Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 262

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
aule

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirror Plane | 5
Artifact - Mythic
The "Planeswalker uniqueness rule" doesn't apply.
Jace looked around himself as he entered this strange world, only to find his own magics descending upon him.
coboney

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right judging time. Its been long enough (almost a week) so lets do this.

For the people who missed the mechanic part you will be getting 0/5 on that though I will comment on it otherwise.

Just to copy here is the criteria I am using...
Balance of Card 10 (How balanced is this card for type 2 and limited play? What about older formats if it is pushed? )
Mechanic 5 (How is the mechanic? How is it balanced? Does it promise lots of design room?)
Flavour 5 (Does this feel like something from kamigawa?)

So its all out of 20.

Selkie wrote:
Nine-tails, Kitsune Sensei

WW - Rare

Legendary Cleric- Kitsune Cleric

WW - Target spell you control can't be countered by white spells

1 - Target spell becomes white until end of turn.

2/2

Inner Virtue is a light that can illuminate any soul

First up is Selkie's and the first thing we can see is... its lacking a mechanic! So not much on that part to touch on. Lets take a look at the rest - Flavour is good, Eight and Half Tails has grown half a tail I guess and it feels like Kamigawa in general. The ability is decent enough and a clear riff on the old card but nothing spectacular though very solid.

Balance: 7.5 (Slightly underpowered for white these days but still a 2/2 with a potentially relevant ability isn't going to be forgotten. In older formats it might matter more as it can protect combo pieces.)
Mechanic: 0 (There is no Mechanic here.)
Flavour: 4.5 (It doesn't really advance the flavour in any way but it feels pretty Kamigawa given its a riff on an old card.)
Total: 12/20

iSperia wrote:

Kagutsuchi, Incarnation of Fire - 2RRR
Legendary Creature - Spirit
Incarnation - T: you may search your library for a red card. If you do, exile it and shuffle your library. You may cast this card as long as you control Kagutsuchi.
5/4

Okay lets take a look here. Incarnation, I'm not really sure what it does. It seems to be a keyword ability which aren't proper mechanics and rather a grouping of similar abilities together. Without context its tougher to decipher what it is (and none was provided), I presume that Incarnation provides alternate ways to cast things. Seems very powerful for something you want to bother Keyword Abilitying.

Onto Balance its a 5/4 for 2RRR which is fine - the ability lets you get and cast but takes time and is pretty preventable. No balance issues really.

Flavour is.. okay. I guess the thinking here is that the incarnation of fire keeps spewing out new flames but other then being Legendary, a spirit and a long name not much makes it feel Kamigawa.

Balance: 6 (Its okay on this front but not standing out in either bad or a good way. It merely is.)
Mechanic: 1 (Keyword ability isn't what we were looking for but an attempt was made)
Flavour: 2.5 (Average.)

Total: 9.5/20

Raybelfast wrote:

Kyodai, the Peace Bringer WWW

Legendary Creature - Spirit - Mthyic

Prevent all combat damage to creatures.

2/2

"It came, the end of the war and the start of a new beginning"

Another one lacking a mechanic! So we can dive right into balance... and we're looking at a creature that is somewhat underpar in the stats area but its ability to totally mess up combat is interesting there. The fact that its not just your creatures and its only combat damage makes me lean towards it being somewhat underpowered in constructed and wildly swinging in limited from bomb to useless.

Flavour is solid, a white spirit enforcing peace and maintaining it.

Balance: 5/10 (Passable)
Mechanic: 0/5
Flavour: 4/5 (Very strong Flavour)

total: 9/10

CMA-Troll wrote:

Umezawa's Jitte {2}
|Legendary Artifact — Equipment| - Rare
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage, put a charge counters on Umezawa's Jitte. / Remove a charge counter from Umezawa's Jitte: Choose one — Equipped creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn; or target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn; or you gain 2 life. / Equip 2

Oh god that card.... Its a TRAP!

Flippi 0/10000000

Next!

thelemys wrote:

Kunai Pitcher R
Creature - Human Unco
Kunai 2 (Whenever an opponent targets this creature, its controller may have it deal 2 damage to target player).
“With enough willpower and a Kunai, you could cause mountains to crumble”
1/1

Reversing heroic is a neat idea that makes the little one drop more interesting and provides a protection ability to creatures. While not a mechanic that can serve as a backbone of the set because it relies entirely on your opponent doing stuff it is okay.

The balance on the card is solid - its a 1/1 for R that if it is targeted by your opponent burns them. A bit on the weak side but its a difficult card to push given most 2 power red creatures for R have drawbacks.

Flavour - its missing a creature type (class). Given what Kunai are and the fact its following up on Kamigawa I would have liked to see it being a Ninja which would fit the art work.

Balance: 7/10 (Solid but not spectacular)
Mechanic: 2.5/5 (A second seat mechanic to add flavour.)
Flavour: 2/5 (Missing a creature type to help tie it together and why that quote would go with a ninja is missing).

Total: 11.5/20

Balviaris wrote:

Gojiro, the Vengeful 1WB

Legendary Creature - Samurai Mythic Rare

Harakiri 2 (When this creature is sacrificed, each opponent sacrifices two permanents.)

Deathtouch, Lifelink

2/2

Mechanic is... there. Its a boring and not particularly interesting mechanic to do anything. Feels like its keyworded just to be keywoded in a lot of ways.

Balance... its a 2/2 for 3 with Deathtouch and Lifelink. For a Mythic multicolour rare its weak.

Flavour feels weak - not sure why someone who's vengeful would have lifelink. Where is justice in vengence? It is also missing a race creature type (such as human)

Balance: 5/10 (not bad just on the weak side especially given rarity)
Mechanic: 2/5 (Very boring and stale mechanic that isn't really needing a keyword)
Flavour: 1.5 (Disconnected and missing a creature type)

Total: 8.5/20

Stucco wrote:

Kami of the Blessed Soil........1GG
Creature - Spirit.......................U

When Kami of the Blessed Soil enters the battlefield, you may return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.

Realm-Jump 1G (While this card is in your graveyard, you may pay 1G at any time to put it on top of your library.)

They lie just beneath the inhabitants of Kamigawa's jungles, nurturing and tending its foliage.

2/2

Now this is a mechanic I like, feeling a bit like a fixed dredge style mechanic. It fits the graveyard resurrection feel for the kami that can keep coming back.

Balance its a solid eternal witness riff in some ways trading the ability to get spells for Realm Jump. Right on the nose there.

Flavour feels right - kami are spirits of things around and one of the hidden ground in the jungles is right on.

Mechanic 4/5 (Only potential issue is that its limited in how often it can be applied without draw steps becoming useless)
Balance: 9/10 (Very good balance here - good mana costing, and power)
Flavour: 3.5/5 (Good flavour)

Total: 16.5/20

Canabiest wrote:

Okina Duelist
1G
Human Samurai
Uncommon

Experience (Whenever this creature is dealt damage, put that many level counters on it.)
2/2

Level 2 - 6
XG, T: Okina Duelist fights another target creature with power X or less.
2/4

Level 7+
1G, T: Okina Duelist fights another target creature.
4/4

Experience... well its a clunky mechanic. It requires a creature to be dealt damage multiple times to level up effectively and using the level name without the level up mechanic feels a bit awkward. While the dueling helps this specific creature I don't see it working really on the whole. As an ability on a 1of card ina level up set - sure or as a cycle. As a mechanic of its own not really.

Balance its a bear off the bat and before its able to do anything else it has to survive two combats. At an uncommon cost and the fact its green its a bit on the weak side though I appreciate that in limited if it gets to level 2 it can take over a board.

Flavour is okay - a duelist fits in fine with the samurai tradition and the idea that it would take power (in the form of mana) to compel your samurai to fight other powerful creatures fits in fine. Not great but not bad.

Balance: 6/10 (Passable but not great.)
Mechanic 1.5/5 (Don't think its up to the test.)
Flavour 2.5/5 (Average.)

Total: 10/20

sc4rs wrote:

Amaterayu, Sun Queen
PP
Legendary Creature - Spirit - Mythic Rare
(Amaterayu is all colors)
Whenever another creature untaps, gain 1 life.
3/3
All who awake to her glory praise her.

Oh joy. Alternate mana ... there's no answer here that probably won't cause controversy. I don't like the Pure Mana mechanic and it feels clunky and for it to run in a set at any more then a minimal level would require tremendous amounts of mana fixing in it. Even with it appearing on activated abilities, that will cause a lot of grief because of the fact that its basically giving a subsection of cards all offcolour mana. On the other hand its not terrible - as a casual and lightly sprinkled in mechanic P can work out. I just have my doubts its worth the hassle.

Balance here given its difficulty to cast in recent formats is solid and in Eternal Formats its probably fine. Where it might be a bit of an issue is modern but I doubt it. Balance is probably about where it needs to be.

Flavour is the cards strongest part - the idea of a Sun Kami gaining energy from all the world and untapping representing each day is a very poetic and well done flavour!

Balance: 7/10 (Well done on the whole but could probably be pushed a bit given how difficult PP is most cases. Would depend on how much you print wiht it fixing wise)
Mechanic: 2/5 (A troublesome, errata heavy mechanic that takes explanation for new players and can't be used heavily)
Flavour: 5/5 (This card ran away on the flavour bringing it all together)

Total: 14/20

Bejeezus wrote:

All-Consuming Oni of Chaos | 4BBBB

Legendary Creature - Demon Spirit | Mythic Rare

Blood Tribute X (As an additional cost to cast this
card, pay X life. X cannot be 0.)

Flying; Trample

When All-Consuming Oni of Chaos enters the
battlefield, each player sacrifices X permanents.

6/6

Well now we get the Oni which is a nice thing to see - forgotten too much and right off the bat a blood mechanic makes sense. The fact that Blood Tribute is mandatory is good flavourfully but makes it an awkward mechanic to base on. The other issue here is like Kicker that Blood Tribute applies to such a large group of black cards. "Why isn't that blood tribute" would start all over and it may close off some design space. As a secondary mechanic it might work.

Balance its a 8 mana 6/6 flying, trampler that can effectively wipe the board. It feels mythic, it acts it and the only issue might be how much that Oni want tribute and the fact that to matter late in the game its tribute has to be a heavy toll.

On the other hand that makes it work flavourfully. The idea that a powerful Demon like this requires a sacrifice of potentially large amounts and has potnetially nearly limitless power is good and its size fits that appropriately. Name is a bit overdone (but then we're talking Kamigawa here....)

Balance: 8.5/10 (Well balanced timmy card)
Mechanic: 2.5/5 (I have doubts about how printable due to design space but the mechanic fits Kamigawa well though its not a heavy load bearing one.)
Flavour: 4.5/5 (A knock out of the park - only thing that knocks it down a touch is the name being a bit over)

Total: 15.5/20

Aule wrote:

Mirror Plane | 5
Artifact - Mythic
The "Planeswalker uniqueness rule" doesn't apply.
Jace looked around himself as he entered this strange world, only to find his own magics descending upon him.

No mechanic!!!!

Then off to the balance... Its fine balance wise it just doesn't really do much.

Flavour doesn't really hit here. Why is Jace on Kamigawa? I get that its a riff on the old legendary mirror from Kamigawa but not really feeling a great deal of flavour to hold it together.

Balance: 7.5/10 (ho-hum but it fiits the costing we know for this type of effect).
Mechanic: 0/5 (None.)
Flavour: 1/5 (Nothing in this feels Kamigawa - why isn't this just in a core set? )

Total: 8.5/20

And the winner is Stucco with Beejezus in second place!
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to explain the flavour: a Kunai is a typical Ninja weapon. That's why I chosed it and imo it's flavourfull by itself Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Doi9pVe_A
coboney

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Themlys yes - my issue was that the creature didn't really access that and the fact it isn't a Ninja. Thats what I meant by Kunai being what they are - because they are ninja weapons it should be a ninja (I presume the mechanic would likely being the equiviliant in placement to ninjitsu though in different colours). What is it pitching ? And how does that tie in all together to the story of it ?

Of course its all opinions
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, forgot to add the Ninja type Sad
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2