Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using phases and such

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Scuta04

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Using phases and such Reply with quote

I can't believe its not part of the rules that players need to use phases and change the turn. It is a shit show when someone wants to not and reminds me of appr. Don't be lazy and use your phases ppl jesus christ.
Selkie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be lazy and use abbreviations. It's just as annoying.
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DCI does not require players to announce every step in the turn; neither do we. Players can use as many or as few as they wish, so long as the game state remains clear and unambiguous.

During most games, using Upkeep, Main Phase 1, Declare Attackers, and Main Phase 2 would be sufficient, depending on the complexity of the board. I know that players using less phases frustrates some players, but for Magic-League to require players to use them there would have to be a compelling game-related case for doing so.
voltageaav

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always cracks me up when people get all bent out of shape about using phases. As long as you use the relevant ones, it doesn't matter at all to the game. If you want to do something during the upkeep or whatever, just say so.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a representative of the league, I will simply agree with Weedmonkey, who is absolutely correct about forcing people to use them.

As a player, it drives me crazy. OK, so your opp untaps his permanents, and then in his upkeep he draws a card and taps 3 creatures without saying anything. Wait, what? Then he sits there, and sits there, waiting for you to ask him what he is doing - and acts all innocent like you should have known he was attacking.
The point of using phases is for communication. You know what you are doing, but if it doesn't make sense in context, your opponent will not. Imagine how you would do the previous thing in real life. The biggest difference would be that yo would say something when you tap your creatures. "I'll swing" or "Is it OK to attack" or something similar that says what you are doing when you tap those creatures. Otherwise, maybe you are casting Shared Discovery, or just twiddling your permanents while you think.
The league absolutely cannot force people to use phases, but it's rude not to use them and in a league like this, dealing with it should NOT even be an issue. If you can't manage to communicate what you are doing at any given time, maybe MWSPlay.net is a better solution for you.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1