Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Block Constructed Wars

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Block Constructed Wars Reply with quote

I like Casual games.
For these, I created and work with 6 Highlander decks: 1 of each color and an artifacts-only deck. In those decks, only old-frame cards are played. With the players playing the decks, I continously try to not just improve the decks, but also balance them against each other. Games should be fun, not competitive. Also, games should not be decided by single overpowered cards. I quickly removed Sol Ring and Balance. Amnesia also got axed as it dramatically reduces the enjoyment of a player. These Highlander decks are basically finished, with only minor changes applying to them every month.

My newer project is a number of block constructed decks.
The idea is to play old Block Constructed decks against each other.
So far, I got

Ice Age Block - Necropotence
Mirage Block - ProsperityBloom
Tempest Block - Mono Red Sligh
Urza Block - Mono Green Stompy
Masques Block - Mono White Rebels
Invasion Block - Domain Control
Odyssey Block - UG Madness
Onslaught Block - Mono Black Zombies

As you can see, it's mostly decks that used to be very popular. I admit that Onslaught Block should be been Astral Slide and Invasion should be UWR Midrange, but i decided against them in order to get more even matchups. I mean: How can Astral Slide ever win against ProsBloom? That's also the reason why I took a normal Aggro deck for Urza Block instead of some broken Grim Monolith, Yawgmoth's Bargain stuff.

Now that all old-frame Block Constructed have been built, I look for the newer Block Constructed formats.

For that I thought I'd ask here for ideas of what to build in the new-frame Blocks. I don't mind skipping some cards from the banlist as long as it doesn't make the deck unbelieveably strong (Affinity with all cards^^ vs. ProsBloom without Weatherlight)

What should I build in
Mirrodin Block Constructed
Kamigawa Block Constructed (Gifts Control? Samurai? Ogres?)
Ravnica Block Constructed (UGb Ramp?, Gruul?, ..)
Timespiral Block Constructed (Pickles? MonoRed?)
etc.

Each deck should have at least a winnable matchup against the other older decks.
moscowdemon
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooth and Nail
Ninjas
Gruul
Pickles

Lorwyn - Faeries
Shards - Jund/5cc
Zendikar - green beats
Scars - tempered steel
Innistrad - miracles
Weedmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head...

Mirrodin: Big Red

Kamigawa: Gifts Control seems fine here Smile Not sure what else would be particularly good.

Ravnica: Was on semi-hiatus around this time so no clue.
Time Spiral: Teachings seems fine here if memory serves me right. If not then Monored seems okay.

Lorwyn: FAERIES! (kidding! Merfolk might be good here for variety to avoid doubling up on Monored and Monowhite)

Alara: Jund was by far the most dominant archetype in the format, but if you're worried about turning players off you could try something like Bant.

Zendikar: Oh god, Jace decks. There's a few options though - RUG ramp if you want Jace, Monogreen Stompy, Boros Bushwhacker, Eldrazi Ramp are all good if you don't want Jace.

Scars: Monored, WW or Tezz. I think those were the only three archetypes in the format :/

Innistrad: Naya was the go-to deck in the format. Can't really remember there being anything else.

--

That's it off the top of my head. Probably have missed things though Wink
StarWolf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weedmonkey wrote:

Innistrad: Naya was the go-to deck in the format. Can't really remember there being anything else.

What about the deck that won a pro tour..?
cdubs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIracles!!!!
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirrodin block is a hard one as the format was so warped by affinity, the only deck that really makes sense to me is tooth and nail.

Kami block, I think either gifts or white weenie would be fine

Ravnica block- that helldozer deck or the firemane deck

Time spiral- teachings

Lowyrn - Demigod red (about the only mono red deck I have ever liked)

Alara 5cc control

Zendikar - Eldrazi ramp

Scars Tezz or WW if you do not have ww in kami block

Innistrad not miracles that a horrible mechanic, maybe have bant deck with gesit and spectral flight pilgrim

I think its going to be hard to balance these as some sets are just more powerful than others.
derflippi
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A deck with 4 Geist of Saint Traft + Duals break the budget i set for these decks. Although one deck has 4 Vampiric Tutors, 4 Undiscovered Paradise, I try to keep the decks cost less than 80 Euro each and average at around 50-60 Euro
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the angel of gloryrise reanimator deck then.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Casual or Other Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1