Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

URW Runeflare

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
littleletler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: URW Runeflare Reply with quote

So I've had some limited testing and I've come to this. I'll just post the list first.

Lightning Bolt x3
Supreme Verdict x1
Silence x2
Vapor Snag x3
Forked Bolt x2
Remand x4
Faithless Looting x3
Howling Mine x4
Gitaxian Probe x4
Runeflare Trap
Font of Mythos x1
Kami of the Crescent Moon x2
Snapcaster Mage x4
and some sub-optimal manabase i'm sure that includes 1x Reliquary Tower. Other than that it's just fetches, duals, and a few basics.

SB:
Not totally sold on it yet. But....
Leyline of Punishment
Hurkyl's Recall
Lightning Helix
More Verdicts
Pyroclasms

So I like how it plays out against control. I've only had the (dis)pleasure of facing a Mono R Burn deck once and I clearly see the problem. I beat 5 different control decks though, although I'd only say 3 of them were very competitive. I think lightning helix will help alot and maybe should be MB'd. I honestly can't tell you why I haven't included Path to Exile. It may be a necessity. I just hate the ramp factor.

One SB option I briefly thought of was a delver + geist package and just being a URW flash deck but I don't know if that really helps our aggressive matchups much. I realize I haven't included any PW's and maybe some would be a good fit.

Edit: Another thought is some kind of fog package through white?

So before you write this off, you might want to consider it. With a better tuned SB and some tweaking to the main, I bet this is at least "competitive" with a competent pilot. I don't consider myself a wizard but I've played for many years. I feel like it's got a decent shell.

So.....comments? or tell me how to copy+paste the deck from MWS so it's easily viewable?

Last edited by littleletler on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
BIRDYYY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: URW Runeflare Reply with quote

littleletler wrote:
So I've had some limited testing and I've come to this. I'll just post the list first.

Lightning Bolt x3
Supreme Verdict x1
Silence x2
Vapor Snag x3
Forked Bolt x2
Remand x4
Faithless Looting x3
Howling Mine x4
Gitaxian Probe x4
Runeflare Trap
Font of Mythos x1
Kami of the Crescent Moon x2
Snapcaster Mage x4
and some sub-optimal manabase i'm sure that includes 1x Reliquary Tower. Other than that it's just fetches, duals, and a few basics.

SB:
Not totally sold on it yet. But....
Leyline of Punishment
Hurkyl's Recall
Lightning Helix
More Verdicts
Pyroclasms

So I like how it plays out against control. I've only had the (dis)pleasure of facing a Mono R Burn deck once and I clearly see the problem. I beat 5 different control decks though, although I'd only say 3 of them were very competitive. I think lightning helix will help alot and maybe should be MB'd. I honestly can't tell you why I haven't included Path to Exile. It may be a necessity. I just hate the ramp factor.

One SB option I briefly thought of was a delver + geist package and just being a URW flash deck but I don't know if that really helps our aggressive matchups much. I realize I haven't included any PW's and maybe some would be a good fit.

So before you write this off, you might want to consider it. With a better tuned SB and some tweaking to the main, I bet this is at least "competitive" with a competent pilot. I don't consider myself a wizard but I've played for many years. I feel like it's got a decent shell.

So.....comments? or tell me how to copy+paste the deck from MWS so it's easily viewable?

<3 the idea dont got time to help u sry=/
littleletler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more cards that might be worth considering are
Izzet Charm
Electrolyze
Judge's Familiar
Path to Exile
Azorious Charm
Quicken
Spell Snare
Dispel
Mana Leak
Call to Heel
Steel Sabotage

I already like the idea of Izzet Charm instead of Faithless Looting. The versatility of the charm is really important.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give us some more info on your choices and what you are looking to do in the format and maybe it will spawn more responses. Smile
littleletler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck originally started as a Mono Red all-in combo deck that looked to twincast (reverberate) Runeflare on turn 3 or 4 for lethal. It was incredibly inconsistent and it has evolved from there. It plays more like a counterburn deck that has this soft combo. You prefer to put cards back in their hands as opposed to the graveyard since you want your runeflares as potent as possible. The value of runeflare at trap cost is usually incredible. It's not all that hard to get either, 1 howling mine effect and 1 draw spell from them and it's live. I have cast more than enough EOT runeflares for 5-7 damage. It's the aggro decks that are a problem. They are great at barfing their hand all over the table and it's a problem. Then all your cards are spent stopping them while their life stays the same and you slowly dwindle down. The howling mine effects benefit them more than they do you. That's why I would consider a transformational sb to just side out of extra draw. The other option is to re-evaluate alot of the maindeck for value cards that tend to 2 for 1 or better. That is where I'm at with this right now. It has a good control matchup at the moment.

These are my thoughts for now.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the jund match up like, seems a little to me like it depends on if they are running abupt decay or not on how good it is. I played a deck like this ages back, not because I thought it was good just because I like blue red decks. It had some reasonable match ups like control, aggro was absolutely hopeless but I do not think that is an issue in modern. The only aggro deck you will run into is affinity.

I think if you can get game vs control and combo you've got a legit deck aggro is just a lost cause with this deck.

Another thing sideboards are a huge issue with this deck as if things are going right, you will both have drew many cards. Which will see you losing to sideboard cards a lot. I.e slaughter games, exiperate etc. This is why I gave up on the deck in the end, many game 1 wins only to then hopelessly lose to sideboard cards game 2 and 3.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1