Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to tune mono red aggro?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Mrrr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say a pair of legion loyalists to cockslap any pesky tokens you might run into. Also consider firefist striker, helps push some more damage through. It's also a good wayt to get rid of any excess emisarry mana.
Fefestars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably add 1 Hellrider and 2 Volcanic Strength. Hellrider is too stronk and Volcanic Strength is nuts against any naya-ish build. I would also cut a Pillar of Flame for the 21. Mountain, because Pillar ain't that good right now imo. Yeah, its good against NayaBlitz and okay-ish against mana dorks but that's about it. Just put it into the SB and go big.

Volcanic Strength also helps against Blitz-decks coz your creatures become big and can start blocking (if neccessary) or can mountainwalk some dmg through. They also become unkillable most of the time cause nayablitz doesnt play mizzium mortas. So a 4/4 is unkillable unless you are forced to trade/jump against a Champion of the Parish or unless they have a Rampager.
Its also somekind of auto-win against Naya-midrange. Some decks dont play mortas and therefor have zero outs against mountainwalk creatures (double searing spear might be a thing).
warwizard87

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your deck is a little....off...20 lands is not enough
burnign tree is kind of janky in rdws, the only card it works well with is mauler.

something more along these lines is better

Deck
Creatures (30)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stromkirk Noble
3 Stonewright
4 Ash Zealot
4 Gore-House Chainwalker
3 Lightning Mauler
4 Pyreheart Wolf
4 Hellrider

Burn (Cool
4 Pillar of Flame
4 Searing Spear

Land (22)
1 Hellion Crucible
21 Mountain

wolf and reckoner depends on your metagame, reckoner is better vs aggro and wolf is better vs midrange. stonewright makes everything a threat including your 1 drops. playing less then 4 hell rider is not a good idea, id play 6 if i could.

side should look somethign like,
4 reckoner ( if not main deck)(if main deck 4 mizzium morter)
2 B.act
2 skullcrack
1 helion crucable
2 flames of the firebrand
3 volcanic strangth

other options frostburn wired, hellkite, zealous conscripts, hound of grislebrand
Scuta04

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tested the one Raizes won a trial with whoever did that one did a real good job i think its stronger than any of the other builds i have seen.. alot less devastated by removal
Scuta04

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooooooooook
warwizard87

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warwizard87 wrote:
other options frostburn wired, hellkite, zealous conscripts, hound of grislebrand

I have been wondering about this, but what is the role of Frostburn Weird?[/quote]

he blocks everything in naya and gruul blitz decks and lives to tell the story later then swings for beats.

just won a trial with this

1 Hellion Crucible
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Clifftop Retreat
13 Mountain
4 Ash Zealot
2 Stonewright
4 Stromkirk Noble
4 Hellrider
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Boros Reckoner
1 Legion Loyalist
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
4 Searing Spear
4 Pillar of Flame
2 Skullcrack
3 Boros Charm

sideboard
2 Flames of the Firebrand
3 Volcanic Strength
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Blasphemous Act
2 Rest in Peace
1 Zealous Conscripts
2 Frostburn Weird
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently with that build you have there 20 lands 40 spells you can expect hellrider to on average to be uncastble until turn 6 on the play turn 5 on the draw. To include 4 drops you expect to play on curve in a deck you need an average of 0.4 lands per every spell drew, which means 23 lands minimum as this will give you 0.38 lands per every spell drew which you can round up to 0.4 when you consider you will be on the draw some of the time. If your not playing atleast 23 lands in your deck you probably should not be playing 4 drops.

Simple equation for working out how many lands you should play, based on where your curve ends, with out talking into account for ramp or card draw.

No of lands/No of spells in deck=Z no of cards I can expect to have drew by turn of wanting to ideally cast spell * Z = average number of lands I can expect to have drew by this period.

Example of formula in work 20/60=0.3 10 (no of cards I can expect to have drew by turn 4 on play)*0.3= 3 land average. That formula is the most useful formula there is when it comes to deck building as you can use it to get a good estimate of how often most things should be happening.

However if maths is not your thing there is a much simpler way of getting such things right. Its called looking at what has happened in the past. So I have a deck with 3 4 casting cost spells in it. I know UG madness a really good and successful heavily tuned deck from the past, curve also use to end at 4 with 2-3 roar of the wurm. How many lands did UG madness play 23.

In particular I recommend with this method study broken decks, clamp affinity, UW cawblade, academy, modern jund etc etc. look at the shape stats on these decks for various things and you should have a much better idea what it takes to build a good deck.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1