Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 295 - Card Hospital (JUDGED)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
sc4rs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DuckyNinja wrote:
Font of Hidden Evil - 6
Legendary Artifact (Mythic Rare)
Each player's maximum hand size is three.
At the beginning of each player's draw step, that player draws an additional card.
Whenever a player discards a card, that player loses 2 life.
If each player has no cards in hand, sacrifice Font of Hidden Evil. If Font is sacrificed this way, put a 5/5 black Horror creature token with intimidate and shroud onto the battlefield.

I think the first three effects on this card are really cool and unique. I think the fourth ability may take it a step to the extreme in complexity - which is the problem with the original. I do like that all the effects go together to create the flavor, however.

iSperia wrote:
Cruel Link - 1BR
Enchantment - rare
Whenever a player loses life, he or she discards a card.
Whenever a player gains life, he or she discards a card.
Whenever a player has no cards in hand, sacrifice Cruel Link. If you do, put 4/4 black and red devil creature token on the battlefield.

This is pretty straightforward, though I'm not sure I like the symmetry of it hitting yourself. I think the mode where this is secretly just a 4/4 for 3 when you have hellbent isn't worth the feel-bad moments when your opponent makes you discard cards just by pinging you with something.

Thelemys wrote:
Quote:
Wisdom's Tyrant 2BR
Creature - Demon R
Whenever a player draws a card, tht player loses 2 life unless he or she discards a card.
"If you would be a true seeker after truth, doubt everything in your life at least once." Descartes

art: http://michaeljaecks.deviantart.com/art/Eye-Tyrant-356883770

I assume this is actually an enchantment. This reminds me a lot of Mogis, with the punisher mechanic, 2 life, and a 2BR casting cost. I think this is a little bit more brutal as it more or less forces your opponent to lose 2 life every turn or be locked out of the game. Balanced but not super original, and it only takes a little bit of the flavor of the challenge into consideration.

Livermush wrote:
Nazguul bin-Draar, Dimir Font | UB
Legendary Artifact (Mythic)

When an opponent draws or discards a card, put a charge counter on Dimir Font.

Remove X charge counters, tap: choose one - remove X counters from target permanent, put an X/X black horror creature token into play, or target opponent puts the top X cards of their library into the graveyard.

Making a 1/1 on your turn every turn starting on turn 2 with no further investment is already in the realm of Bitterblossom (no flying and no lifeloss basically cancels out), but the ability to make bigger creatures, ruin your opponents creatures with +1/+1 counters in combat, kill planeswalkers, and randomly mill sometimes makes this have far too much utility for 2 mana. Far too powerful.

Soundgarden wrote:
I always loved Nekusar, the Mindrazer EDH decks.
With so many wheel effects and draw/discard damage cards and its latest addition of M15: Waste Not!

Nekusar's Dreams UBR
Enchantment - Rare
Whenever a player draws or discards a card, Nekusarís Dreams deals 1 damage to that player.
Sacrifice Nekusarís Dreams: Put a 5/5 black Minion token into play. Activate this ability only if a player has 0 or 7 or more cards in his or her hand.

Artwork credits go to http://www.deviantart.com/art/The-Mindrazer-466237354

I'm not sure why the first ability causes damage whenever anyone gets closer to or further from the goal of the second ability - the name ties into underworld dreams well but doesn't give much flavor to the actual card's effect. Like Cruel Link, the secret mode of a 5/5 for UBR when hellbent or with a full hand is interesting, especially with a card that only punishes you with a little bit of damage, but still creates some feel-bad with the symmetry.

IvanDano wrote:
Statue of the Living God

Artifact - Legendary Feathered Serpent God

Indestructible

Tap: Choose one - Sacrifice a creature and gain 2 life; or draw a card and lose 2 life.

13 - Statue of the Living God becomes a 13/13 Inconceivable Entity with Haste, Flying, Trample, and First Strike. If Statue of the Living God deals combat damage to a player, you may destroy target nonland permanent.

The first ability here is very flavorful - different kinds of sacrificing leading to different rewards seems like the type of thing an Eldrazi-esque statue would do. That said, there are lots of errors with this submission in the typeline (you would have to have Tribal be a type to have it be a Feathered Serpent God, Legendary is a supertype) and then having it become a creature with a different creature type when activated, with random abilities (haste? is that really necessary when you would need 17 mana to play and activate this in the same turn?) makes this a little too messy to be in contention.

Stucco wrote:
Fountain of Wisdom....................3
Legendary Artifact.......................M

Whenever a spell or ability causes you to draw a card, put a charge counter on Fountain of Wisdom.

Remove 2 charge counters from Fountain of Wisdom: Choose one - Target player gains 2 life, or target player loses 2 life, or remove 2 loyalty counters from target planeswalker.

"It was said the fountain could turn an ordinary human into a Planeswalker. The truth is, I've become so much more."- Aarion Vaihl

This is much more straightforward than the other submissions so far - drawing more cards leads to more life manipulation. I like that it hits planeswalkers too, but I think dealing 2 damage to target player would have been more elegant. The flavor text is interesting and ties in the card's ability a little bit, but Fountain of Wisdom doesn't exactly explain why this can harm people as well as heal them.

saurgoth wrote:
Fountain of Wisdom 0

Artifact [U]

2, Tap: Draw a card. You lose 1 life.

This fountain was used sparingly, due to all the dead pigeons.

Illus. 1994 Daniel Orton

This is too powerful. Every control deck in the history of Magic would play this as a 4-of.

wolfman2nast wrote:
Psychic Siege 1UB

Enchantment R

Whenever a player would draw a card, that player may instead put a Dementia counter on Psychic Siege and gain 2 life.

When a player draws a card, he or she loses X life unless he or she discards exactly X cards, where X is the number of Dementia counters on Psychic Siege .

Remove 6 Dementia counters from Psychic Siege: Psychic Siege becomes a 6/6 colorless Siege Beast creature with hexproof, trample, and reach.

I like the idea of a card that gains counters by skipping draws, but this seems to force some unfun gameplay - at about 3 counters, this becomes all the game is about, and if it gets any higher than 6 without its controller feeling like making a 6/6 (or with its controller knowing his or her opponent has a Devour Flesh in hand), the game becomes a complete standstill. As such, I don't think this could be printed as-is, without some failsafe to keep the game from becoming a deadlock.

Bejeezus wrote:
Mimisbrunnr | 4

Legendary Artifact (R)

Pay 1 life, Tap: Scry 1, then draw a card.

From sacrifice comes wisdom.

Distilled down to the very essence of sacrificing for wisdom, I like everything about this card except the costing, and that's only a little bit aggressive for my taste. I think that something like Bottled Cloister compares favorably to the power level of this card - this is obviously a little better due to untap shenanigans and the added scry 1, but worse due to being Legendary and costing life. This would definitely see a lot of play, but I think it would cause interesting games, especially since a draw-go control deck that would want this effect still needs to find time to cast a 4 mana sorcery-speed artifact. Nicely done.

xxapathyxx wrote:
Fountain of manna 2
R

Whenever fountain of manna enters the battlefield, draw a card.

Whenever you draw a card, put a counter onto fountain of manna.

2 tap: Remove a counter off of fountain of manna; you may gain 2 life; or you may have target opponent lose 1 life; or
Remove 9 counters off of fountain of manna; sacrifice fountain of manna and put a 6/6 artifact creature with trample and shroud into play.

" We kept feeding it until it was too large for us to control."

The ability is kind of a mess, but I like the idea of a card where you could gain either an incremental advantage or save up for a really big effect. Aside from the wording issues I actually think this is really good design - it doesn't do much but there would be games where the abilities on this would do just enough to make the tension palpable - especially in Limited where 1 damage or 2 life a turn could easily turn a race, or a very controlling deck would appreciate a 6/6 shroud after a few turns. Again, templating issues out the wazoo for sure, but I kinda like this one!

Dr_Moo wrote:
Infernal Construct - 4 (Rare)
Artifact

At the beginning of each player's draw step, he or she draws a card and loses 1 life.

Whenever a player draws a card, if he or she has 10 or less life, put a charge counter on Infernal Construct.

Remove 3 charge counters from Infernal Construct and sacrifice it: Put a 5/5 Black Demon creature token onto the battlefield.

The only complaint I have about this is flavor-wise, I feel like it should be black. Otherwise, it's a very nifty take on a Howling Mine, and the ability triggering off players being damaged already ties nicely into the flavor. I really like how well the abilities play together and that this isn't overcosted or undercosted for any of the effects (Howling Mine plus upside or a 5/5 with hoops to jump through both cost around 4). Great submission.

I think Dr_Moo's card wins, but Bejeezus was a very, very close 2nd. Third place I give to xxapathyxx, who despite templating issues made a pretty cool take on the card.
Soundgarden

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure why the first ability causes damage whenever anyone gets closer to or further from the goal of the second ability

Am I really the only one here who plays EDH??

Congrats to Dr_Moo.

Runner up card has nothing to do with the original card that had to be fixed.

New round.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundgarden wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure why the first ability causes damage whenever anyone gets closer to or further from the goal of the second ability

Am I really the only one here who plays EDH??

Congrats to Dr_Moo.

Runner up card has nothing to do with the original card that had to be fixed.

New round.

I get why the first ability exists and like it as a callback to Nekusar, but flavorwise the second ability and first ability don't really mesh, is what I was trying to point out.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this could be a good card
Quote:
Whenever a player draws a card, tht player loses 2 life unless he or she discards a card.
you found another better: go next!!!
SylentNyte

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much good stuff in here. How would I ever pick just one Evil or Very Mad ?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2