Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What happened to Magic-league?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Jacois

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: What happened to Magic-league? Reply with quote

Hey hey! On Christmas day of 2012 I started playing League of Legends and stopped playing magic here on ML. I came back last week. Seems to be MUCH more quiet. Little to no new threads with decklists, the chat room is easily a third of what it was, no comments on the trial decklists...

Anyways, just wanted a recap of the last 14 months from anyone that's been around since then.
Steveman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a combination of many things.

- Losing old blood, not gaining enough new blood.
- Competition to various other "free" games.
- A lot of our senior members have moved on to other things.
- Niknight refuses to re-judge me.
saurgoth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I observed the same thing when I returned a few weeks ago. I had been gone for much longer, however - around 7 years - so for me it's worth noting that activity was high as recently 14 months ago.

Personally I would play more often if MWS would just f*ing work.

When you speak of competition from other "free" games, you wouldn't happen to be referring to any other places to play MTG, would you? If they exist and they use another program, I'd love to hear about them.
Steveman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free games ie League of Legends. There's a lot more "free" games than there was 10 years ago, ML has a lot more competition than it did before.
_Godica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What happened to Magic-league? Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
On Christmas day of 2012 I started playing League of Legends and stopped playing magic here on ML.

I think this pretty much sums it up.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add that the failure of anyone to provide a replacement for MWS (which is an old program and getting older fast) is to blame as well. I've heard of very large casual cockatrice channels, but ML has not implemented it because it cannot even live up to the standard set by MWS. Octgn keeps making promises and not delivering as do many others. People don't want a better interface (even for stuff that is free lol) and we can't give it to them because it doesn't exist.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're also a bunch of other F2P CCGs now (Hearthstone, Solforge etc.) . Magic is strictly superior to those, but MWS being old and clunky to use/setup can be a pain.
shadowist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean ML has not implemented it because it cannot even live up to the standard set by MWS?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowist wrote:
What do you mean ML has not implemented it because it cannot even live up to the standard set by MWS?

The official stance of the page is that a play application must live up to 3 standards:
1. It must have security codes to identify a deck with.
2. It must show whether a deck is pre-sideboarded or not.
3. It must have text log files for judges to view.
Zits

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Cockatrice has all tree standards.
shadowist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx, if you actually understand Cockatrice, you will know that Cockatrice has both #1 and #2. It just can't do #3 yet...
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cockatrice saves logs already, just noone has access to them Razz
Strid3r

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMA-Flippi wrote:
cockatrice saves logs already, just noone has access to them Razz

Looks like cockatrice is really close to breakthrough then Razz.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowist wrote:
xJudicatorx, if you actually understand Cockatrice, you will know that Cockatrice has both #1 and #2. It just can't do #3 yet...
Personally, I can't stand the GUI either, or the fact that I have to install images in order to get card text. But as you said, it doesn't even meet the minimum standards yet.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to download cockatrice and all I got was a virus lol, so I quickly gave up on that one and MWS is getting very close to buggy to play with.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2