Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OCTGN

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: OCTGN Reply with quote

I really think people should be looking into this program and using it a lot more than MWS. OCTGN is a multiplatform TCG gaming program. Easier to use, easier to setup, and best of all easier to read over MWS. MWS is old and outdated. Time to upgrade people. OCTGN > MWS!
mazaza

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still doesn't have security codes, so it still won't replace MWS. Pretty simple really.
Livermush

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mws > octgn
Fefestars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It still doesn't have security codes, so it still won't replace MWS. Pretty simple really.

+1
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OCTGN contacted staff back in February, with a view to making OCTGN available for use on Magic-League. I haven't heard from them since March, although I do keep tabs on a mailing list.

I'll touch base with them soon, but the current view I personally have is that should OCTGN be able to be used on Magic-League, MWS users will likely shift across to get away from the bugs.
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MWS is outdated tech period. Impossible to read card images and there is no support for the product other than community support. Octgn doesn't charge a penny for features and is being developed continually. I've been pushing the octgn community to take an interest in magic league to bring the two together. Otherwise I have been working with people to start up its own octgn league. But is rather see the two communities work together to strengthen the free play mtg community as a whole.
Livermush

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priest wrote:
MWS is outdated tech period. Impossible to read card images and there is no support for the product other than community support. Octgn doesn't charge a penny for features and is being developed continually. I've been pushing the octgn community to take an interest in magic league to bring the two together. Otherwise I have been working with people to start up its own octgn league. But is rather see the two communities work together to strengthen the free play mtg community as a whole.

Impossible to read card images?
Don't blame your resolution on MWS.
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My resolution is fine. Bottomline is OCTGN is continually being developed while MWS is outdated tech by 10+ years. While both have their pros and cons OCTGN is the superior product. Time to upgrade boys and girls.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a massive advocate for MWS back in the days when apprentice was the number one program. The big problem with apprentice was as it was open source, and a untraceable cheat program was created for it that a lot of players at the top of the league were blatantly using. (See multiple 50 game winning streaks in apprentice, but somehow winning 2 games in a row was to much to ask on mws.)

I hope OCTGN does not suffer from the same problem, as such a program will only make it much harder for honest talent to get the recognition they deserve in the league and just makes a farce of the league in general and creates a lot of ill will.

The biggest barrier you have got to success in getting the league to change program is, people's fear of change. People stuck to apprentice for a long time despite how basic it was and the cheat program just because they were use to it. Supported technology sounds a lot better than non supported to me and MWS can be buggy sometimes infact I can not get it to work on my laptop! Good luck!
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the beginning and having started out on Apprentice myself I was excited when MWS came to light. I do realize how hard it is to get people to change programs that they are used to, but with a little determination and support from the community OCTGN can be shaped into what the Free Playing Online MTG community needs!

MWS isn't a bad program, I just think it's time has passed. Time to move on and upgrade! Thank you for the words of encouragement!
pg8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone will argue with you, Priest. Problem is, in order for it to be used here it needs text log files and security codes that we can read. Doesn't have those yet. And there was also definitely anti-cheat software in Apprentice Razz
Priest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill talk to the developer of the mtg module and see what we can get done about logs and security codes.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also well known ways around the anti cheat software, ratings of 2200 from the k value events ml were running with not stacked tournaments full of highly rated players. Just look at the tournament ratings now it was pretty obvious what was going on. You would have to be completely stupid not to see it.
Priest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the information and suggestions everyone has handed me! Thanks!
Priest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a six man edh/commander game last night. Worked great!
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2