Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bant Midrange for Grand Prix Trial

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Bant Midrange for Grand Prix Trial Reply with quote

Sorry this is sooo long but itís hard to get good critic if you just paste a deck.

I plan on taking this deck to a Grand Prix Trial this weekend to try and win some byeís for Grand Prix Las Vegas, I am running this version instead of the Bant Flash version mainly because I donít have Advent of the Wurm. I feel those are very import for running that version of the deck and I donít have time to scoop them up before this weekend.

Iíve played Bant for a while so I know the deck fairly well and how to win with it, but I havenít really played a lot of standard since gatecrash even though I have kept up on the meta game for the most part.

The primary thing I am looking for is SB critic and matchup critic because most of my game plan is going on previous experience rather than recent play testing.

Decklist:
3 Angel of Serenity
4 Restoration Angel
3 Centaur Healer
4 Thragtusk
2 Prime Speaker Zegana

4 Azorious Charm
3 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelations
4 Farseek
4 Supreme Verdict
1 Terminus

2 Alchemist Refuge
4 Breeding Pool
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Hinterland Harbor
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden

SB:
2 Acidic Slime
1 Centaur Healer
1 Clone
3 Loxodon Smiter
2 Negate
2 Purify the Grave
2 Ray of Revelations
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Terminus

Few notes about card choices, basically I expect there to be mostly aggro decks so I tried to build to crush aggro. Healers are dated at this point but they will keep me alive and block some guys, like wise thatís why I am running 7 charms which I think is excessive. Terminus is the 5th supreme verdict I canít run but would like to but also has the added bonus of getting rid of things I donít want to go to the GY. Alchemist Refuge was something I seen in a similar deck list that I wanted to try out. Being able to flash in thrag or a verdict late game could be an unexpected game changer if my opponent is not used to what the card does.

The decks I want to be prepared for are Jund (Owenís Build), Junk Rites, Bant Auras, Gruul Aggro, AristoCombo, Aristo Aggro, and Bant Flash. I got these from TCG as the top decks/most popular being played and since it is a Grand Prix Trial I figure people will put away their FNM decks and net deck a Teir 1 deck.

Jund SB: -3 Selesnya Charm, -1 Healer, -1 Terminus. +1 Clone +2 Slime +2 Negate
The matchup against jund is always very grindy and usually depends on where/when I find a Sphinxís Revelations to determine how/if I win. The charm usually doesnít hit anything except for thragtusk but as I am writing this I remember they play kessig so after they pump I could rfg, maybe Iíll keep this in but then need to decide what to take out. Healer and terminus come out because there not terribly aggressive and they tend to only play 1-2 threats at a time, clone kills Olivia and copies thragtusk if necessary and slime can disrupt land base/kill kessig and trades well with thrag. Negate needs to stop Rakdos Return and Bonfire of the dammed, usually if they resolve one of these they win in that turn or next. I was also thinking about bringing in a couple of smiters to combat Lilianna but wasnít sure what to take out.

Junk Rites SB: -2 Azourious Charm, -3 Revelations, +2 Purify the Grave, +3 Smiter.
I am not too sure about this matchup but I want to drop revelations and charms because sin collector is going to tear my hand apart and I donít want most of their creatures to ETB more than once. I choose Purify for GY hate because instant speed flashback. I feel like people will be expecting grafdiggers/groundseal/rest in peace and therefore side in naturalize ect to kill it before the start there shenanigans. Smiters I just wanted more creatures that sin collector canít hit and some versions have been known to have Lilianas.

Bant Auras: - 1 Angel of S. -3 Az. Charm, -1 Revelations. + 2 Ray of Rev. +1 Clone +1 Terminus +1 S. Charm
I feel good about this matchup because between restoration angel, thrag, and healer I donít think they canít kill me quickly enough that I wonít find a terminus or verdict. Selenysa charm can flash a token in to kill geist and Clone kills giest or copies there restoration angel. Ray of rev is instant speed skill enchantments with FB which will let my knight tokens trade hopefully or just keep me alive if they drop a lot of enchantments fast. Azourious Charm doesnít hit much in there deck beside angel which I am not too worried about because if they make it a little stronger it exiles to Sele. charm. An extra terminus is just another answer to giest and/or Invisible Stalker.

Gruul Aggro/Naya Humans: -2 Angel of Serenity, -2 Revelations. +1 Healer, +1 Sele. Charm, +2 Smiter
The goal against most aggro decks is the same, outlast the initial onslaught and wipe the board. Hopefully follow it up with some life gain and then overwhelm with thrags/angelís. Angel of S. and revelations are too slow but I do want to keep 1 of each as they can easily swing the board state for me in a tight race. Healer and smiters are to shore up my 3CC slot and to have decent creatures for them to contend with, smiter canít be speared or flamed so he usually lives to block. Charm can serve as an early blocker against blitz while also exiling something that gets blood rushed or is a Thundermaw Hellkite. My games against aggro should go relatively well as long as my starting hand isnít too slow, I wanted my deck to combat these best as I think they will be the most predominate at this tournament due to them being easier to pilot (general conception, not my opinion) and build.

AristoCombo: -1 Angel of S. -3 Sele. Charm, +2 Slime +2 Purify the grave
I donít know how popular this deck still is but I know that if I donít have a game plan for it I always play against it and lose. Charm doesnít hit much in there deck and I usually donít need to block anything as they typically combo off and just win. Angel of S. is a bit slow and I want to make sure I am not holding things I canít cast while theyíre trying to combo out. Purify the grave at instant speed is usually enough to stop the combo from going infinite and then they have to contend with the fact that it has flashback. It will also nullify the Naturalize effects they will most likely side in. Slime to disturb there land base so it becomes harder to cast all the spells they need to combo off.

Aristo Aggro: -2 Angel S. -2 Revelations, +1 Healer +2 Negate +1 Terminus
Strategy here is much like other aggro decks except I canít rely on smiter to block reckoner or most of their other creatures as they donít mind them dying when they have blood artist out. Negate needs to stop Blasphemous act, bonfire, and rakdos return if they side that in. Terminus can still wipe the field if they have blood artist on the table, so if they overextend looking for the kill with artist I might be able to terminus and it will possible get rid of the blood artist free of charge. Angel of S. and revelations are too slow, I donít want to die because I couldnít cast spells fast enough. I want to take out selesnya charm because it doesnít really do much against them because everything is less than 5 power, and like with smiter, I donít want to block reckoner really, especially with something it can kill without first strike. It may exile Falkenrath Aristo if I supreme verdict and they sac doomed traveler to make it indestructible and +1+1.

Mirror Match/Bant Flash: - 3 healer, -1 terminus , -2 Az. Charm. +2 Slime +2 Negate +1 Clone +1 Sele. Charm
Healers can come out because this will typically be a long grindy match that wonít matter what life totals are until someone has a large board advantage. Terminus is Ok but with both opponent and me running Supreme Verdict neither one of us is going to want to overextend and get overwhelmed after a wipe. Clone is an extra copy of everything good in their deck which is everything in my deck so fits well. Acidic Slime eats some of their land so I can make it more difficult to cast angel or revelations, plus with clone or restoration angel shenanigans I can make it difficult for them to cast anything. Negate stops revelations hopefully and advent of the wurm. Azourious Charm comes out because I donít want anything they control to ETB more than once, If I see a snapcaster mage I may even take out the other ones 1-2 for Purifyís.

Critic and comments are appreciated, some of this stuff I may be way off base on but I think I have a good handle on the deck. Tournament is on 05/25 Same as Gameday

Thanks to all.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing a fairly similar list until recently. I was getting pretty good results against the field, however then I kept running into the gruul aggro deck which I kept losing to. Obviously I was very annoyed at this as I was metaed to beat aggro. That decks god draws are very hard to beat. I really doubt that you can get away with running 2 zenga, 3 angel of serenity atm particularly if your only running 25 land. Format is very fast atm.

I'd try to get a good amount of testing in versus the gruul aggro, as that is your hardest aggro match up. Plus I suspect there will be people who are just going to run aetherling decks because its new, you may want to look into the card yourself, its a beast.

Also junk rites can be a pretty bad match up if they bring in acidic slime, that card can really fuck you over.

I dunoo if br zombies is really a deck anymore, but that deck caused me problems also, messenger, blood artist and falkenrath really do cause the deck some problems. But I did not run any terminus I imagine they give you a fighting chance.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought about that last night while i was playing that prime speaker might be a bit too slow, but do you think revelations is enough card draw to let me win once i stablize? i had considered Big Garruk over Zegana or Jace, Architect but just thought the body was worth it plus drawing 4+cards
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends how sure you are of your meta. The more definite you are it will be all aggro, the lower you want to make your curve. I think your assessment is on that most people will be playing aggro or a control deck aimed at beating aggro, any control deck aimed at beating control you should probably be able to dodge if you win your first few rounds.

I have had trouble a few times with flooding out, but I think in an all aggro meta having a nice curve is a bigger issue.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i am thinking -2 Prime Speaker Zegana +1 Centaur Healer + 1 Trestoni, or maybe Rhox Faithmender? which is better? Faithmender is easier to cast and has lifelink. but trestonit is bigger and interacts with all of my other creatures not just tusk and healer. here is new updated list:

Decklist:
3 Angel of Serenity
4 Restoration Angel
4 Centaur Healer
4 Thragtusk
1 Trostoni, Selesnya's Voice

4 Azorious Charm
3 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelations
4 Farseek
4 Supreme Verdict
1 Terminus

2 Alchemist Refuge
4 Breeding Pool
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Hinterland Harbor
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden

SB:
2 Acidic Slime
1 Clone
3 Loxodon Smiter
2 Negate
2 Purify the Grave
2 Ray of Revelations
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Terminus
1 Garruk, Primal Hunter
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deck looks good to me, the only thing I do not like is centaur healer main over smiter. I think smiter is just a stronger card and the 4/4 body is more relevant than the three life. Most aggro creatures trade with a smiter or it gets hit by spear, whilst smiter, is hard to trade with and dodges the very popular searing spear.

I'd try and get in as much testing vs Gr aggro, as possible and tune with that deck in mind. Its the best of the aggro decks so if your consistently beating that, chances are you will find your beating the rest of them also.
RuSheR

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-1 Angel of serenity
-3 Centaur Healer
-4 Azorious Charm
-1 Supreme verdict
-1 Terminus
-1 Alchemist Refuge

+2 Mimic
+4 Loxodon Smiter
+4 Voice of Resurgence
+1 Gavony Township

@SB
So against Jund you sb out selesnya charm? When they have Olivias, Thragtusks they also got kessig and the worst card against ya that is Sire.

Against Junk, bringing Smiters ... they don't do anything and u sb out all of azorius charms not revelations.

Bant auras you SB out all serenitys and zeganas, azorious charm still can do some work either bouncin up a fencing ace or a saint token, or even using for lifelink.

also @ aristocats match you WANT to block recokner with smiter because if you don't have supreme verdict they combo you off.
I usually SB 1 Selesnya charm out cause it can be used to remove a Falkenrath after a supreme verdict when they usually sac a human for it.

And you really want Rest in Peace in place of those Purify the graves.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting alot of good feed back regarding the Smiter over healer. So now any good recommendations for SB? should the healers just go in? i was thinking maybe more primal hunter to 2 in SB but thats all I got.

Dont have/Cant get Mimic or Voice in time for tourney. Plus as I mentioned before, Id rather run the flash version if i could play anything i wanted.

i concede you point against jund, charm is better than anticipated so probably + 1 from side.

so with new list(smiters over healer) vs Jund:+1 Clone +2 Negate, +1 Charm, +2 Garruk +2 Slime . -1 Terminus, -4 Smiter, -3 Az. Charm

Against Junk I am not bringing in smiters because the do something great, was just bringing them is because the dont get ripped from my hand with sin collector. keep Revelations get out AZ.charm, I like this as they are probabyl not going to beat me very fast so i will have time to cast the revelation, eventho early ones will get take with collector a well timed topdeck of won can save me/win me the game
vs Junk: -4 Az. Charm -1 Smiter +2 Purify +2 Garruk +1 Sele.Charm
P.S. I still like purify over rest in peace because it blanks there naturlize they will probaby side it and rest in peace will remove my GY also which hurts my angel of serenity. goal is to save a charm let them target their GY with their angel, then exile it so I kinda 4-1 them.

Bant Auras: I forget not all the creatures they run have hexproof so i like keeping in Az. Charm. Worst cars it cycles and i can even block lifelink to stay alive.
VS Bant Auras: -3 Angel S. -1 Revelation +2 Ray +1 Charm +1 Clone.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated List
3 Angel of Serenity
4 Restoration Angel
4 Loxodon Smiter
4 Thragtusk
1 Trostoni, Selesnya's Voice

4 Azorious Charm
3 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelations
4 Farseek
4 Supreme Verdict
1 Terminus

2 Alchemist Refuge
4 Breeding Pool
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Hinterland Harbor
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden

SB:
2 Acidic Slime
1 Clone
2 Negate
2 Purify the Grave
2 Ray of Revelations
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Terminus
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
2????
RuSheR

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't SB the smiters out against jund you probably would board 1/2 serenitys.

for the slot on SB maybe renounce the guilds since reckoner+ act // Falkenrath are problematic for the deck
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the idea of something for artiso aggro like renounce, or maybe a catch all like o-ring or sphere. for now tho i am going to put 2 centaur healers in because i feel like my concern of these other decks is getting me away from my main goal of just stomping every aggro deck that put in front of me.
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up playing the list above with the changes of -1 trostoni for 1 forest, before the change my chance of 3 land hands were only 3-10. after adding the land it was 7-10 although i did get flooded sometimes it would be fine with a well timed revelation. for the 2 spots in SB i ended up adding 2 more acidic slimes because it was my only REAL game plan against jund and still wasn't great, but glad i did because i ended up siding them in more games than not.

I called the meta completely wrong didn't play a single aggro deck. I ended up losing final round (took 2nd, MY BYE"S :'() to jund.....and to make things worse i had just taken over the game with 6 life left opp at 25 but i just cast angel of serenity removing my thragtusk resto and slime, I had 2 cards in my hand ( another angel of serentiy and a garruk primal hunter i just topdeck) plenty of mana next turn ( i planned to) attack for 5 remove my angel with my other angel and play the thrag to put me to 11. Opponent has no cards in hand and miracles bonfire for 8 to kill me....bummer

but thanks to everyone for all the help. I lost G1 almost every round but just goes to show you how important your 75 cards are, not just the 60.

Summary:

R1: Naya Midrange L-W-W(1-0)
R2: AristoCombo L-W-L(1-1)
R3: Grixis Control L-W-W(2-1)
R4: 4c Reanimate/Act (basic junk shell with red for reckoner act and harvest pyre) L-W-W(3-1)
R5-Draw to make T4(3-1-1)
T4: R6: Bant Auras W-W(4-1-1)
T4: R7: Jund L-W-L (4-2-1)

any question about what i did/didnt do post here thanks again
MarkovXII

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actual decklist
3 Angel of Serenity
4 Restoration Angel
4 Loxodon Smiter
4 Thragtusk

4 Azorious Charm
3 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelations
4 Farseek
4 Supreme Verdict
1 Terminus

2 Alchemist Refuge
4 Breeding Pool
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Hinterland Harbor
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Temple Garden
1 forest

SB:
4 Acidic Slime
1 Clone
2 Negate
2 Purify the Grave
2 Ray of Revelations
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Terminus
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1