Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GP Vegas Breakdown

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: GP Vegas Breakdown Reply with quote

So let's start this breakdown with my pool. I thought it was an excellent pool, and mostly I'm disappointed that I did not perform better with it. Perhaps because my lucky sleeves which I've played with since Time Spiral fell out of my bag somewhere between the airport and the hotel. Let me know how you would have built it at the end. Big question is: Worm Harvest, yes or no?

Colorless
Dakmor Salvage
Terramorphic Expanse x2
Vivid Crag
Vivid Creek
Vivid Grove
Arcbound Stinger
Bonesplitter
Myr Enforcer
Myr Retriever

White
Amrou Scout
Amrou Seekers x2
Blinding Beam x2
Cenn's Enlistment
Cloudgoat Ranger
Dispeller's Capsule
Flickerwisp
Gleam of Resistance
Hillcomber Giant
Ivory Giant
Saltfield Recluse
Sandsower
Stonehewer Giant
Test of faith x2

Blue
Aethersnipe
Esperzoa
Etherium Sculptor
Faerie Mechanist
Glen Elendra Archmage x2
Latchkey Faerie
Narcomoeba
Peer Through Depths
Perilous Research
Pestermite
Reach Through Mists x2
Vedalken Dismisser

Black
Absorb Vis x2
Blightspeaker
Death Cloud
Deepcavern Imp x2
Drag Down
Dreamspoiler Witches
Facevaulter x2
Phthisis
Rathi Trapper
Raven's Crime
Stinkweed Imp
Syphon Life x2
Thieving Sprite

Red
Glacial Ray x3
Hammerheim Deadeye
Lava Spike
Rift Bolt
Stingscourger
Stinkdrinker Daredevil x2
Thundering Giant

Green
Durkwood Baloth
Eternal Witness
Giant Dustwasp
Hana Kami
Imperiosaur
Incremental Growth
Masked Admirers
Nantuko Shaman
Penumbra Spider
Riftsweeper x3
Rude Awakening
Search for Tomorrow x2
Sporoloth Ancient x2
Thallid

Gold
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Knight of the Reliquary
Trygon Predator
Worm Harvest

Round 1 - Jacob
Jake had no action in either game. Game 1, turn 3 KOTR destroys him. Game 2 he has Logic Knot for the KOTR, but no follow up for Augustin, Imperiosaur, Admirers, and a host of other mid range bombs. He seemed to feel like he had bad luck, but I think he brought a knife to a gun fight. 1-0

Round 2 - Russell H.
Game 1 my opp walked into a brutal 2 for 1 when I forced his Festering Goblin to hit his Dark Confidant. Reveillark was too little too late. Game 2's highlight was his Divinity of Pride. When I drew my 12th land I still had a slim chance to win, but the 13th was a clincher. Game 3 was a terrible blowout, but because of the 30 minute long game 2, it finished in turns. 2-0

Intermission - Jens Arndt
Jens bought the VIP package. If you don't know what this is, it means that you get some perks while playing. Included in this is a judge to bring you a bottle of water at the start of every round and a table that stays the same as much as possible. Jens got paired against another VIP, meaning somebody had to move and this was a big, big deal to him. We wasted the first 5 minutes of round 3 waiting for him to be moved by the HJ down to his proper table. My 3rd round opp and I shared a laugh about what a baby he was before getting started.

Round 3 - Hunter
Hunter writes a blog called Hipsters of the Coast (http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com). This round was a nail biter all the way through. I kept a risky hand in game 1 and even though I did hit a 3rd land on turn 4, I never did catch up to him. Game 2, I kept steady pressure combined with the solid defense of Glen Elendra Archmage and Penumbra Spider. Game 3, he sideboarded into a completely different deck and almost caught me off guard. I used Rude Awakening (with only 6 lands) to give me the last creature I needed to win while sitting on 4 life. He was very gracious about the loss, but you could see that he never expected to lose during the bye rounds. 3-0

To be continued this evening. It is, sadly, time to go back to working for a living Sad
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a pretty solid deck there not amazing but with a bit of luck you should be able t o do well with it. Could do with a bomb and a bit extra card draw. I decided to go for a 4 colour deck as you have loads of great mana fixing so there is no reason not to. Its a shame you did not get more of the cards that really abuse many colours. I went for a slight rebel sub theme but did not fully commit as I felt you just had some better cards.

1 Bonesplinter
2 Search for Tomorrow
1 Durkwood baloth
2 Rift Sweeper
1 Greater Duskwasp
3 Glacial Ray
1 Rift Bolt
1 Gleam of resistance
1 armour scout
1 saltfield recluse
1 armour seekers
1 flickerwisp
1 rathi tapper
1 Drag down
1 eternal witness
1 knight of the reliquary
1 nantuko shaman
1 cloudgoat ranger
1 rude awakening

2 Terramorphic expanse
1 vivid crag
1 vivid grove
1 swamp
2 mountain
4 plains
6 forest

Hope you enjoyed the gp:) ps with this deck I think you should have a few different builds built depending on what you are facing, glen eladra is amazing in some match ups. But I can not be bothered to build multiple builds just for a thread:P
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round 4 - Greg
Game 1 saw me lose a nearly inassailable advantage on the back of 15 lands while my opponent slowly came back from the brink of death. Game 2 was a murderous blowout. Game 3 was very tight and came down to a play error I made. Now I thought that Flickerwisp for Eternal Witness for Search for Tomorrow would ramp me on turn 6 to 7 lands - I needed 8 to win (Rude Awakening). When I realized that I would get Witness back too late to be able to cast my Search, I changed to get back Glacial Ray instead of Search for Tomorrow. 2 turns later I only had 7 mana available, and I'm still not sure if I miscounted all along or forgot to drop a land on turn 7 - either way I was a day late and a dollar short of my only out. 3-1

Round 5 - Kevin
Game 1, my opponent saw no action at all. I really had the nuts hand that stopped him from generating any defense. Game 2 was a bloody race, but Kevin thought he was winning all along because I had burn in hand. I chillingly almost blew this game when he targetted his 5/5 (which I had chump blocked) with Fury Charm. I had a Glen Elendra Archmage on the battlefield, so was certain to win. When he cast Fury Charm, I thought for 2 minutes, started to scoop up my cards, and realized the card I was going to pick up was the out which I had all along and forgot about. A close call to bring me to 4-1

Round 6 - Aaydill
This was an ugly match for me. Not only was it my worst matchup, he seemed to get perfect draws to beat everything I played -- counters for my early threats, burn for my midgame utility creatures, and bounce for my biggest threats. It was definitely one of those matches that leave you wondering what went wrong. 4-2

Round 7 - Jeff
All I can say for this round is that the lack of sleep and the stress of the day were catching up with me. I don't even remember most of the match -- the most distinct part being when I allowed a Executioner's Capsule to resolve because my hand was empty and then noticed that I could have countered with Glen Elendra to save my KOTR. I didn't deserve this match, but I had definitely earned a good night's sleep. I stayed for one more round (opp just said he was tired and I could have the PWP) then made the most of the rest of my vacation.

Dropped at 5-3
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the deck I played by request. I was pretty proud of it - the only issue being that I was constantly mana flooded throughout the day.

Lands
Terramorphic Expanse x2
Vivid Crag
Vivid Creek
Vivid Grove
Forest x4
Plains x4
Island x3
Mountain

Gold
Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
Knight of the Reliquary
Trygon Predator

White
Cenn's Enlistment
Cloudgoat Ranger
Flickerwisp
Ivory Giant

Blue
Aethersnipe
Glen Elendra Archmage x2
Pestermite

Red
Glacial Ray x3

Green
Eternal Witness
Giant Dustwasp
Imperiosaur
Incremental Growth
Masked Admirers
Penumbra Spider
Rude Awakening
Search for Tomorrow x2
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your deck had a series of issues the lack of card draw, would go some way to explain the flooding. Though you did have admirers it is some what slow. This is why I included a small rebel engine in my build, as it would give you a few more ways to eecks out card advantage and stall until you win with rude awakening which is the closest thing you have to a legit bomb.

I think you should defiantly be playing some riftsweepers main deck considering how good suspend is.

2 your deck has a massive problem with some of the bombs in the format which if you get to the later rounds of the tournament top tables, which is obv where your aiming to be you will run into it. For example Meloku, you have no way of killing it bar double glacial ray, if you included drag down you would have an answer, similarly a keiga or any of the dragons, or just a big sky reach mantra, or ephermeron suspend early is hard for your deck to beat as it is. Honestly you want rift sweeper main. If you add the tapper and drag down though you can answer most the big bombs, the format throws at you. I played about 3 limited ptqs back when i played the tournament scene as opposed to just online and the one I top8ed was thanks to including blinding powder in my main deck in anticipation of running into jitte in a latter round which i did and blinding powder won me the game.

Also I think if you playing ceens enlistement main deck you should also include, gleam of resistance.

Was incremental growth really bad for you every time I have played that card it has been really bad?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incremental Growth was absurdly good, particularly with the Glen Elendras.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1