Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Budget Mono-Red

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Bejeezus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Budget Mono-Red Reply with quote

For the player who doesn't have much money to spend to keep up with Standard, this is a deck that is cheap and relatively easy to play. It's not a hyper competitive deck that will win you a PTQ, but rather a fun choice you can take to your local FNM.

CREATURES:
x4 Two-Headed Cerberus
x4 Young Pyromancer
x4 Akroan Crusader
x4 Foundry Street Denizen

OTHER:
x4 Lightning Strike
x4 Magma Jet
x4 Shock
x1 Mizzium Mortars
x4 Madcap Skills
x4 Dragon Mantle
x4 Titan's Strength

LAND:
x1 Rogue's Passage
x18 Mountain

Your sideboard can include whatever you think will help against your particular metagame. I recommend cards like Mindsparker, Act of Treason, and Skullcrack. Pithing Needle and Burning Earth are fine choices as well, but will cost you a few more bucks.

SIDEBOARD:
x3 Mindsparker
x2 Ratchet Bomb
x2 Pithing Needle
x3 Act of Treason
x3 Skullcrack
x2 Seismic Stomp

UPDATE:
-4 Ordeal of Purphoros
Playing with this card seemed like a good idea, but it turned out to be just a little too slow and didn't do quite enough.
-1 Mugging
Playing just 1 in the maindeck doesn't really do a whole lot, ever.

+4 Dragon Mantle
Reasonable power boost while also providing a mana sink and extra card.
+1 Mizzium Mortars
A much better mise card than Mugging in just about every way and can deal with trouble creatures like Loxodom Smiter.

I also reworked the sideboard to include Ratchet Bomb because the deck has a weakness to Fiendslayer Paladin and playing monored doesn't offer very many answers to it, if any. Also, I'm testing out Seismic Stomp to combat board stalls against other aggro decks.

Last edited by Bejeezus on Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:02 am; edited 4 times in total
esperz1nski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I think your creature picks are not so good.
Not enough creatures for a mono red burn deck.

Msg me on mirc and Ill show you how i play my mono red deck and help you pick better and just as cheap cards to replace some of these picks :]
Bejeezus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on trying out Thunderous Might when it is released. It seems like a good addition to the deck, and at the very least merits being tested. I will most likely replace Dragon Mantle with it. I'm not so sure about Fall of the Hammer, but again, it's at least worth a shot. Another card I will look forward to testing out is Searing Blood.

I'm aware there are much better red creatures in the format. I'm just not willing to shell out a load of cash for Firedrinker Satyr, Ash Zealot, and the like. Smile

The swarm strategy tends to work as a back-up means of victory. I most often tend to win on the back of a sneaky Madcap Skills + burn while using tokens to trade or chump where necessary.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1