Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MMA 4-3-2-2 Draft 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: MMA 4-3-2-2 Draft 2 Reply with quote

Back with another modern masters 4-3-2-2 draft fun format.

The Draft - http://youtu.be/rFspxZftKqQ

Round 1 - http://youtu.be/KAXtYVzLG1Y

Round 2 - http://youtu.be/YORzFCtHUGQ

Finals - : http://youtu.be/vLUGdTep7wE

Hope you enjoy.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching you pass away a solid UR arcane deck was sickening. Also, you could have had a great artifact subtheme if you took spellbombs and shrapnel blast.
Also, you passed a bunch of blue to your left. You being confused as to why no blue is coming pack 2 is a solid showing that you didn't realize the cards you passed.
Getting passed Electrolyze pack 2 doesn't mean he isn't blue, it simply means he isn't blue/red or able to splash.
I also feel you value a 4/4 flyer for 6 too highly in this format. Dragon isn't that good when suspended and I feel it you could have taken torrent (which tabled, thankfully), stingscourger, or TFK easily over it.
Stingscourger is also essentially a 4 drop in the sense that you play it turn 4 or later so you can pay echo.
You should have easily taken Moldevine Cloak over Skyreach Mantra in pack 1.
You also had a chance to be in storm with a great UR deck, but I feel being in on Arcane with storm cards for value and solid creatures was where you should have been. You could have had multiple dampen thoughts along with many many arcane cards.
Overall, I think you overlooked the importance of synergy within an archtype as powerful as arcane with the cards you saw. Granted, you did well in the event, I still feel your deck should have been much, much better and that you made many picks incorrectly.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally I disagree, I tried arcane in my first draft, I was a huge fan of dampen during kamiblock (I got my best results with it) but if you ask me the archtype, does not work with out psychic puppetry, as you can not handle big creatures or creatures equipped with a sword or clock, bonesplinter etc. Plus I think what a lot of people have said about combo remains true in this format you have to commit early and then get lucky with your cards.

I felt my deck was pretty good. Of course the overall power level of cards in this set is pretty high so opinions on how to draft the set will vary. But my way has been working well for me and I think it is unfair to call my picks wrong, as it was not like I was taking obviously weaker cards, but simply employing a different draft strategy.

Clearly there are multiple ways to draft modern, I drafted a coherent control deck removal, card draw, bounce, evasion, bombs, card advantage.

Honestly if my opponent to the left was in blue it was his own error, its his job to work out my signals not my job to work out his, apart from a spellbomb I passed little blue, if he went into arcane storm archtype no problem we only clash on a few cards ray etc. I think the wheeled torrent sums up how well I read the signals regardless of how obvious they are.

Mantra is amazing in green 5cc and great against other flyers and I often hate it if im not in the archtype. How is cloack going to cause me a problem in ur, I have access to cloudskate, echoing truth, aethersnipe and stingscounger, all of which make moldervine a bit bad.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcane is very good to go into. Even if you purely go into it for synergy purposes and have a good creature portion to compliment it. Having storm in this format is mainly to mesh well with being in arcane. This allows you to gain massive value out of each card in your deck, thus granting card advantage (which is what your deck, UR Control, looks to do).

I feel you took overall weaker cards due to missing out on good synergy which makes those synergy picks much better than other cards.

If you simply rewatch the draft, you shipped a bunch of card draw to the left along with some affinity cards to compliment the TFK. It is very obvious he wasn't red and I don't think many people could have been since you got the torrent on the table.

Mantra is amazing in a deck that relies just as hard as storm does on getting lucky opens. The cloak pick was because you could have actually played cloak in your deck on a splash if it came up (and allows you to grab other good green cards that you passed). Bouncing a Mantra is much better anyways since it requires vivid counters sometimes and also doesn't have immediate effects (where cloak pumps a guy that can attack right away). I still feel you should take cloak simply to allow you the chance to be in green if it came up.

In my opinion, RUG is a great archtype. You have arcane, fixing, ramp, suspend and storm along with some of the best guys (imperiosaur, durkadurka baloth, nantuko shaman, errant, aethersnipe, etc). Then you can even gain value out of hana kami and such. You passing up on cloak but hating mantra just seemed wrong for all the right reasons. I'd much rather hate a playable card in your deck than an unplayable card while passing a solid good card.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cards I took were clearly more powerful in the abstract, if not collectively. Personally I do not like the arcane archtype in this format. I make finals atleast of most drafts I do in this format and rarely do I come across any sucessfull archtypes with a strong arcane theme.

Faeries ur, ub, rb,5cc (which is actually very consistent if drafted properly), bw rebels is you ask me are the winning archtypes in this format. I've played against a multitude of affinity decks and I have always beaten them.

I rewatch all draft videos before posting them, if I do not feel they are upto standard I do not post them. I feel this draft was a strong draft.

Why would I splash moldervine clock, are you trying to troll me? I already have sofi and I only have 8 creatures and most of them are so big and have evasion the cloak would be unnecessary. I knew my deck was complete, so now my plan was to take what ever card was going to cause me the most problems afterall I am trying to win the draft.

Some good green was passed, but better red was being passed and meloku is a big reason to be in blue and its not like I was getting passed no blue, he wins games by himself. I was pretty certain the person next to me was in bw rebels, if you watch the draft I get passed next to no rebel cards at all. The person next to him was probably in faeries as we saw very little faeries all draft also, probably my 2nd round opponent, he had a strong fae deck.

The person feeding me pack 2 I suspect he was my first round opponent but I could be wrong on that.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Limited All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1