Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 231 -- Non-blue counters (JUDGED)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Devkarven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deathgrip - BB

Enchantment

BB:Destroy a green spell as it is being cast. This action may be played as an interrupt, and does not affect green cards already in play.

Oracle Text- BB: Counter target green spell.

This card makes sense as a color hate card against green, cause its in black and death trumps life.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soul Triangle
3BBB
Instant - Rare
Counter target creature spell.
Destroy target creature.
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
"The universe only cares that one soul goes with one body. It doesn't care which." - Lim-Dul, Necromancer
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pharao's Edict - B
Instant (Uncommon)
Counter target human spell. Its controller can't cast creatures this turn.

Last edited by derflippi on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Godica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacobMatthew wrote:
Planar Fog - Rare
G
Counter target activated ability of a Planeswalker an opponent controls. That player may not activate abilities from that Planeswalker during his or her next turn.
"Sometimes the Plane would be covered with a fog so thick you couldn't smell Urza's ego anymore." - Mishra

I like the idea, but I think the card is too narrow to be printed or played much.

pseudodespot wrote:
Absolution W

Instant (uncommon)

Counter target black spell.

Atone!

Nothing wrong with good old-fashioned color hating, but seems a bit strong when compared to cards like Guttural Response, Gainsay and Flashfreeze. Flavor is a bit off too -- absolution is about forgiving sins, not preventing them in the first place.

Domine wrote:
Tax Evasion - WW

Instant - Uncommon

Counter target activated or triggered ability from a creature unless it's controler pays 3, if an ability is countered this way, exile the source of that ability.

I love the flavor, but when I imagine playing this it just feels like a very awkward removal spell.

MTGmanLA wrote:
Let it Burn

Instant - (Uncommon)

RR1

Counter Target Blue or White Spell unless its controller has Let it Burn deal 4 damage to him or her.

"It lights up the sky, let it continue so the dying have something to remember." - Chandra

I want to like this card, because it's exactly how red would counter things, but it's just too weak. 4 damage for 3 mana is not good enough for a sideboard card. This would be a top contender if it either did 5 damage or weren't color-specific.

EJLV wrote:
Meaningless Boast - WW

Rare

As an aditional cost to cast ~, sacrifice a creature.
Exile target spell. You skip your next untap step.

"Behold! The power of MY god!" - Hudas, the false prophet.

This seems too weak to be played. Maybe for 1 or even 0 mana the cost would be worth it. It also feels more black than white to me.

iSperia wrote:
Strike Offset - 1WW
Instant (Rare)
Counter target spell that targets you and/or a creature you control. Draw a card.
"And hands of enemies will shake!" - Gavony prophecy

This is almost just Hindering Light. That said, specifying creature rather than permanent makes it more white, perhaps justifying being a white card instead of WU.

Strid3r wrote:
Demon's Will - 1B

Instant - Rare

Counter target spell unless its controller sacrifices two creatures.

LOVE the flavor. Maybe a bit too strong for the cost though, since in most situations it's either a hard counter of the best 2-mana removal spell ever. I think increasing the cost just a bit to give decks another turn or two to develop their board before forcing this choice on them would be better.

kumagmd wrote:
Vastwood Oaks
Land (Rare)
Any time you control one or less forests, sacrifice Vastwood Oaks.
T: Add G to your mana pool.
T, G, sacrifice a forest you control: Exile target spell targeting a spell or permanent you control.

I'm conflicted here. The flavor is great, this seems like a very green way to counter spells. But I don't think a recurring counter effect is appropriate to be printed on a land, especially one this strong. At least make the mana ability produce colorless, so I can pretend it's a fair card.

Livermush wrote:
Artificer's Cantrip | 1
Artifact (Uncommon)

Spend only colored mana to play Artificer's Cantrip.

2, tap: Sacrifice Artificer's Cantrip, counter target spell targeting an artifact spell or permanent you control.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
- Arthur C. Clarke

The flavor is decent, and I think it's printable and playable (IIRC there's a vintage deck that might like it, but I'm really not sure). It's a bit boring, but I wasn't asking for flashiness.

Bairdsy wrote:
Lignification
3GG - Rare
Enchantment
Whenever a player plays a creature spell, counter that spell. Its controller puts X 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens onto the battlefield under their control, where X is the spellís converted mana cost.

This is spot-on. Dovescape in green just feels so right.

Mrrr wrote:
Double or Quits - R

Instant (rare)

Flip a coin: if you win the flip, counter target instant or sorcery spell that targets you or a permanent you control. If you lose the flip: copy the spell, its controller may choose new targets for the copy.

I love the flavor, but I don't think it's very playable. Most coin flip effects don't punish bad luck quite as harshly as this one, and it's restrictive enough that it seems like a sideboard card -- at which point I'd want something more reliable.

Mr_Weebles wrote:
Alpha's Decision - GG
Instant (Rare)

Play this spell only if you control the creature with the highest total power and toughness.

"You are not welcome here.."

The flavor makes sense, but such a creature-centric card feels a bit off as a counterspell.

thelemys wrote:

Great flavor, but I don't think a 0-mana counter to wrath effects is printable by today's standards.

ShamedShadow wrote:
Display of Blood 1B

Instant [Uncommon]

As an additional cost to cast Display of Blood, pay X life.

Counter target spell unless that spell's controller pays X life.

If it doesn't hurt, it's not worth the effort.

Another black one with great flavor. I love the depth of mindgaming that could go into choosing X, and whether it counters the spell or not it does something very black. It feels a bit weak when compared to Dash Hopes, though.

huntergatsby wrote:
Desecrate BW

Instant (R)

As an additional cost to play ~ sacrifice a creature

Counter target spell unless it's controller pays X, where X equals the converted mana cost of sacrificed creature.

Great flavor, it's a card that feels right at home in Orzhov. I'm a bit sad though that I wouldn't be able to use a Lingering Souls token -- that might be a bit too powerful, but for a two-color soft counter I think that would be okay.

Devkarven wrote:
Deathgrip - BB

Enchantment

BB:Destroy a green spell as it is being cast. This action may be played as an interrupt, and does not affect green cards already in play.

Oracle Text- BB: Counter target green spell.

This card already exists.

sc4rs wrote:
Soul Triangle
3BBB
Instant - Rare
Destroy target creature.
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield.
"The universe only cares that one soul goes with one body. It doesn't care which." - Lim-Dul, Necromancer

Betrayal of Flesh makes sense, but this just feels awkward. If I have an effect like that in my hand I don't want to have to wait for a spell to counter with it.

Stucco wrote:
Negation Helix..........2
Artifact....................U

2, T: Counter target spell or ability that targets a permanent you control. Draw a card.

In a land full of mages, it stands as a beacon of protection and hope.

I like the flavor, but it seems too strong. An effect like this works on Kira because lots of spells and abilities can destroy small creatures, but this card says "have abrupt decay or I win."

CMA-Flippi wrote:
Pharao's Edict - B
Instant (Uncommon)
Counter target human spell. Its controller can't cast creatures this turn.

I pay very little attention to Standard but I'm guessing this would be a pretty solid sideboard card? The flavor is fine and I like it, but it's a bit awkward that it can punish someone for playing their creatures in the wrong order when it otherwise wouldn't matter.

Dr_Moo wrote:
Nature's Cleansing - GGGG (Mythic Rare)
Instant

Counter all non-green spells on the stack. For each spell countered this way, you gain 2 life, then search your library for a basic Forest card and put it onto the battlefield tapped.

Mother Earth gives freely of herself, knowing that her children must inevitably return to her.

It makes sense for green to tie these effects together, but the overall result falls flat. I don't want my mana acceleration to depend on my opponent, and it's unlikely this will ever get more than one spell (leaving GGGG open is a pretty big tell).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This was a tough challenge, and the submissions were all over the board. The three that impressed me the most were Huntergatsby's "Desecrate", ShamedShadow's "Display of Blood", and Bairdsy's "Lignification."

Bairdsy is the winner, ShamedShadow runner up.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dovescape 2.0 wins. Interesting.......
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Godica wrote:
thelemys wrote:

Great flavor, but I don't think a 0-mana counter to wrath effects is printable by today's standards.
You never know, they have done a 3/2 flying for U after all Wink

GG and go next!
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Bairdsy doesn't object, I'd like to run the next one.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
faster = better
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2