Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rbw Sligh

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
BusDriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Rbw Sligh Reply with quote

I wanted to build an ultrafast t2 sligh deck that uses some of the synergies between the available cards in the format. So here's the list:

// Lands
4 [GTC] Sacred Foundry
2 [ARE] Mountain (7)
4 [DGM] Blood Crypt
4 [M11] Dragonskull Summit
4 [ISD] Clifftop Retreat
4 [GP] Godless Shrine

// Creatures
3 [M14] Chandra's Phoenix
4 [M14] Young Pyromancer
4 [ISD] Stromkirk Noble
4 [DKA] Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 [DGM] Spike Jester
4 [RTR] Rakdos Cackler

// Spells
3 [AVR] Pillar of Flame
3 [GTC] Boros Charm
2 [ISD] Brimstone Volley
4 [M13] Searing Spear
3 [DGM] Legion's Initiative

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [GTC] Boros Reckoner
SB: 3 [M10] Appetite for Brains
SB: 1 [AVR] Pillar of Flame
SB: 1 [GTC] Boros Charm
SB: 3 [RTR] Rest in Peace
SB: 3 [GTC] Skullcrack

So the idea is quite simple, play fast creatures early, burn opposing blockers if need be. As they get outclassed, point burn at the player. The deck additionally uses the synergies between different cards:
Chandra's phoenix - burn - Young Pyromancer - falkenrath aristrocrat - legion's initiative
It's also quite resilient to mass removal thanks to aristocrat, initiative and boros charm.
The speed, burn and resilience to mass removal make the deck a nightmare for control decks. Midrange green based decks and other slower builds can be raced or evaded and then burned. They tend to bleed throughout the game.
The weakness of the deck are other aggro decks. Their removal is cheap and effective vs almost all your creatures and your manabase is a handicap. Spike jesters, rakdos cackler, brimstone volley and boros charms don't do well in many situations in these matchups.
Why I chose the cards:

// Creatures
4 [ISD] Stromkirk Noble & 4 [RTR] Rakdos Cackler
Classic red one drops, especially the noble is great to burn a path for, and that's what this deck is good at.

4 [M14] Young Pyromancer
Quite effective with all the burn spells and the tokens are good with falkenrat aristocrat and legion's initiative even though they die when blinked.

4 [DGM] Spike Jester
3power haste for 2 cc. One of the fastest creatures ever printed. It dies to everything, but it dashes out plenty as well. Also great to burn a path for.

3 [M14] Chandra's Phoenix
It has evasion, haste and comes back but 2 power for 3cc is not really impressive. It tends to give the deck some more reach though and it's a lot more impressive with an initiative out. Reckoner should take this spot if u encounter a lot of aggro.

4 [DKA] Falkenrath Aristocrat
The reason to play black. Seriously this card is fast, powerfull, evasive and resilient. Good with all the small creatures and pyromancer.

3 [AVR] Pillar of Flame
Helps your stromkirks and jesters get through and it deals with pesky things like strangelroot geist and voice of resurgence.

3 [GTC] Boros Charm
Counters verdicts and can serve as a massive 4 point burn spell for only 2 mana. It's awesome vs control decks but weaker vs aggro.

2 [ISD] Brimstone Volley
With so many little guys there's plenty of dieing and this thing has reach! It can be situational though. This is good against control, worse against fast aggro. 3cc is a lot to take out a rakdos cackler...

4 [M13] Searing Spear
Burns paths and aims at players&plainswalkers.

3 [DGM] Legion's Initiative
It boosts and protects your creatures. It makes all your little threats a bit better and works awesome with the pyromancer.
One of the strongest plays this deck has against control is to pass the turn with an initiative out/boros charm in hand and 2 mana open. If he has mass removal you use the initiative/boros charm otherwise you point burn at his head at the end of his turn. Either way, you swing in for the win on your next turn.

Any suggestions, ideas, criticism? Especially the sb could use improvement
mister_milk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important part of a true sligh deck, and I'm speaking of the original Sligh deck, is that on absolutely every turn of the game, you spend all of your mana. That was the point of the original sligh. If I remember correctly, a sligh decks wants 12-14 one-drops, 10-12 2-drops, 8 3-drops, 1-2 4-drops, and 1-2 X-damage burn spells. You want 21-22 lands.

Small aside: the only X-drop I'd want to play in a deck like this is Rakdos's Return, but costing X+2 is a big strike against it.

We don't exactly have that here, but it's close. We have 11 1-drops (and I'm nitpicking here, but I wouldn't cound playing Pillar of Flame on turn 1 as a good play most of the time), 14 2-drops, 5 3-dops, and 4 2-drops. We want to cut a couple of higher-drops, as good as they are, and play some slightly worse 1-, 2-, and 3- mana cards instead. The idea is that they`ll be good enough anyways as long as they come down early enough. Tempo and `getting ahead` are the name of the game here.

For one-drops, I personally like Legion Loyalist a lot more than most people, because its good in the midgame (turns 3-6) as a combat trick. If that isn't your style, don't play it. Another 1-drop that seems good in this deck is Stonewright, which fills the use-all-our-mana plan well as well as the X-drop plan. Lastly, it's cute late-game to pair Stonwright with Young Pyromancer tokens.

I'd cut two of your worst 2-drops and two falkenrath aristocrats for your choice of 1-drop. Yes, Aristocrat is amazing, I agree. But it isn't a great card to stare at multiples of with 2 lands in an opening hand. If it costs 1 or 2, we can maybe play that *and* play something else in the same turn. I`d then consider cutting another 2-drop (so cutting 3 2-drops in total) and a land to play another 3-drop.

Between Young Pyromancer, Chandra`s Phoenix, and Stonewright if you choose to play it, this deck can definately grind and always has things to do with its mana, even past the typical `sweet turns` for a red deck (turns 2-4). This is definately a good thing.

For the sideboard, I`d consider Doom Blade. Its a good way to deal with troublesome big creatures such as Trostani, Boros Reckoner, Loxodon Smiter, Thragtusk, Huntmaster of the Fells, Scavenging Ooze, Restoration Angel, and more. The only cards it doesn`t seem to hit are Xathrid Necromancer, Olivia, and Vampire nighthawk; I don`t think you care about the otheer creatures you`ll see.

What you wrote for Legion's Initiative, Brimstone Volley, and Boros Charm can be paraphrased as "I want this card some of the time: some of the time its amazing and other times it could be much better". If you think this way about these cards, put them in your sideboard.

For your two-drops, Have you considered Firefist Striker? Not being able to make a thragtusk, a Smiter, or whatever block is a pretty big deal. Its only good in matchups where you get use out of the Battalion (against midrange decks and other decks that flood the board), so following similar reasoning to above maybe it also belongs in your sideboard.

Other than that, it looks good; I`m interested to see what Mono Red can do in this format and I know a lot of other people are too.
thedarkness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the deck and basically agree with your picks and mister_milk's comments. But Dragonskull Summit and Searing Spear rotated.

Edit: NEVERMIND. Apparently core sets no longer rotate each other out of standard independently of the fall rotation. Which is retarded.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1