Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Control Revisited

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: American Control Revisited Reply with quote

I've been searching for deck lists for American Control, and it seems like the demand to play it has petered out. I can't find a single top 8, or a single cohesive deck list anywhere, so I've decided to make my own.

We'll go by sections. First up, creatures.

//Creatures
2 [GTC] Aurelia, the Warleader
4 [M13] Augur of Bolas

Just six creatures? That's right. This deck only needs one creature to win, and there are definitely other win conditions in this deck.

Aurelia, the Warleader: Aurelia is awesome, plain and simple. The way this deck plays, we are going to get to turn 6. Granted, she doesn't always want to come out and play on turn 6. This is a strategic deck, so you have to play her strategically. There are only two of her, remember!

Augur of Bolas: This guy is the nuts in this deck. You are almost always going to hit an instant or sorcery of some kind. Out of all the times I've played this deck, I've only whiffed once or twice. He drops on turn 2 and sits there, blocking all sorts of Boros or Zombie nastiness. He, believe it or not, is one of the main reasons why this deck gets to the late game.

//Spells
4 [RTR] Azorius Charm
3 [RTR] Mizzium Mortars
2 [RTR] Detention Sphere
3 [RTR] Supreme Verdict
2 [RTR] Izzet Charm
4 [RTR] Sphinx's Revelation
2 [GTC] Assemble the Legion
3 [ISD] Dissipate
2 [DGM] Warleader's Helix
1 [RTR] Cyclonic Rift

The spells are where this deck really begins to shine. Your spells contain both your win conditions and the cards that make this deck a control deck. American Control is all about removal, and that's exactly what this list is geared towards.

Azorius Charm: This is Azorius Charm. It is awesome. Don't believe me? Get out.

Mizzium Mortars: This card is both our early game removal and our late game sweeper. It is, simply put, too good to ignore. It kills just about every relevant threat (With very few exceptions. We're looking at you, Boros Reckoner.) and is able to handle loads of dudes at once.

Detention Sphere: Detention Sphere is good, don't get me wrong. I think the lists I've seen playing 3 and 4 are too many though. This card is designed to be a sweeper, and is mainly good in those situations. You very rarely want to play Detention Sphere on one thing. Which is fine.

Supreme Verdict: The uncounterable part of this card is just icing on the cake. This card took Day of Judgment's place, and that's fine. It does what it needs to do, and it does it really well.

Izzet Charm: People don't believe me when I say that Izzet Charm has won me games. It's only a two of because it's not something you want to have all the time, and with the amount of cards we're drawing in this deck, it almost doesn't even matter how many we play. You almost never want to use this card to draw cards. It is primarily anti-planeswalker and anti-control. It can be used for early game removal, which is also a huge bonus.

Sphinx's Revelation: There's a reason this card is one of the few 4-ofs in this deck. It's amazing, hands down. You usually want to try to wait and play this when you can X=3 or more, but otherwise it's going to do a lot for you, especially when it comes to getting back into the race.

Assemble the Legion: This card right here is our win condition. We need to run our opponent out of answers until this can drop safely and stick. It must stick. It must. If it does not, you lose.

Dissipate: Dissipate in this deck rounds out our counterspell suite. Izzet Charm is nice, but sometime you just absolutely have to counter whatever it is that they're playing. That's where Dissipate comes in.

Warleader's Helix: This card surprised me the first time I played it. I knew it was good, but it caught me off guard as soon as I played it and it put me back into the game. It's a two of, just in case.

Cyclonic Rift: This deck needs a card like this. It's only a one-of, but every time I've played it, it's been overloaded and it has seriously set my opponent way back, allowing me to win.

//Planeswalkers
3 [RTR] Jace, Architect of Thought
2 [DGM] Ral Zarek

This iteration of the deck is designed to rotate. Don't get me wrong, Tamiyo is awesome, but we're looking to play this deck well into Theros and beyond. You'll notice the only cards that are from Innistrad and M13 are the lands, Dissipate, and Augur of Bolas, all of which are going to be easily replaced.

Jace, Architect of Thought: This guy might as well read "2UU: Draw four cards". He's incredible. He slows down aggro decks and he digs for our win conditions. Don't even bother trying to get this guy's ultimate. It isn't worth it.

Ral Zarek: Ral Zarek is one of those cards that can either win the game for you or just flat out lose it. His +1 is nice, but he's mainly designed to deal with aggressive decks that have a lot of weenies. We want to be dealing 3 damage with him, and it almost doesn't even matter what we're dealing damage to.

//Lands
4 [RTR] Hallowed Fountain
4 [M13] Glacial Fortress
3 [GTC] Sacred Foundry
4 [RTR] Steam Vents
2 [Any] Plains
3 [Any] Island
1 [ISD] Clifftop Retreat
2 [Any] Mountain

This manabase is based of the actual deck I have in real life. The Glacial Fortresses I had leftover from my Bant Enchantments deck, so I just hung on to them. The Clifftop Retreat I was unable to trade/move in any meaningful way, so it went into this deck. This deck, as I've already said, is designed to rotate. As soon as it does, you can best believe I'm going to be putting the Scrylands into this deck.

//Sideboard
2 [GTC] Aetherize
2 [DGM] Renounce the Guilds
2 [GTC] Blind Obedience
3 [M14] Ratchet Bomb
1 [RTR] Detention Sphere
1 [RTR] Supreme Verdict
2 [RTR] Izzet Charm
2 [DGM] Aetherling

I'm not going to go over the sideboard individually, most of these cards should be pretty self explanatory. The idea of our sideboard is to round out the deck against bad matchups, namely aggro and tokens. Aetherling deserves a special mention though, he is designed to be an alternative win condition against opposing control decks. There's really no way to deal with the guy. He just wins.

The Whole List

//Creatures
2 [GTC] Aurelia, the Warleader
4 [M13] Augur of Bolas

//Spells
4 [RTR] Azorius Charm
3 [RTR] Mizzium Mortars
2 [RTR] Detention Sphere
3 [RTR] Supreme Verdict
2 [RTR] Izzet Charm
4 [RTR] Sphinx's Revelation
2 [GTC] Assemble the Legion
3 [ISD] Dissipate
1 [RTR] Cyclonic Rift

//Planeswalkers
2 [DGM] Ral Zarek

//Lands
4 [M13] Glacial Fortress
3 [GTC] Sacred Foundry
4 [RTR] Steam Vents
2 [Any] Plains
3 [Any] Island
1 [ISD] Clifftop Retreat
2 [Any] Mountain

//Sideboard
2 [GTC] Aetherize
2 [DGM] Renounce the Guilds
2 [GTC] Blind Obedience
3 [M14] Ratchet Bomb
1 [RTR] Detention Sphere
1 [RTR] Supreme Verdict
2 [RTR] Izzet Charm
2 [DGM] Aetherling

Impact of Theros:

Theros is going to change this deck some, but not by a lot. Almost all of the good cards we're playing are going to stay the same. However, the following changes should occur (assuming the rest of the spoilers don't just completely blow these away):

//-4 Augur of Bolas; +4 Omenspeaker

Omenspeaker is not quite as good as Augur of Bolas, but she does serve roughly the same purpose.

//-3 Dissipate; +3 Cancel

Again, Cancel is not as good as Dissipate. However, we don't have any counterspells that are playable in Theros yet.

//-2 Ral Zarek; +2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

This should be self-explanatory. In a straight up contest, Elspeth is better than Ral Zarek.

//-2 Plains, -1 Mountain, -1 Clifftop Retreat: +4 Temple of Triumph

This is self-explanatory. We want scry lands in this deck.

//-4 Glacial Fortress; +2 Plains, +2 Island

Losing Glacial Fortress in this deck hurts a lot. I think it's going to be okay, at least until we get the rest of the scry lands.

Honorable Mentions: Theros Edition

//Medomai the Ageless

Any card that lets us take extra turns is good. I don't know where he'll fit in, or whether he'll even be that good, but for now he deserves an honorable mention.

//Daxos of Meletis

This guys seems like he has potential to be good. I think he's going to be more relevant in a midrange sort of deck though.

//Steam Augury

Last I checked, Fact or Fiction was a good card. I have a feeling this guy might go in instead of Warleader's Helix, but I'm going to have to play with it to be sure.

//Chained to the Rocks

I'm gonna be honest here, I might play this guy instead of Detention Sphere. It's cheap, we can play it on turn 1 with Sacred Foundry, and it kills guys. This card is gonna be good, I'm just not sure in what quantity.

//Purphuros, God of the Forge

This guy is probably the only god we want to even consider for this deck. Reason being, of course, Assemble the Legion. 1 dude, 2 damage. 2 dudes, 4 damage. 3 dudes, 6 damage, and so on. This is another card that I know is going to be good, again, just not in what quantity or who he would replace. Possibly Aurelia, but I'm not sure.

Questions? Comments?

Let me know what you think. Tell me if I'm wrong. I'm especially curious to see what y'all think of the Theros cards they've spoiled that could potentially go into the deck.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to many 4 drops your deck is going to clunk to often as is. You really do not want more than 6-7 max in a deck. You have more than enough 2 drops. However your a bit short in the 3 mana slot, its an awkward slot at the moment you could always add ones like pillar, or more twos. As your deck seems well positioned for the long game as it is.

Also I do not know what lands are available in theros, but they appear to be pushing mono colour to me see devotion the reprint of muta vault, no dual in m14. If there are no two colour duals in theros the only way you will be able to play 3 colour control is by playing guildgates, as one set of duals does not cut it in a 3 colour deck.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissolve >>> cancel.
elspeth could take assemble the legions slot, so you have a free slot to whatever you want (purphuros?), or not be there at all. what she does there are other cards that do better (except creating tokens: turns 1,2,3,4 control the board, t5 purphuros, t6 elspeth, 6 damage, 3 tokens and attack with purphuros?))
curse of the swine is worth taking a look, as well as magma jet, though not sure they fit.

this expansion i think is looking to revive rock decks: thoughtseize, read the bones, sylvan cariatid, reaper of the wilds, along with existing cards. what do you guys think?
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time of writing, Dissolve was not spoiled, but you are absolutely correct. Dissolve will take Dissipate's spot.

I think Assemble is too good as a persistent threat. It doesn't need other cards to win, whereas Purphoros is only good with Elspeth or Assemble in play.

I took out the Warleader's Helix for Turn//Burn. I like that it kills things like Boros Reckoner and Fiendslayer Paladin. I also am planning to move Izzet Charm and the one of Cyclonic Rift to the sideboard for Boros Reckoner in the main board.
shadowist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShamedShadow wrote:
At the time of writing, Dissolve was not spoiled, but you are absolutely correct. Dissolve will take Dissipate's spot.

I think Assemble is too good as a persistent threat. It doesn't need other cards to win, whereas Purphoros is only good with Elspeth or Assemble in play.

I took out the Warleader's Helix for Turn//Burn. I like that it kills things like Boros Reckoner and Fiendslayer Paladin. I also am planning to move Izzet Charm and the one of Cyclonic Rift to the sideboard for Boros Reckoner in the main board.

You need something else to kill fiendslayer with turn // burn.
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowist wrote:
ShamedShadow wrote:

You need something else to kill fiendslayer with turn // burn.

I'm not sure how. Turn makes it a 0/1 with no abilities. That includes its protection clause. Burn then kills the 0/1.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShamedShadow wrote:

sure, but elspeth is also a recurring winning condition and more versatile than assemble, and is redundant with assemble. if you don't like purphoros (i don't in this deck) then look for something else, something that can kill the paladin and the reckoner, something like extra detention sphere (it fits reckoner and paladin's curve) or the war helix you removed itself which is effective against reckoner although not against the paladin. even ral zarek kills the paladin if you're too concerned about him, and also shuts down the reckoner (you just need to counter any earthquake effect).
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've settled on this list after seeing the results of the most recent Standard Master.

//Creatures
2 [DGM] Aetherling
3 [M13] Omenspeaker

//Spells
4 [RTR] Azorius Charm
4 [THS] Magma Jet
2 [THS] Lightning Strike
2 [RTR] Detention Sphere
3 [RTR] Supreme Verdict
3 [RTR] Sphinx's Revelation
1 [GTC] Assemble the Legion
2 [ISD] Syncopate
1 [RTR] Counterflux

//Planeswalkers
2 [THS] Elspeth, Sun's Champion

//Lands
4 [RTR] Steam Vents
4 [GTC] Sacred Foundry
4 [THS] Temple of Triumph
4 [Any] Island
2 [Any] Plains
2 [Any] Mountain

//Sideboard
1 [RTR] Mizzium Mortars
2 [GTC] Blind Obedience
2 [M14] Ratchet Bomb
1 [RTR] Detention Sphere
1 [RTR] Supreme Verdict
2 [RTR] Izzet Charm
1 [RTR] Cyclonic Rift
1 [GTC] Assemble the Legion
1 [RTR] Counterflux
2 [M14] Fiendslayer Paladin

I will also be playtesting this deck this Friday at FNM and we'll see what happens.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1