Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC #268

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
shadowist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: CAC #268 Reply with quote

The Future is here!

For this challenge, make a card using a mechanic from a future-shifted card that has not been done by Wizards before (post Future Sight). Judging will be based on printability, creativity, flavor, and function. Also, please note which card was the inspiration and how the mechanic ties in with your card.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloompack
3GG
Sorcery - Rare
Put a 2/2 green Wolf token onto the battlefield.
Gravestorm
In the aftermath of battle, the fresh carrion draws the gloomwolves from all corners of Shadowmoor.
Raybelfast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Cobra GGG

Creature - Snake - Rare
Poisonous 3.

1/4
Thelemys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vae Victis 2BBB
Instant U
If you've cast another black spell this turn, you may cast Vae Victis without paying its mana cost.
Target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn.
Vanquished are those who do not hope to defeat the enemy.

Inspired by Patrician's Scorn and Dismember: http://magiccards.info/fut/en/29.html
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denoe Olvera 1BUG

Planeswalker - Denoe (mythic)

+1 The next spell you cast this turn has delve.

-1 Return target card from your graveyard to your hand. Then put the top X card from your library into your graveyard, where X is that card's converted mana cost.

-6 You get an emblem with "You may cast non-land cards you own from exile."

Selkie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This card could never get printed in the New World Order. Nonetheless, it is very much so from Future Sight (Well, more like an Un-card, but you get the idea):

I-Do-Everything Weenie

WU

Kithkin

Rare

Transfigure 2UW

Protection from Contraptions

Absorb 2

Delve Really only applicable if someone makes ~ cost more, like trinisphere

When ~ ETB's, fateseal 1

Frenzy 1

UUUWWW Creature Swap

Kithkin Cycling WU

2/1

Catherine could never settle on one thing, so she became the villages jack of all trades
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About as complicated as it could be. The high costs are to justify the EXTREME flexibility this card has, along with the potential to cheat things into play. Don't be decieved by the P/T, read the abilities.
pantheismftw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightning Drudge 5R

Instant

Lightning Drudge Deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

Delve (You may exile any number of cards from your graveyard as you cast this spell. It costs 1 Mana less to cast for each card exiled this way.)
Destroy target nongreen creature. It can't be regenerated.

Sometimes Necromancers even work with Lavamancers, anything to keep a steady supply of bodies.

I think it is just tragic delve only was on 3 cards ever, that is such an awesome mechanic. I really hope that it comes back soon!
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steamflogger Devastator - 1RR
Creature - Goblin Rigger (uncommon)
T: Assemble a Contraption (To assemble a contraption, you put indestructibe Contraption Artifact Token with shroud onto the battlefield)
Sacrifice two contraptions you control: Destroy target land.
Let reveal what all this Contraptions mean - Chandra, the Pyromaster
2/3
kenny18O

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steamflogger worker RRR

creature - goblin rigger (uncommon)

At the beggining of your upkeep, put a 0/1 artifact creature junk
token into the battlefield.

3, sacrifice 2 junk tokens, T : Assemble a contaption (put a 2/2 contraption artifact creature token or a 1/1 flying contraption artifact creature token into the battlefield).

2/2

Last edited by kenny18O on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Canabiest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runedepth Broadshield
1WW
Creature - Dwarf Warrior
Uncommon

Absorb 2

Runedepth Broadshield can block an additional creature.

2/1

The Inspiration was Lymph Sliver or the Absorb mechanic on it. Which is very strong.
The guy is a very good defensive creature but better against small multiple small guys than just a big one. So that seemed kind of interesting with the mechanic and shows how it is different from a pure toughness boost.

Last edited by Canabiest on Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flogged Underling 1R

Creature - Goblin Rigger [Uncommon]

Flogged Underling enters the battlefield with two Scrap Metal counters on it.

T: Flogged Underling assembles a Contraption with "X, T: Flip a coin. If heads, this Contraption deals X damage to target creature or player. If tails, sacrifice this Contraption." (To assemble a Contraption, remove two Scrap Metal counters from a permanent you control. Then put a Contraption Artifact token onto the battlefield.)

1/1

------------------

So the idea here is that Contraptions by themselves have no inherent abilities or meanings. Whatever they're assembled by is what gives them abilities.

It also allows individual creatures to give Contraptions unique abilities. For example, a blue/red Rigger might assemble Contraptions that let you discard a card to draw a card.

The other part is that they're Contraptions. They're volatile, unstable, and unreliable. So all Contraptions under my version of the type would have to be sacrificed to be used, or involve flipping a coin to be used. This one involves flipping a coin, obviously.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more?
shadowist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc4rs wrote:
Gloompack
3GG
Sorcery - Rare
Put a 2/2 green Wolf token onto the battlefield.
Gravestorm
In the aftermath of battle, the fresh carrion draws the gloomwolves from all corners of Shadowmoor.

A very well designed card. It may be strong in Legacy (I don't understand Legacy, so I'm no authority). If gravestorm returns as a mechanic, we probably will see a card like this. 19/20

Raybelfast wrote:
King Cobra GGG

Creature - Snake - Rare
Poisonous 3.

1/4

Why would I want to open this card as a rare? Why would this card cost GGG? Typically, a card that costs multiple requirements of that color represents a more extreme part of the color pie (something like 2C could represent a Democrat while something like CCC would represent an anarchist). 10/20

thelemys wrote:
Quote:
Vae Victis 2BBB
Instant U
If you've cast another black spell this turn, you may cast Vae Victis without paying its mana cost.
Target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn.
Vanquished are those who do not hope to defeat the enemy.

Inspired by Patrician's Scorn and Dismember: http://magiccards.info/fut/en/29.html

Nice! And you were one of the few who actually put the card inspired you. This card probably will see print. 19.5/20

pseudodespot wrote:
Denoe Olvera 1BUG

Planeswalker - Denoe (mythic)

+1 The next spell you cast this turn has delve.

-1 Return target card from your graveyard to your hand. Then put the top X card from your library into your graveyard, where X is that card's converted mana cost.

-6 You get an emblem with "You may cast non-land cards you own from exile."

This card is probably too broken (though the 3 color requirement does mitigate that somehow). 16/20

Selkie wrote:
This card could never get printed in the New World Order. Nonetheless, it is very much so from Future Sight (Well, more like an Un-card, but you get the idea):

I-Do-Everything Weenie

WU

Kithkin

Rare

Transfigure 2UW

Protection from Contraptions

Absorb 2

Delve Really only applicable if someone makes ~ cost more, like trinisphere

When ~ ETB's, fateseal 1

Frenzy 1

UUUWWW Creature Swap

Kithkin Cycling WU

2/1

Catherine could never settle on one thing, so she became the villages jack of all trades
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About as complicated as it could be. The high costs are to justify the EXTREME flexibility this card has, along with the potential to cheat things into play. Don't be decieved by the P/T, read the abilities.

NO!!!!! 7/20

pantheismftw wrote:
Lightning Drudge 5R

Instant

Lightning Drudge Deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

Delve (You may exile any number of cards from your graveyard as you cast this spell. It costs 1 Mana less to cast for each card exiled this way.)
Destroy target nongreen creature. It can't be regenerated.

Sometimes Necromancers even work with Lavamancers, anything to keep a steady supply of bodies.

I think it is just tragic delve only was on 3 cards ever, that is such an awesome mechanic. I really hope that it comes back soon!

Sorry! Red doesn't get outright creature destruction. There is also no rarity. 14/20

iSperia wrote:
Steamflogger Devastator - 1RR
Creature - Goblin Rigger (uncommon)
T: Assemble a Contraption (To assemble a contraption, you put indestructibe Contraption Artifact Token with shroud onto the battlefield)
Sacrifice two contraptions you control: Destroy target land.
Let reveal what all this Contraptions mean - Chandra, the Pyromaster
2/3

Interesting. In isolation, this might be printable. However, if we have many cards that assembles contraptions, the land D will feel very oppressive (maybe even more so than Bant Hexproof). 15/20

bobbytg wrote:
steamflogger worker RRR

creature - goblin rigger (uncommon)

At the beggining of your upkeep, put a 0/1 artifact creature junk
token into the battlefield.

3, sacrifice 2 junk tokens, T : Assemble a contaption (put a 2/2 contraption artifact creature token or a 1/1 flying contraption artifact creature token into the battlefield).

2/2

I see no difference from regular artifact tokens. 14.5/20

Canabiest wrote:
Runedepth Broadshield
1WW
Creature - Dwarf Warrior
Uncommon

Absorb 2

Runedepth Broadshield can block an additional creature.

2/1

The Inspiration was Lymph Sliver or the Absorb mechanic on it. Which is very strong.
The guy is a very good defensive creature but better against small multiple small guys than just a big one. So that seemed kind of interesting with the mechanic and shows how it is different from a pure toughness boost.

I like this card. 18/20

Stucco wrote:
Caller of Bears.....................1G
Creature - Human Shaman......U

Transfigure 1G

Whenever you transfigure Caller of Bears, put a 2/2 green Bear creature token onto the battlefield.

1/1

I'd like to see Transfigure errata'ed to be activated at instant speed as the game had changed since Time Spiral.

Mainly bcuz of Goyf, this card would be broken in modern. Otherwise, interesting card. 17/20

ShamedShadow wrote:
Flogged Underling 1R

Creature - Goblin Rigger [Uncommon]

Flogged Underling enters the battlefield with two Scrap Metal counters on it.

T: Flogged Underling assembles a Contraption with "X, T: Flip a coin. If heads, this Contraption deals X damage to target creature or player. If tails, sacrifice this Contraption." (To assemble a Contraption, remove two Scrap Metal counters from a permanent you control. Then put a Contraption Artifact token onto the battlefield.)

1/1

------------------

So the idea here is that Contraptions by themselves have no inherent abilities or meanings. Whatever they're assembled by is what gives them abilities.

It also allows individual creatures to give Contraptions unique abilities. For example, a blue/red Rigger might assemble Contraptions that let you discard a card to draw a card.

The other part is that they're Contraptions. They're volatile, unstable, and unreliable. So all Contraptions under my version of the type would have to be sacrificed to be used, or involve flipping a coin to be used. This one involves flipping a coin, obviously.

These contraptions would be hard to keep track of. The style I like best is iSperia's 13/20

DarkofMoon wrote:
Automatic Volcano Stirrer 6

Artifact - Creature - Fortification - Rare

Defender

Fortify 3R

~ may only be Fortified with a Mountain land card. That Mountain gains the effect "This land provides RRR instead of its normal mana. This land is also a 0/5 creature with Defender, in addition to its other types."

"Grogg knew he was out of a job as soon as the giant spoon-like object was attached to the machine."

0/4

I wasn't sure how to word this card correctly, but I did the best job of getting the point across as I could.

A creature can't equip. 13/20

Sorry I'm a little terse, but I'm really busy right now.

Winner: thelemys- Vae Victis
2nd: sc4rs-Gloompack
3rd: Canabeist- Runedepth Broadshield
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG all, I was proud of my card!
Canabiest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a nice and powerful design. I would have liked it better as a sorcery, so that it maybe has a timing cost to get it for free. This way it is just free removal in a black deck.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2