Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC - 200! (Judged!)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Uroboros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: CaC - 200! (Judged!) Reply with quote

Just yesterday i was thinking about that 200th challenge... and had a bunch of ideas, but i've been out of the game for about 190 submissions, so i'm sure the conventional ones will be already done and 200 means to be special so i was stuck at 2 options, after dismissing the whole "men love" one i decided that the real good challenge would be this one:

Next set seems to be about "clasical" culture (roman/greek cultures) the military part of it wont be much different than other "worlds" but there were a trait on this era of mankind that really stood out, the philosphy, the discover and germ of most sciences, the first time (and for about 2000!!! years, the last) that human beings were almost free...

Philosophers were the cuspid of knowledge but i don't know how to translate philosophy to a magic card, can you guys help me? I will judge the submissions on how well do translate the whole "love for wisdom" (that's what philosophy means after all) into a playable magic card.

I will judge this Sunday's night, so its almost 3 days for a good challenge, good luck!

Last edited by Uroboros on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Livermush

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tome of Chemistry | 2
Artifact - Tome (Rare)

1R, tap: Deal 2 damage to target creature or player. You may copy this ability for each tome you control with a different name.

The Corpus Aristotelicum, the collected works of Artistotle, including his banned books on alchemy and hermetic principle.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tome of Medicine | 2
Artifact - Tome (Rare)

1W, tap: Prevent the next 2 damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn. You may copy this ability for each tome you control with a different name.

The Hippocratic Corpus, the collected works of Hippocrates of Kos and the largest source of information on medicine in the ancient world.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tome of Divination | 2
Artifact - Tome (Rare)

1U, tap: Scry 1. You may copy this ability for each tome you control with a different name.

On Divination, Book 1, by Cicero. A collection of the practices of divination among the Egyptian, Roman, and Greek cultures.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tome of Biology | 2
Artifact - Tome (Rare)

1G, tap: Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it and put it into your hand You may copy this ability for each tome you control with a different name.

Naturalis Historia by Pliny the Elder. Includes everything from botany to zoology.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Necronomicon | 2
Legendary Artifact - Tome (Mythic Rare)

2BB, tap: Put a 5/5 black demon token with flying onto the battlefield. You lose half your life rounded down. You may copy this ability for each tome you control with a different name.

Bound with flesh and written in blood. Through each civilization this book has passed, Sumeria, Babylon, each time leaving nothing in it's wake.

===============================================

Yeah, this is a cycle entry. The idea here is to take some of the great "knowledges" of the ancient world and put them into the game in the form of books that would have been around during or shortly after this time frame.

Edit: All these books would have existed except the Necronomicon, which HP Lovecraft created around 1900~ and featured in a few of his writings (Call of Cthulu, etc).

Last edited by Livermush on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
_Godica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to change my original submission into one inspired by one of my personal favorite philosophical texts.

Flames of Empiricism BR

Enchantment - Rare

Each player draws an additional card at the beginning of his or her draw step.

Whenever a player casts a spell, they discard their hand.

"If we take in our hand any volume; of divinity or school metaphysics, for instance; let us ask, Does it contain any abstract reasoning concerning quantity or number? No. Does it contain any experimental reasoning concerning matter of fact and existence? No. Commit it then to the flames, for it contains nothing but sophistry and illusion."
-- David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding

Last edited by _Godica on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
aule

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alotarus, Philosopher | 1UUU
Planeswalker - Alotarus | Mythic
+1 - Look at the top two cards of your library. Put one into your hand and the other into your graveyard.
-2 - Return target permanent to its owner's hand. That player puts a card from his or her hand on top of his or her library.
-7 - You get an emblem with "Whenever an opponent casts a spell, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy." and "Whenever you copy a spell, draw a card."
//4
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theatre of Debates

Land (rare)

T: Add 1 to your mana pool.

T, tap three untapped creatures you control: Draw a card.

Every time the wise set down with blessed food and smoking euphoria, the wisdom of our people increased. Not necessarily by something useful, but it increased.
Domine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool challenge, I have a masters degree on philosophy so it's amazing for me, hope this catches the flavor you want.

Philosophy 2UU

Enchanment - Rare

Creatures you control can't attack or block. You have no maximum hand size.

Blue noncreature spells you play cost U less to play

At the beginning of your upkeep draw a card.
cdubs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyclical Universe - 5UUUU

Sorcery - Mythic

Each player shuffles his or her hand, graveyard, and permanents into their owners library, then draws 7 cards. Each player's life total becomes 20.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gospel of the Enlightenment 4WW

Instant - Rare

Destroy target non white permanent. Then Search your library for a card called Gospel of the Enlightenment, reveal it and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

We will purge the pagan superstitions of the masses and move into an age of divine theology. - Decree from the Pulpit.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arbiter of Philosophy
3UW
Creature - Human Scholar - Rare
As Arbiter of Philosophy enters the battlefield, each player chooses hedonism or nihilism.
Players who chose hedonism gain 5 life at the beginning of their upkeep.
Players who chose nihilism draw a card at the beginning of their upkeep.
2/5
Thelemys

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sophia, Prisoner of Equity 1UB
Legendary Creature - Human R
Hexproof
If a player would draw a card, each player draw a card instead.
If a player would discard a card, each player discard a card instead.Equality is not Fairness.
0/1

Artist: http://chain_jane.cghub.com/
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sophism - UU
Enchantment - Rare
Whenever a player casts a spell, counter all other spells
Every his word sounds as a reasonable argument

note: proble great flash tech )))
_Godica

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sc4rs I love your card only problem is that hedonism/nihilism isn't really a dichotomy, in fact most nihilists are also hedonists.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goblin Philosophy RR - Enchantment Rare

Whenever an opponent draws a card goblin philosophy deal's 1 damage to that opponent.

'Some cultures have a rich tapestry of philosophies vying for intellectual supremacy. Goblin's have but one philosophy and there is nothing intellectual about it at all.'
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elvish Lore 2UG
Enchantment

Whenever a player casts a spell, counter it unless they draw cards equal to the number of creatures you control
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Godica wrote:
sc4rs I love your card only problem is that hedonism/nihilism isn't really a dichotomy, in fact most nihilists are also hedonists.

I came up with the effect and had a really hard time labeling either as moralism and nobody has heard of extropianism...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2