Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UG gifts

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: UG gifts Reply with quote

Hi, so I was brewing a casual deck to play with some friends built around crystal shard. When I noticed the deck was largely modern legal except for mystic snake and green sunís zenith. So I decided to try and make a competitive modern shell for the deck. The deckís focus is around two cards that have been used together in commander for a long time to do busted things, gifts ungiven and crystal shard.

Come into play effects have got a lot better since when crystal shard won a GP, back in the time of original mirrodin. Gift decks have won countless tournaments also so itís surprising so few people have tried to exploit the natural synergy between these two cards in modern. Gifts Solveís multiple of the issues with crystal shard. 1. Redundant copies are often useless so playing 4 feels wrong 2. You need to be able to consistently cast shard, to abuse your deck to the max though it can still win without it.

To get the crystal shard engine up and running all you need tutor for at any time is, crystal shard, reclaim, eternal witness, X. X could be anything, snapcaster mage to flash back reclaim to get eternal witness and get your engine going. Venser for a soft lock. Sword of feast and famine to start attacking your opponents hand and to make better use of your mana now your hand is chock full of cards from gifts.

The shard engine also allows for nice recurring toolbox, including reclamation shaman for pods and affinity, clique when you need to damage their hand, kitchen finks for when you need life or grind it out vs a load of removal, fetch plus, witness allows you to build up mana for counter war games, snapcaster can flash back any spell you need in your graveyard. Cryptic command plus eternal witness can lock your opponent out of ever attacking again. Sakura Tribe elder allows you a way to play defense and ramp up your mana at the same time, when you just need enough mana to do all the things you want to do before the pressure from the other side gets too much.

Sometimes you will just gift for some combination of cryptic, mana leak, remand, snapcaster, venser and witness, as your already a head and just to make sure you stay ahead, for enough time to kill your opponent.

The basic plan, is to control aggro decks, tempo or value, control decks the deck can do both, tempo and disrupt combo decks. And there is always the possibility the deck can just lock the opponent out. Plenty to think about plenty of decisions to make, a fun challenge to pilot well.

Here is the deck list UG Gifts (note this has been reworked lots over the past few days due to extensive testing, changes and so forth listed below.)

Updated decklist in response to bannings and the new set.

4 Noble hierarch
2 Spell Snare
3 Remand
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Mana Leak
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Threads of disloyalty
1 Vedalken Shackles
3 Kitchen Finks
4 Eternal Witness
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Vendillion Clique
3 Cryptic Command
3 Gifts Ungiven
1 Thragtusk

4 Breeding Pool
2 Forest
4 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Hinterland Harbour
2 Flooded Grove
2 Treetop Village
2 Faerie Conclave
1 Tectonic Edge

Sideboard

1 Obstinate Baloth (Burn, Jund, decks with lili, delver, hatebears)
1 Spellskite (Twin, Infect, burn, hexproof, delver, affinity)
1 Deglamer ( Affinity, Tron with wurmcoil, burn, twin, random hate cards)
2 Gutshot ( Infect, delver, affinity, junk, jund)
1 Threads of disloyalty (Aggro, Jund, affinity, infect, delver, junk)
2 Hurkyl's Recall (affinity)
2 Creeping Corrosion (affinity)
1 Naturalize (Pod,Hexproof, affinity, random hate cards, burn eidloon moon)
1 Tormod's Crypt (living end, storm)
1 Back to Nature (hexproof)
1 Thragtusk (Junk, Burn, Uwr)
1 Tectonic Edge, (Tron, Scapeshift, Control)

The banning's were great news for this deck, as Pod was it's worst match up prior to khans and it just could not compete with cruise and dig decks. I've added a tectonic edge to help against tron i can always recur with witness if needs be it also give's me an answer to manland's see colonnade and treetop village.

Thragtusk was added, as it pairs up well vs siego rhino, helps me recover in games i fall behind in which is nice in a tempo deck, plus its just a solid value card which improves my attrition game.

Sower of Temptation has been removed as it's just to weak to removal. Spell snare has been added, as it's an efficient card that stops many troublesome cards, scavenging ooze, dark confidant, cranial plating, ravager, also handy vs mana leak, remand, young pryromancer.

Simic Signet has been removed, as the deck's curve has been lowered a bit and i feel i can get away with less accelerators now. Vendillion Clique was added, as a versatile threat, that provides info distrupts combos and provides a fast clock.

Lots of one offs in the board, so as to be able to set up devastating gifts vs a multitude of decks, I will leave you to work them out for yourselves.

Edit after a days testing vs jund and tempo twin, I've gone -1 reclaim, -1 recliamation sage, -1 forest -1 sakura tribe elder for + 1 vedalken shackle's, +1 thread's of disloyalty, +1 scavenging ooze +1 mystic snake. Jund was causing problems but the changes have improved things tempo twin seems to be slightly favorable.

Further changes after testing vs Uwr control, mana base alterations to include more man lands and fetches plus -1 kitchen finks, -1 crystal shard, -1 venser shaper savant, +1 cryptic command, +1 thrun the last troll, +1 reclaim. I have a good twin, uwr match up now, jund is pretty even, affinity is good after board.

Latest update's I'm entirely happy with the list now gone -1 birds of paradise +1 island as the deck does not like missing land, -1 crystal shard sadly it was not doing enough so it's just a gift's deck +1 mana leak. Testing vs infect tonight unwinnable game 1 but have a chance once I have boarded.

Changes after testing vs pod -1 island +1 cryptic command.

After remembering noxious revival, is a card have gone minus a reclaim, plus a noxious revival, as it's just strictly better.

Have added in a simic signet for scavenging ooze, it was under performing and did not feel like it warranted its place in the deck. I felt the deck was a little clunky with 9 4 drops but that is where the curve ends and none of them are cuttable as all 9 of them are performing well. I dislike mana elves vs uwr though as they die alot and having enough mana is key. Nobles exalted ability makes it to good to not play. I'm hoping the signet should do a little to resolving clunk issue's. Its not a big issue but we shall see.

I'm considering adding another noxious revival. Being able to gifts for revival witness plus two whatever I like for a second time would be nice. Vendilion Clique has been performing to a slightly above average level and would be the drop. I'm just not a fan of card disadvantage and keep imaging opening hands with two noxious revivals in.

Changes after more testing, in with 3 kitchen finks as online meta appears to be more aggressive -1 gifts, its hard to have enough time vs many decks to resolve multiple in a game -1 vendillion clique, -1 noxious revival.

Further changes, remand has proven to be ineffective if you fall behind in a game, which can happen if you lose the die roll, very easily on turn 2 so I have cut down to three. Scavenging Ooze has been added, although I was not happy with the initial testing of this card. I felt the deck needed another threat, that was on curve as I did not wish to make the curve any higher and this best fits that bill. A faerie conclave has also been added for a treetop village. The evasion is sometimes more relevant than the bigger body, these could be adjusted further after more testing.

Break down of match ups

Jund

Grindy match, Gifts is the key card to this match up. If you resolve it on a deadboard and it looks like they have a hand full of removal. You can go Thrun, Sword of Feast and Famine Witness, reclaim and that will result in a win in most situations. If they have creatures in play gift for threads, shackles, witness reclaim or sometimes sower of temptation will often result in a win. Bob is there best card vs you but if you gifts like i just described vs them it often results in a win. Slightly favorable.

UWR

This match up is all about resolving thrun. Its quite easy to get as hard for them to stop a gifts resolving at some point, as they do not have many counters and you can play gifts anytime. Gifting for thrun, witness, reclaim X. X sometimes being cryptic, shackles, sword, snap caster depending on the situation. Favorable.

TempoTwin,

This match up is all about tempo, whoever gets a head normally wins, Tarmogoyf is huge, tree top village does a lot of work also. Gifts is less pivotal than usual but still very good, if your a head gifts for cryptic, mana leak, witness, snapcaster in generally good. Noble exalted helps in this match up, witnesses and treetops often grind out this match. Slightly favorable match.

Affinity

They are favourite preboard, its hard to win unless they mulligan into oblivion or keep a do nothing hand. The deck seemed to have a lot of bad hands when i was testing it. The key after board is the 4 recalls, 2 oxidize for 4 remand, 1 sword of feast and famine, 1 thrun. Witness is also great after board, recurring recalls wins games. Good after board.

Infect

Impossible to win game 1, my deck has no real removal. A very complicated and difficult match up after board even with meleria but now slightly favourable. in with 2 spellskites, 1 gutshot, 2 meleria syvolk outcast, 2 oxidize, 1 spell pierce 2 threads of disloyalty. Out with gifts, remands, thrun and a land. Your curve is much lower now!

Pod

Pod is such an impressive deck, a beauty of deck construction. It has no real weaknesses and can handle most things. It's a tough match up and it favours them slightly. Its really hard to beat a pod resolved early, though you do have ways to answer it, in counters. If pod does resolve, the only way you are really going to win is by chaining multiple cryptic commands, or if your lucky by gifting something like, shackles, sower, witness, reclaim or maybe sword. Sower, Threads, shackles, sword are all really strong cards in this match up as is cryptic and gifts. Stealing there creatures is the way to go. township and a swarm of creatures can cause issues also. I found pod mulliganed a bit more than usual 3 colours, 3 townships, 23 lands and all. Worst match up so far.

UR delver

I'm not entirely sure about this match up yet. The first few times I played it I won convincingly but then i lost a few. If you fall behind it's hard to get back in the game. But similarly if you get a head its hard for them. But you have more chance of getting back from behind than they do. Tarmogoyf is huge in this match up.

Hexproof

Very hard to win game 1 your only chance is to lock them out of attacking you with cryptic and and witness. After board you get back to nature, naturalize, spell pierce and spellskite. Which makes the match up much easier considering you also have gifts.

Hatebears

This match up is just depressing. Thalia, avenmind censor, the guy you have to pay 2 to be able to search libraries, vial to get round counters. This deck really fucks with your plan. A nightmare to play against.

Adnaseum - Pressure plus counters will see you win this match up. Its quite favourable goyf is a big card, in not giving them enough time. Good match up.

Burn - Even match up finks and tarmogoyf are key to winning but eidlon, is a hard card to beat. Giving burn another actual good card apart from lightning bolt. Eidlon has made the deck much better in my opinion than it was.

Scapeshift, I've had limited testing vs this deck, but it feels like the only unfavorable pure combo match up you have. As it has more disruption than most the other combo decks in the format. Plus with its ramp can easily get to far ahead of you on mana, making counter wars difficult.

In light of jeskai ascendcy. Personally I do not think the deck will live up to the hype. It might become a major player. It might get banned more on hype than anything else. I've only played it once so far but I did win. The deck does a lot of damage to itself mana wise. There are no established 4 colour decks in modern atm for a reason.

There are plenty of ways to beat it, if your able to apply pressure at the same time it feels to me. Tarmogoyf plus counters proved to be enough in my encounter. I suspect you may want an extra spell pierce in the bored as a reaction. And if it does start dominating the mana base may need adjusting a little, to allow for 12 untapped blue sources turn 1 and more spell pierces in the bored. To go with the gut shots and enchant removal, that should do the job. Treasure cruise is a different matter and is even a consideration for this deck, though it does not play well with tarmogoyf or witness. I suspect this card will get banned because draw 3 cards for one mana, is broken any time of the game, even if it requires some leg work to play cruise as recall, its not like thoughtscour or sleight of hand are bad cards anyway .

I played vs ascendacy again and won once again, it feels like a good match up if you play tight. I had to hard cast snapcaster mage eot turn 2 to get a clock going, he saw i had multiple remands and tried to build up a mass of mana dorks to force through ascendacy, however I cryptic his team and bounced a land on his turn to leave him with only 1 in play. Then killed him the following go. Game 2 (i added a spell pierce to the bored its nice to note. He started of with some scry, I establish tarogoyf turn 3 with spell pierce back up, I spell pierece his ascendacy. he makes a mana guy which i gut shot and pass, I smash with tarmogoyf and make a finks with one blue mana up, he has 4 lands in play, he can go of if he has, ascendacy, second land that can produce red, mana dork as he has none atm and red wisp. That combination is unlikely enough with a five card hand that i decide the next turn kill is worth it, as my hand is just a naturalize and land at this point. He thinks for a bit and concedes.

Thoughts about the new-meta I'd say this deck is virtually unplayable now I've stopped playing it anyway. I now have a terrible match up in delver and the version that one the gp maybe just a better option than this deck. Treasure Cruise is just better than gifts as is dig and its not like i can just replace gifts with tc or dig as it's such a unique card and require's some tailoring. If delver dies down the deck may become a thing again. Burn is now harder to beat also though. Pod was my one bad match up of the tier one old decks and that's still kicking strong. If ascendacy ever does become a thing then this deck becomes much better as it's going to beat any incarnation of that deck. Realistically probably not going to play modern until tc gets banned now. Tried delver, was not for me, did not enjoy playing it. To aggressive for my tastes.

Thoughtís appreciated.

Last edited by GreenBear on Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:50 pm; edited 71 times in total
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, Mystic Snake is modern legal.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh of course it was time shifted, I'm not even sure if it's good enough to make a competitive version of the deck. It's defiantly a solid option though, so it could be. Thanks I will keep it in mind if a slot open's up after further testing.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record I just won a daily modern event on modo with this list.

R1 I was paired vs living end, I have early pressure with goyf plus double remand and some eternal witnesses so it was an easy win. Game 2 I mulligan to 5 and keep a one land hand with scavenging ooze. I draw a land, he tries to attack my lands but i keep drawing them. He cascades just to destroy the ooze. I rebuild with a goyf and kitcen finks, he tries to cascade again, still with no creatures in graveyard. I have cryptic and thats game.

R2 burn he suspend rift bolt turn 1, I make a noble hierach, turn 2 he makes a hellspark elemental and bolts me. I make a kitchen finks turn 2. He follows up this turn with a lava spike and a grimlava mancer. I have double goyf on my turn. he kills the finks with lava mancer for some reason and gives me more life. I have gifts to make my tarogoyfs huge and they take the game. Game 2 he has turn 1 rift bolt again I have heirach, he hits rift bolt at me and makes a lavamancer. I drop finks. he lava spikes me and passes with two lands. I draw obstinate baloth play it and the rest of the match is academic from there.

R3 affinity He wins game 1 he has a second turn ensoul artifact and darksteel citadel I have threads in my hand all game but can not draw a 2nd blue source :< game 2 I mulligan to 5 he mulligans to four, he just beats with little guys and i have a gofy, I oxidize a plating, reclaim another and eventually draw a gifts for, naturalize, hurkyls recall, snapcaster mage eternal witness which wins the game. He goes to 6 and i keep a hand with multiple goyfs, a kitchen finks and heiracrh, he just has little guys but has a relic of progentius which means my goyfs are ineffective. We beat each other down for a while, but i draw recall, followed by recall at some point and thats enough to take the game.

R4 faeries, he gets me with a shadow of doubt when i go to get a fetch but has little pressure, to follow it up, but is beating down with muta vaults i resolve a finks which trades with muta vault then i resolve a sword of feast and famine, which equipped to a faerie conclave slowly takes game 1. Game 2 he goes for 3rd turn bitterblossom, i have leak, but he has spell snare. On my turn i drop sword again he thoughseizes me on my go and takes thrun:< I drop a goyf but do not equip sword as i have remand, he goes for end of turn ven clique i remand. I equip sword on gofy next go and its an 7/8 already so my opponent is straight to chump blocking. I resolves a finks counter a cryptic and sword on goyf takes the game.

Very Happy
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just made it two daily's in a row

R1 burn he has turn 1 guide I have heirarch followed by tarmogoyf, his goblin guide reveals a gifts, he has turn 2 eidlon, i have turn 2 tarmogoyf. Turn 3 he attacks into my goyf desptite the revealed gifts and ends up losing his eidlon. The game runs tight from here but my finks and a second goyf tie up the game before he can draw enough burn. Game 2 he wins super fast with guide, into hellspark, into guide and burn. Game 3 my modo crashed and when i log back in, it has unsideboarded for me with 0 time left on the clock. He has double relic i make some dudes he burns me a bit, me makes and eidloon I steal it with sower and pass he makes another eidlon and passes. I bash with, sower, faerie conclave and and eidlon, he takes 6 and is now in deep trouble as all his spells are going to cost him 4 life and hes behind he sacs some relics, to try and draw out, he manages to kill sower, but I get him in a situation where if he casts a spell under 4cc he dies and win.

R2, TempoTwin I have heirach and 2 early tarmogoyfs, plus double mana leak which take the game. Game 2 my opponent gets and early goyf and we trade blows for a bit, with various stuff getting countered he resolves a batterskull, I bounce it but a few turns later it resolves again, im put on the defensive, he cryptics my team, all he has to do it attack for the win, but he never does and times out.

R3 burn, finks and goyfs takes both games.

R4 affinity I lose game 1 as i really can not win, game 2 i get a hand with tripple witness and recall i win easliy. game 3 I mulligan to 5 looking for a hatespell but do not find one. I have a shackles though and a thread ans his draw is not that fast, a timely recall draw followed by some goyf beats and drawing some hate spells draws a concession when i draw a witness to fetch recall.

Very Happy
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went 3-1 in a daily.

R1 Junk, game 1 he just has ravens crime and gofy whilst i have a scanvenging ooze which renders his goyf usless plus a finks and witness. Game 2 He has lili and a ton of removal i lose to a big night of reliqualry. Game 3 he abrupt decays a couple of goyfs. But then i threads his goyf and make a sword of feast and famine, sword takes the game. 2-1

R2 mono red control, it has md bloodmoon, skred, demigod, lots of red board sweepers boros reconer. I've played him before in two mans so i fetch all basics, make a team of finks goyf and another finks, and various green beaters which take the game as his blood moon is in effective as i ahve basics plus signet in play. Game 2, he blows me out with relic removing everything followed by anger of the goods killing 2 finks and 2 goyfs. Game 3 we pass back and forth for a bit, he has relic again, but i have naturalze for it. I gift for all lands as i have a second and plan on grinding him out and have been stuck on 4 lands, thrun and varius random green guys beat down whilst my counter suite stops him resolving anything relevant. 2-1

R3 Hexproof, he mulligans to 4 game 1, and i narowly beat him thats how bad this match up is pre board, sword did most the work once again. Game 2 1 spell pierce his first,enchant, then leak the next two he petters out of gas, whilst im beating down with scavenging ooze and assorted green guys, cyrptic tapping down his team takes the game. 2-0

R4 GW hate bears I mull to 5 game one make a fight of it though with double goyf, but he has vial and a vialed brimaz messes up my plans. game 2 i have noble into sword, my opponenet is stuck on 2 lands for a while, i amass a giant team of guys plus shackles for the concession taking full of advange of the swords untap land effect. Game 3 I mull to 6 he has 2 vials and a load of gas but only my counters 2 i left in are useless stuck in my hand, he also resolves a choke at some point, i cryptic it end of turn and plan on snap castering crypic on his upkeep to tap his two hierachs and rest of team, plus bounce a land so he can not replay choke, hoping 2 goyfs, i have on board plus, finks sower in hand can steal the game some how. However eot he uses vial to play flickerwisp removing one of my lands, so i no longer have the mana for my plan to work. GG 1-2
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated decklist in response to bannings and the new set.

4 Noble hierarch
2 Spell Snare
3 Remand
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Mana Leak
1 Snapcaster Mage
1 Threads of disloyalty
1 Vedalken Shackles
3 Kitchen Finks
4 Eternal Witness
1 Sword of Feast and Famine
1 Vendillion Clique
3 Cryptic Command
3 Gifts Ungiven
1 Thragtusk

4 Breeding Pool
2 Forest
4 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Hinterland Harbour
2 Flooded Grove
2 Treetop Village
2 Faerie Conclave
1 Tectonic Edge

Sideboard

1 Obstinate Baloth (Burn, Jund, decks with lili, delver, hatebears)
1 Spellskite (Twin, Infect, burn, hexproof, delver, affinity)
1 Deglamer ( Affinity, Tron with wurmcoil, burn, twin, random hate cards)
2 Gutshot ( Infect, delver, affinity, junk, jund)
1 Threads of disloyalty (Aggro, Jund, affinity, infect, delver, junk)
2 Hurkyl's Recall (affinity)
2 Creeping Corrosion (affinity)
1 Naturalize (Pod,Hexproof, affinity, random hate cards, burn eidloon moon)
1 Tormod's Crypt (living end, storm)
1 Back to Nature (hexproof)
1 Thragtusk (Junk, Burn, Uwr)
1 Tectonic Edge, (Tron, Scapeshift, Control)

The banning's were great news for this deck, as Pod was it's worst match up prior to khans and it just could not compete with cruise and dig decks. I've added a tectonic edge to help against tron i can always recur with witness if needs be it also give's me an answer to manland's see colonnade and treetop village.

Thragtusk was added, as it pairs up well vs siego rhino, helps me recover in games i fall behind in which is nice in a tempo deck, plus its just a solid value card which improves my attrition game.

Sower of Temptation has been removed as it's just to weak to removal. Spell snare has been added, as it's an efficient card that stops many troublesome cards, scavenging ooze, dark confidant, cranial plating, ravager, also handy vs mana leak, remand, young pryromancer.

Simic Signet has been removed, as the deck's curve has been lowered a bit and i feel i can get away with less accelerators now. Vendillion Clique was added, as a versatile threat, that provides info distrupts combos and provides a fast clock.

Last edited by GreenBear on Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:49 pm; edited 7 times in total
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went 3-1 in a daily event.

r1 uwr delver 2-0

r2 rug twin 1-2

r3 uwr control 2-0

r4 4cc control 2-0.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went 4-0 in a daily

Round 1 UWR delver 2-1

Round 2 Junk 2-1

Round 3 Scapeshift 2-1

Round 4 RW brew 2-0

Smile
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went 3-1 in daily, lost in the last round to the same guy i beat last time playing the rw deck.

Round 1 GW beats 2-1

Round 2 Infect 2-1

Round 3 No Show 1-0

Round 4 RW brew 0-2
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1