Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC #258 Judged

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Canabiest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: CAC #258 Judged Reply with quote

Livermush wrote:
Astariol, Black Knight of Knavegarde | 1BB
Legendary Creature - Knight (Rare)

Protection from White and Blue.

Horsemanship

2/3

"Tis but a flesh wound!"

Horsemanship certainly is unlikely to come back and would play different in precons made for it's existence. The guy is a pretty vanilla legend though and a monty python reference is not getting the biggest flavor wins.
Solid overall.
5/10

thelemys wrote:

Quote:
Eat the Weak
Sorcery U
Destroy target creature with converted mana cost 1 or less.
Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.)
One Kithkin a day keeps hunger away.

I remeber that one being posted before or just a parallel design. I could actually see Retrace come back sometimes.
But the card seems fine. It does use the mechanic in a nice way and has a use against tokens as well as weenies. More of a role player than a splashy card. But it could be the constructed shoe-in for a precon.
Nice enough and seemingly balanced.
6/10

ShamedShadow wrote:
Scour the Depths U

Sorcery [Common]

Look at the top card of target player's library. That player draws a card.

Conspire (As you cast this spell, you may tap two untapped creatures you control that share a color with it. When you do, copy it and you may choose a new target for the copy.)

Conspire again isn't splashy. And the ability would always be used on yourself I guess or usually. But for a political multiplayer game you could deal out gifts and see what you are giving. So the look aspect is not too bad, even if it is not intuitive.
Conspire always was more of a limited thing but I can see it do stuff at kitchentables at least. Also drawing two for one mana is nothing to scoff at.
All in all I like it well enough
6/10

[quote="pseudodespot"]Barkhok the Awakener 1GGG

Legendary Creature - Treefolk Shaman (rare)

Kinship -- At the beginning of your upkeep, you may look at the top card of your library. If it shares a creature type with Barkhok the Awakener, you may reveal it. If you do, put a 2/5 green Treefolk Shaman creature token onto the battlefield.

1/6

The forest has eyes, my comrade said. I laughed. What a fool I thought.
Two creature type tokens are a Lorwyn Block thing I guess as is Kinship. Works in a precon deck of course and Treefolk as an odd little tribe can use some support.
Also could work as a Commander. Seems balanced for a defensive game, as they happen in multiplayer.
Fits the challenge.
7/10

sc4rs wrote:
White Lotus
Artifact - Mythic Rare
*UNTAP*, Sacrifice White Lotus: Add three mana of any one color to your mana pool.

This is pretty genius as a reference to a legendary card. It also makes activating way trickier and could lead to some odd creatures seeing play. Mythic seems the right rarity and eternal the right place.
Simple change of the symbol changes the card a lot too and untap on a noncreature without the ability to tap itself also is a clever use of that mechanic.
Something I had not thought about, yet simple.
9/10

aule wrote:
Jace, Phaseshifter Adept | 1UUU
Planeswalker - Jace | M
Phasing (This phases in or out before you untap during each of your untap steps. While it's phased out, it's treated as though it doesn't exist.)
When ~ phases in, put a loyalty counter on it.
-1 Target nonland permanent phases out. It gains Phasing.
-2 Draw 3 cards, then put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library.
-8 Each permanent your opponents control phases out. They gain Phasing. When they would phase in, they phase in under your control instead.
//4

Interesting, phasing certainly ups even the complexity of planeswalkers. But it is an interesting way of gaining loyalty. The abilities are really strong but for being there only every second turn they might be fine. It is even harder to evaluate the power of a planeswalker with this different math.
I like it. I'd say. Not sure about the minus abilities exactly. But passes the challenge certainly.
6/10

iSperia wrote:
Time Door - 1UU
Tribal Sorcery - Wizard
As an additional cost to play Time Door, tap an untapped wizard you control.
Take an extra turn after this one.
Hello, Jack, - I am you from tommorow

Yeah that spell could be something wizards do. Powerful certainly and would see in some eternal games I would say. But the tapping can be a real cost. The wizard opening a door for you is a nice image. The flavortext does not work for me or add much.
Not sure if it is a new enough use for Tribal that really warrants the type.
5.5/10

Stucco wrote:
Compost to Commodity.............GB
Sorcery.....................................R

Return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.

Retrace (You may cast this card from your graveyard by discarding a land card in addition to paying its other costs.)

'Waste not want not' has never been an adage of which I'm particularly fond.

I talked about Retrace earlier. But it still is a fun theme for a precon I'd say and this one would fit the strategy. A bit grindy but that again fits kitchen tables. I like it.
7/10

Mr_Weebles wrote:
Stromkirk Strongarm - 3BR (Rare)
Creature - Vampire Rogue

Flying

Whenever Stromkirk Strongarm deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

Prowl 1BR (You may cast this for its prowl cost if you dealt combat damage to a player this turn with a Vampire or Rogue.)

4/4

"This day couldn't get any worse..."

Prowl in a different environment and with vampires a new tribe. The guy really rewards you for getting damahge in early. Hugely undercosted then and otherwise fair for the kitchentable. Can carry a whole game in multiplayer too, if people let it happen.
The flavor text would be even better with "This night" instead of "day" because it is a Vampire.
6/10

Raybelfast wrote:
Faerie Tinkersmith 3UB

Creature - Faerie -- Uncommon

When Faerie Tinkersmith enters the battlefield you may sacrifice an artifact you control, If you do you may search your library for an artifact with the same converted mana cost as that card and put it onto the battlefield.

Prowl 1UB

Flying

1/1

Interesting card that scales on two levels. I like the name as well. It seems to be a fair tutor but one you might like to have in a deck with Faeries and artifacts. I might have given him a second creature type though, maybe Artificer. But Prowl outside Rogues seems to work for a Faerie Tinkersmith, sneaking in and doing stuff.
6.5/10

shadowist wrote:
Rawyen's Strike 3UB
Tribal Instant - Rogue (U)

Prowl 1UB

Destroy target creature. If it's prowl cost was paid, return Rawyen's Strike to it's owner's hand.

"We'll come back when the Sin is dead" -Gorev Hadszak, Wojek investigator.

Note: Rawyen is a famed assassin of House Dimir. The artwork portrays Rawyen swooping down on an unsuspecting Boros guard. Rawyen is decorated with various blades and the design somewhat resembles a spider. He is known as the Sin, Spider-bite of death.

Prowling again. Flavor explanation is nice and it could be in a deck where Rawyen also is featured. The spell can be backbreaking if you keep prowling with an unblockable guy. But sometimes you might have to throw it away to get the attacker in. Still could lead to unfun situations.
Solid overall. Not too special. Flavor works for an assassin.
5.5/10

So the winner is White Lotus designed by sc4rs.
It was a good round overall. No really bad designs, just some that didn't impress me as much.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG all, go next!
Livermush

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's a critic (especially the person judging)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1