Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jund Aristocrats

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Jund Aristocrats Reply with quote

no, I did not mistype that, this really is a JUND aristocrats deck. The first thing that should probably be going through your head is what are you doing in Jund colors that could possibly be worth lossing lingering souls, cartel aristocrat, voice of resurgence, boros reckoner +blashphemus act and so forth? The answer, actual aggression. Act 1, 2 and junk have all had the problem with applying pressure on an opponent. Against decks with permission walls and 7 wraths you have a very tough time. Also people are bringing in good hate cards against the previous incarnations of aristocrats making it more difficult to perform well at a large tournament with it.

This new version is HIGHLY aggressive. Not only that, but it's threats happen to be incredibly resilient and happen to have haste vastly increasing its damage potential and making control decks have fits.

Card Choices:

// Creatures
4 [DKA] Falkenrath Aristocrat:
Big, hard to kill, has haste, has flying, and a sacrifice outlet. Very good in a deck that is trying to kill your opponent fast.

4 [DKA] Gravecrawler
These are 2 power 1 drops that can be sacrificed easily, also there are a lot of zombies in this deck so buying him back is not difficult. Having a quality 1 drop that keeps coming back is very important for aggro decks.

4 [RTR] Lotleth Troll
Hard to remove since it regenerates and most people are running abrupt decay over putrefy. Trample is a big issue when you start scavenging onto it and this is a very tough guy for the other aristocrats decks to deal with as it plows through all of their chump blockers.

4 [DGM] Spike Jester
This card is similar to doomed traveler in this deck except its the offensive version of it. With doomed traveler you hope to get value by blocking and sacking it to get another token, with jester your hoping to get a lightning bolt (or 2) instead of the token. Also Jester is MUCH better to scavenge then traveler

3 [DGM] Varolz, the Scar-Striped
With all the efficient creatures in terms of power vs. casting cost, varolz works overtime in this deck. Especially when you consider how much haste is in the deck. Imagine paying 3 mana and scavenging vexing devil onto spike jester...yes that is a 7/5 haste for 3 mana and yes that is terrifying!

4 [AVR] Vexing Devil
Speaking of, normally I don't like Devil, it's usually a flame rift when you want to be deploying threats early and its usually just another do nothing guy when you want to be burning out your opponent late. This is one of those rare situations where Devil really shines. If your opponent lets you flame rift them early you will either overwhelm your opponent with tons of hasty damage or eventually scavenge it back for a low 1 red making one creature beastly, late in the game having a 1 mana 4/3 to go with your army that is beating your opponent down is awesome too, its like playing tarmogoyf in zoo.

4 [RTR] Dreg Mangler
Zombie for gravecrawler, 3 mana for 3 haste damage, and built in scavenge so you don't need a vorelz to make a guy big. Very powerful and effective in your game plan.

3 [GTC] Ghor-Clan Rampager
Rampager helps us push damage through, sometimes your opponents will attempt to hide behind lingering souls tokens but with this you can push a severe amount of damage through them and after they have seen it your opponents will be put into awkward situations where they will be blocking with multiple tokens to attempt to play around you having one. Also by just casting it you have a trampling threat to scavenge onto in addition to your troll.

// Spells

3 [GTC] Domri Rade
This deck is half creatures so Domri hits rather frequently. Against control decks Domri is a force to be reckoned with. An important note is that in this deck you will often want to plus him before combat in case you hit another haste threat.

3 [DKA] Tragic Slip
You need some amount of removal to deal with threats, not sure if tragic slip is entirely right, but it's been working for me. This list is still in alpha testing though even though my results have been much better then I had anticipated.

// Lands
4 [DGM] Stomping Ground
4 [DGM] Overgrown Tomb
4 [DGM] Blood Crypt
4 [ISD] Woodland Cemetery
4 [M13] Dragonskull Summit
1 [ISD] Kessig Wolf Run
3 [M13] Rootbound Crag

as for the land base, with such an aggressive curve the most important thing is consistency. the deck is VERY mana hungry and it might be right to cut the wolf run for another crag but I'm not sure yet.

this leaves us with the current list

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [DGM] Stomping Ground
4 [DGM] Overgrown Tomb
3 [DGM] Blood Crypt
1 [ISD] Kessig Wolf Run
3 [M13] Rootbound Crag

// Creatures
4 [DKA] Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 [DKA] Gravecrawler
4 [RTR] Lotleth Troll
4 [DGM] Spike Jester
4 [AVR] Vexing Devil
4 [RTR] Dreg Mangler
3 [GTC] Ghor-Clan Rampager

// Spells
3 [GTC] Domri Rade
3 [DKA] Tragic Slip

As I have only recently started testing this deck I dont have the sb up yet. Thoughts on that are very welcome. Hope you have enjoyed the list.

Aqualad33
Devkarven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you think fitting Young Wolf and High Priest in the deck would work? You can still pop out 5/5s on turn 3 the same way other versions of the deck do, would probably have to up it to 4 Varolz though to do it more consistently
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, those are definitely cards that someone should consider for any aristocrats type deck. Young wolf is very good at stalling the ground and high priest can let a deck that is stalling push through.

The problem with these two cards is that they do not work well with the rest of the deck. Those cards are built for causing a ground stall situation and gaining an edge there. This version however is on an aggressive game plan. Young wolf's damage output is very meger and high priest, while powerful, takes a while to get online.

4 varolz might be correct, if so it should probably be played over the 3rd rampager but remember he is a legend so there will frequently be times where you have multiple in hands and it puts you on a virtual muligan. This will not be an issue however when m14 rolls around.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually legendary rule doesn't really help when you have another copy stuck in your hand Razz Not sure how you think that will work with m14 rules changes.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if that's what he meant since you can do exactly same thing right now.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kabelis wrote:
Not sure if that's what he meant since you can do exactly same thing right now.

Actually you can not right now, under the current rules if I cast varolz with another varolz in play both of them die, leaving you without a varolz. When the new rules come around I can play the extra and choose to keep one and scavenge the other.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I misread something myself then. You're right Razz Yeah what you said makes sense then.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this deck a lot. First of technically that is to say in terms of mana and curve the deck is excellent and all the numbers in the deck seem right.

It's also more creative than some of your recent stuff. I was like what hes playing vexing devil, then I saw what you were actually doing with it and was like that's quite clever.

No sideboard though come on:<

I would be interested to know why you are not playing Flinthoof Boar or burning tree emissary?

My only criticism with no testing of the deck, though I may have to build this on modo is vexing devil, Varloz a little to cute cool combo and not practical enough for a competitive environment. Chances are you already know the answer to this question better than me. Varloz would surely still be good if devil was cackler? But devil with out varloz is still pretty poor?
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
I like this deck a lot. First of technically that is to say in terms of mana and curve the deck is excellent and all the numbers in the deck seem right.

It's also more creative than some of your recent stuff. I was like what hes playing vexing devil, then I saw what you were actually doing with it and was like that's quite clever.

No sideboard though come on:<

I would be interested to know why you are not playing Flinthoof Boar or burning tree emissary?

My only criticism with no testing of the deck, though I may have to build this on modo is vexing devil, Varloz a little to cute cool combo and not practical enough for a competitive environment. Chances are you already know the answer to this question better than me. Varloz would surely still be good if devil was cackler? But devil with out varloz is still pretty poor?

Thanks for the feedback, this deck was originally built because Sam Black and Brian Kibler were talking about a Jund aristocrats deck on SCG. While I don't have premium so I couldn't read the article, I was able to piece together the main idea of it from the comments others posted. This deck has only recently been built and is still in alpha testing so it's not finely tuned yet. With that in mind I'll do my best to answer all your questions as best as possible.

No Sideboard: one of the main reasons I have not included one is because the deck is so new, but a larger reason is because the main deck is so tight and I have not figured out what the bad matchups are, how to beat them, and most importantly what should and should not come out of the main deck. A very large problem that newer players tend not to respect is over sideboarding. That is to say, deviating too far from their personal strategy to board in hate cards. An example of this would be if I boarded in 4 grafdigger's cages against reanimator. Although would cut off my opponent reanimator engine, I would be sacrificing my aggressive curve to do so. In the end I would be hurting myself more by bringing in these hate cards then benefiting.

Finding proper sideboard cards for this deck that solve problematic situations while maintaining the aggressiveness that this deck thrives on is something that I am having difficulty with (this is also compounded by the fact that I tend to be a control player at heart and lack experience as an aggro player).

As for flinthoof and burning tree, those were cards that I have been keeping in consideration but have not tested out yet, but I think they will be very good. Thank you for your comments.
warwizard87

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of notes from playtesting, grave crawler is underwheling, i ran experament one and wow can you come out the gates fast. turn 1 experament, turn 2 jesuer swing for 5 turn 3 dreg mauler swing for 9 turn 4 aristrocrate swing 14 thats gg

vexing devil actualy preforms well here, neither of his modes your opponet is happy about. especialy of varolz is on the table.

flinthoof boar is a great card but has the same effective cost as mauler, dosnt have the built in haste and scavange and with varolz only scavanges for 2but only costs 2 but thats meh, to much downside.

burning tree just dosnt have a home here, your only 2 drops are RB and GR what are you going to accelerate into?

also id conciderd running 1 forest and mabey 1 swamp main deck i have far to many hands were i hit a cipt land with no shock land to put them into play untapped, it hurts a bit.

sideboard is pretty obv, some number of 2-3 golgari charm, 4th tragic slip, 4th domini rade, 2-3 rakdos revenge, 2-3 oliva, 2-3 abrupt decays/putrefy, flavor rest to meta game, mabey slaughter games, duress, appitite for brains, pillar of flames, ground seal, dreadbore, also possible are zealous conscripts and treasons acts.
Yavimaya73

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...great minds think alike I guess, I have this deck pretty much already built. I came up with this idea when Dragon's Maze first arrived. I put together a jund Valroz deck. I cant really call it aristocrat, cause it equally uses Valroz and Falkenrath Aristocrat. But I am using Vexing Devil for Valroz. Either they take 4 to the face or...my creature gets bigger and they still take 4 to the face plus some. Also am using Lotleth Troll for discard toss..Instead of gravecrawler I am using Blood Scriviner, which is easily used with combo with Lotleth. I am also using Thragtusk and Knights of Infamy as well as Borderland Ranger and Exava for human sorces plus they serve their own individual purposes. For spells I use Putrefy, Dreadbore, and Abrupt Decay. I feel it's pretty solid and with Slaughter Games and Ground Seal, I feel I can protect my scavenge fodder from most gy removal.
warwizard87

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what i ahve been running with having pretty good success so far.

// Lands
4 [RTR] Overgrown Tomb
4 [DGM] Blood Crypt
3 [DGM] Stomping Ground
1 [ISD] Kessig Wolf Run
1 [CST] Swamp (1)
3 [AVR] Cavern of Souls

// Creatures
4 [DKA] Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 [RTR] Lotleth Troll
4 [AVR] Blood Artist
4 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
4 [DKA] Young Wolf
1 [GTC] Thrull Parasite
4 [DKA] Gravecrawler
3 [MGD] Diregraf Ghoul
3 [ISD] Skirsdag High Priest

// Spells
2 [GTC] Domri Rade

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [GTC] Domri Rade
SB: 3 [DKA] Tragic Slip
SB: 2 [ISD] Olivia Voldaren
SB: 2 [RTR] Golgari Charm
SB: 2 [M13] Ground Seal
SB: 2 [RTR] Rakdos's Return
SB: 1 [RTR] Abrupt Decay
SB: 2 [GTC] Act of Treason
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I built a version tailored more to my own style on modo and im impressed steam rolling everything so far

4 Experiment one
4 Gravecrawler
4 lotleth troll
4 flinthoof boar
4 spike jester
3 searing spear
3 Dreg Mangler
3 Varloz the scar stripped
2 Domri Rade
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat
3 Ghor-clan Rampager

4 blood crypt
4 overgrown tomb
4 stomping ground
4 rootbound crag
4 woodland cemetary
3 dragonskul1 sumit

sb

4 pillar of flame
1 searing spear
4 naturalize
4 ground seal
2 Dreadbore

Amazed with the deck so far:)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1