Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GB Death Cloud (Great British Cloud) in Modern

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: GB Death Cloud (Great British Cloud) in Modern Reply with quote

GB Death Cloud (Great British Cloud) in Modern

Hello recently I’ve been enjoying modern masters drafts on modo and decided to turn my attention to modern. Looking at the decks in the format I noticed many tron and combo type decks and a lot of non-basic lands. To me a death cloud deck seemed ideal to beating storm, tron decks and so forth whilst standing a chance in most other match ups. After a bit of testing im convinced there is a reasonable at least deck out there, the deck is quite grindy. Here is the list.

Great British Cloud

3 inqusition of kozilek
2 thoughtseize
3 Golgari Signet
4 Farseek
4 Abrupt Decay
4 Kitchen Finks
3 Fulmilator Mage
2 Eternal Witness
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
2 Solemn Simulacrum
2 Tombstalker
4 Death Cloud
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Verdant Catacomb
4 Woodland Cemetary
3 Twilight Mire
8 Swamp
1 Forest

The deck looks to ramp out early whilst using discard and removal and land destruction to slow down the opponents game plan. Before resolving a back breaking death cloud, ideally with a garruk of kitcen finks in play to survive the massacre. Garruk is very powerfull in this deck, the ideal draw of turn 1 discard spell, turn 2 ramper, turn 3 garruk of Solemn, followed by death cloud on the next go beats a lot of decks. All the cards in the deck compliment death cloud in one way or another with the exception of Abrupt Decay, which is there to slow down fast aggro which there does not seem to be to much of atm. The deck has two main problems flooding out and not hitting death cloud and stalling on land. The deck copes quite badly with uneven distributions of mana and spells (like most decks tbh) which modo does throw up every once in a while.

The Sb
1 Boseju – vs counter based decks
2 Naturalize – Vs affinity and all sorts of random decks
2 Damnnation – vs zoo like aggro decks
1 Dismember – vs infect other aggro
1 Fumilator Mage – vs tron scape shift
2 Go for the throat- vs twin aggro, decks that may bring in obstinate baloth
1 Inqusition of Kozilek- Vs Combo and some control
2 Obstinate Baloth- RDW, Aggro decks, decks with lili
2 Oxidize Affinity
1 Tomrods Crypt, living death decks, decks with full set of snapcasters plus counters, other graveyard strategies, ie past in flames.

Thoughts Appreciated.

Last edited by GreenBear on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried smallpox? Can throw off a lot of 2nd turn starts from a variety of decks.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I have not, it could be quite good, vs aggro I will keep that in mind.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treetop Village has always been a backbone of Deathcloud decks. You still have pressure after a huge Death Cloud resolves.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some number of Liliana of the Veil would be a good idea. Also, you should probably use the good Garruk.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treetop village was something I was considering, I was worried about having to many green sources in the mana base and cpt lands seem a bit slow for the environment. But I think your right in that I should trial them man lands are as a rule awesome and it would solve some of the flooding issues.

The good garruk, which one do you even mean? Garruk wild speaker is the best garruk, even if not this one is clearly the best in cloud as the untap two lands play is very relevant, for big clouds early followed by a stream of 3/3s whilst your opponent is left with no land and hand.

This is defiantly not a Lilliana deck, I am not packing enough removal to make liliana own aggro . Plus I do not want to be discarding land because of cloud, which means I am going to end up discarding spells and that is never good. Lili is good in decks that are midrange which this is but also can operate completely happily with 3 or 4 lands in play, which being a death cloud deck clearly this clashes.

I've also been considering adding some, geralf messengers, as they work great with cloud but I probably can not add messengers and treetop village. I think I prefer village as it doubles as a land and makes the deck more threat dense with out actually having to add more spells.
Roman_

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need 3 liliana of the veil. Is perfect in that deck.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before this is not a liliana of the veil deck, it can not afford to discard its lands as it needs lots and no deck can afford to discard its spells. Death cloud and liliana do not work together. If you want to ask the question does liliana do largely the same things death cloud does but more efficiently,as they both rape hands and boards. Then I think you have a good question, clearly its the land destruction and the decks ability to be tailored to recover from a cloud that makes the case for cloud being better (not as a card its not but in the deck). Im not not 100% sure on the answer yet. But a great piece of magic advice given to me once about drafting was if in doubt between two cards take the one with the lower mana cost and I think you can apply the same to deck building but I'm going to have somefun trying to get the deck to work anyway.

I did some testing earlier today, the results were pretty depressing. A lot of very close games but also a lot of losses. I tested 3 treetop village and it was the most positive thing about the day, greatly improved the deck thanks for that CMA. I'm enjoying the games with the deck even if the results are frustrating, just feels like it needs a little bit more every game normally an extra land to make my death cloud big enough.
___

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is golgari signet better than say, utopia sprawl? (nearly same effect, costs 1 mana less) (there are also similar enchantments with different names i can't remember...)
Also sakura tribe elder instead of farseek? You're playing simulacrum so you already play some number of basics.
Where is tarmogoyf? I mean... he is always strong and also seems synergic with death cloud (but maybe you already tested it and didn't work?).

On a different note, I was thinking if going to junk colors (GBw) could be an option with voice or resurgence.
KoClamp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Advice Reply with quote

Heres a pretty solid list if you want some advice

Lands-23
x4 Verdant Catacombs
x1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
x1 Bojuka Bog
x1 Oran Reif, the Vastwood
x2 Golgari Rotfarm
x2 Overgrown Tomb
x2 Twilight Mire
x3 Treetop Village
x4 Swamp
x3 Forest

Creatures-11
x4 Sakura Tribe Elder
x3 Eternal Witness
x3 Kitchen Finks
x1 Grave Titan

Spells-26
x2 Primal Command
x2 Garruk Wildspeaker
x2 Liliana of the Veil
x4 Inquisition of Kozilek
x2 Maelstrom Pulse
x2 Thoughtseize
x2 Explore
x3 Smother
x3 Death Cloud
x2 Damnation
x2 Harmonize

Sideboard-15
x3 Seal of Primordium
x1 Sylvan Scrying
x1 Boseiju, Tree Who Shelters All
x2 Obstinate Baloth
x2 Beast Within
x1 Infest
x2 Creeping Corrosion
x3 Other Cards

This is a really tuned list that my friend and I have been playing, before you question the numbers try it out.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already tried quite a few cards in that list. Sakura tribe elder for example and explore. I had issue with sakura as you never knew when to sac it or not, sometimes you would draw a death cloud and still have a 1/1 in play this happened a lot, so I removed it because of that issue. Explore, is great when it works but when you cast it with 2 land in your hand its such a gamble, you often lose if you wiff.

Why would you not play abrupt decay over smother, shackles is still a card, as is blood moon, another good reason for main deck signet, besides the fact you often do not want to thin your deck of lands.

Tomb stalker is infinitely better than grave titan, as you can actually cast it after a death cloud, pretty much all the time.

I have been meaning to try Harmonize, it was in my board at one point but 4 mana is a lot for a card in modern, I'm already questioning my solemns main deck.

And how can you expect me to believe a list is tuned when you do not even have a complete sideboard in a format as diverse as modern I would kill for extra sideboard slots.

I think pulse could be a good addition i just need to work out what for.

Also how can you play cloud and not play fumilator mage, its so good right now, the ability to justify main decking was part of the reasoning that drew me to cloud in the first place.

On tarmogoyf, great card but it does not really fit into the cloud stratergy, well it does a little after you have cast cloud its greatbut before its just a big vanilla creature, there is also the price issue of the card as I do not own them. I have tombstalker in that slot, its pretty good, as 1 it does not die to abrupt decay, 2 it flies and if topdecked after a cloud is easily cast able. Just like goyf and I do not really want to be playing goyf before cloud in most situations.

Last edited by GreenBear on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
BIRDYYY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

call me crazy...but I really believe finding home for some white and 4x flagstones could be good :p u really wana be open minded add a couple of ravnica bounce lands.<3
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can most defiantly make a good case for karoos, they work great with death cloud, allow 2 lands to act as three. Though they make fulmilator mage better vs me than it already is and make the deck a little more clunky. I do think your right in that they warrant a trial in the deck I will add some though I do not think you want to run a lot of them.

On adding an extra colour, I will only ever do that if i conclude a two colour deck is not powerful enough, i like to start of with the most consistant version possible of things. I was thinking of adding blue for remand, mystic snake, venser, coiling oracle and crystal shard:D but i decided that deck was a little to much cool stuff and not quite practical enough.

I've done some more testing today and the results have been much better, I beat a bridge from below deck, mostly thanks to drawing my one tormods crypt both games 2 and 3. Then I beat an interesting mono black value deck, I think it was to much value cards and not enough power to be good. Then I beat a mono red goblins deck, it seemed a bit yank (it had goblin grenade and dyna charge in) but it was a good speed test for the deck that it passed. I recorded the games so i will upload them to my youtube channel, so people can watch them if interested.
BIRDYYY

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenBear wrote:
I think you can most defiantly make a good case for karoos, they work great with death cloud, allow 2 lands to act as three. Though they make fulmilator mage better vs me than it already is and make the deck a little more clunky. I do think your right in that they warrant a trial in the deck I will add some though I do not think you want to run a lot of them.

On adding an extra colour, I will only ever do that if i conclude a two colour deck is not powerful enough, i like to start of with the most consistant version possible of things. I was thinking of adding blue for remand, mystic snake, venser, coiling oracle and crystal shard:D but i decided that deck was a little to much cool stuff and not quite practical enough.

I've done some more testing today and the results have been much better, I beat a bridge from below deck, mostly thanks to drawing my one tormods crypt both games 2 and 3. Then I beat an interesting mono black value deck, I think it was to much value cards and not enough power to be good. Then I beat a mono red goblins deck, it seemed a bit yank (it had goblin grenade and dyna charge in) but it was a good speed test for the deck that it passed. I recorded the games so i will upload them to my youtube channel, so people can watch them if interested.

u playin vs some jank decks lol. i wanna see a real bridge deck though
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The games are up for those interested http://www.youtube.com/user/shadesof96 I would also like to point out I had this nickname well before 50 shades of grey was released, the nick is such as Juve the football team I support last won the champions league in 96.

Just lost to affinity after completely whipping his board with cloud, with garruk in play at 6 also, he drew land land land plating with one of the lands being an inkmoth nexus obv whilst i drew 1 land, wtf!!!?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2