Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should magic-league move to cockatrice?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other Software

Would you like to see move away from MWS as our game software?
Yes
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
What the hell is Cockatrice?
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 17

Allista

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Should magic-league move to cockatrice? Reply with quote

I have been a member of magic-league for quite some time now and I know we have always used mws, but my question now is why are we still using it? I play on both Cockatrice and MWS, and Cockatrice stands head and shoulders above MWS and does absolutely everything that MWS does. Can we please rally together as a community and work on getting this changed? I really think it would also help bring new members to magic-league because every time I log onto my Cockatrice server I see over 1K users online. Let's make this happen!
IvanDano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Allista as Cockatrice looks miles and miles ahead of MWS. MWS feels older and there are still matches that have issues with connection and it makes it more difficult to recover from there. I've rarely had issues with Cockatrice and the interface playing feels more like a real game than anytime I've played on MWS. I hope that we can make that move because I feel we can get more members to the site and be more competitive on here.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete magic-league administration is with you. Magic-league should move to cockatrice.
Allista

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derflippi wrote:
Complete magic-league administration is with you. Magic-league should move to cockatrice.

If ye be for me then who can be against me? What do we have to do to make this happen?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ML staff has long stated an interest in moving to Cockatrice, but no one has stepped up to help with the coding. Websites don't run on magic.
Allista

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really a coder, but I will help as much as possible surely to God we have a coder somewhere in our midst!
Livermush

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
ML staff has long stated an interest in moving to Cockatrice, but no one has stepped up to help with the coding. Websites don't run on magic.

the Gathering
Livermush

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site should definitely offer support for all major play applications that use security codes, but unfortunately, the individual who coded the site was European and possibly a barbarian.

Honestly though, just adding Cock would probably double or triple the player-base overnight.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livermush wrote:
double or triple the player-base overnight.

Yeah, I play on 'trice every day, but about once a month on m-l. The last couple of times a new set came out, I was able to update the Cockatrice xml file weeks before the rotation, whereas magic-league made the new sets legal weeks before MWS was capable of supporting them.

Allista wrote:
and I know we have always used mws,

Not true, actually. The primary used to be Apprentice (very similar to Cockatrice) before they made the switch to MWS in 2006, give or take a year. I understand why the league can't currently use Cockatrice, but for the life of me I could never comprehend why they moved to MWS in the first place.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWS and apprentice were used simultaneously for about a year, then a cheat/abuse for apprentice went viral (you were able to re-order your deck without your opponent seeing you open it). With apprentice abusable and nothing worth a crap in production (frankly, cockatrice's interface is still worse), mws became the default.
kenny18O

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not a fan of cockatrice, but increasing the number of players is better than my opinion, so i votes yes
saurgoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
a cheat/abuse for apprentice went viral (you were able to re-order your deck without your opponent seeing you open it).

I remember that - an opponent drew like 20 lands and accused me of reordering his deck, so some judge had me run some program or something that proved I hadn't. Clearly I don't recall the details, but the upshot is that there was a test for the abuse.
_Godica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
(frankly, cockatrice's interface is still worse)

This, a million times. Really the only thing advantage Cockatrice has over MWS is a larger playerbase, which I think is starting to shift toward Xmage now anyway.

saurgoth wrote:
I was able to update the Cockatrice xml file weeks before the rotation, whereas magic-league made the new sets legal weeks before MWS was capable of supporting them.

Actually, there were MWS patches for Fate Reforged available over a week before ML made it legal, about the same time as the first Cock patches. ML just had to hold off on making it legal until it was available on mtgbr because, as you have shown, our average user can't be trusted to find what they need using Google or other resources.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Godica wrote:
Actually, there were MWS patches for Fate Reforged available over a week before ML made it legal

I'll have to take your word for it. I didn't bother to look this time b/c mtgbr had been so late on previous sets.

I could not disagree more on the user interface. It's easier to stack cards and add counters, much easier to create a token, and it has more keyboard shortcuts. (MWS doesn't even have one for scry, which is kinda prevalent nowadays!) Cockatrice gives you an "are you sure" warning before leaving a game, it's available on multiple OS, it's easier to update, it's easier to save deck files, and oh here's a really big one for tournament play: it tracks more things in the log than MWS does. Also there's no "give us $" nag/delay on Cockatrice, and it supports multiplayer matches.

MWS, conversely, splits up the end phase into its steps, which is nice. And the Deck Editor is a little more powerful. I don't see these considerations as being anywhere near as relevant as the litany above.
_Godica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saurgoth wrote:
I could not disagree more on the user interface. It's easier to stack cards and add counters, much easier to create a token, and it has more keyboard shortcuts. (MWS doesn't even have one for scry, which is kinda prevalent nowadays!) Cockatrice gives you an "are you sure" warning before leaving a game, it's available on multiple OS, it's easier to update, it's easier to save deck files, and oh here's a really big one for tournament play: it tracks more things in the log than MWS does. Also there's no "give us $" nag/delay on Cockatrice, and it supports multiplayer matches.

MWS, conversely, splits up the end phase into its steps, which is nice. And the Deck Editor is a little more powerful. I don't see these considerations as being anywhere near as relevant as the litany above.

If you were going to choose between two places from which to order a pizza, would you choose the one whose box took 5 seconds less to open, came with napkins and utensils, has a larger delivery radius, and gives you an "are you sure" warning before you eat the last slice? Or are you going to order from the one that has a better crust and cheese?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2