Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is this really the rock ?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people consider GB to be The Rock, some GBw. Mostly, it's the game plan of disruption and defense into a big fat beater that's impossible to deal with.
Scuta04

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ty judicator
Thanik

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The various incarnations of jund play a lot like the original rock deck did imo. Value guys and disruption. The main difference would be that they run a ton more disruption so they can interact better in the early turns instead of ramping into bombs.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the rock with out hand disruption if you ask me. The original GB had therapy and duress,the GBw (which some genius from magic-league pioneered i heard) was the same shell but took advantage of the new ravnica duals plus sakura tribe elder for a strict upgrade on ravenous baloth in loxdon hierarch and improved affinity match up thanks to kataki, combining with living wish to make affinity a virtual bye. Ironically I think the same guy had a hand in the original affinity deck also, so knew what it took to beat it.

There have been GBr versions with kavu(FTK), destructive flow, before jund was a thing. Then the recent jund menance.

Incremental value disruption and midrange guys equals rock.
Thanik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabal therapy wasn't released until the rock deck had been around for years. The only early disruption in the rock was 4 duress. You couldn't really start messing with them until turn 4 or later. Before that you just ramped and got value with combat damage on the stack.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong the first incarnation of the rock deck was, during urzas time featuring derranged hermit and phyrexian plaguelord plus cabal therapy which was printed beforehand in odesysey block. Therapy is probably the most defining card of the rock. Duress was not printed until after therapy in Urza's block lol get your facts straight.
Thanik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odyssey came out years after urza block.
Scuta04

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah greenbear your semi right, semi high... the original rock was def with plaguelord.. but therapy is in odyssey but once it had therapy it was much more dominated by pernicious deed with white splash for vindicate and the gerrardy discard spell for BW
Thanik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post apocalypse rock deck (with gerrards verdict and pernicious deed) had spiritmongers instead of plaguelords, because plaguelord was no longer type 2 legal. There were extended versions though, maybe therapy sat beside plaguelord in one of those.

This was basically an entirely different style of deck btw. Originally you just wanted to ramp out, force a plaguelord through with duress, and threaten to sac your value guys and mana dorks either before damage or with it on the stack, making combat impossible. With apocalypse it became more about the early disruption.

The spiritmonger version was also a pretty bad call at the time, because the nosis deck spent the whole year dominating everything that played creatures. That was the beginning of the end for drawgo, just like academy was the end for type 2 combos. There was honestly no reason to play odyssey block cards until invasion block rotated. Tog was terrible against nosis, but everyone played it anyway, probably because they were sick of game 1 going to time whenever they got a ghitu fire countered Razz
GreenBear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird the last deck i ever built had wild mongrels in it before I took a break and did not come back till mirrodin(original) but I'm certain I also missed all urzas block, because all of us as a group regretted it as there were loads of cool combo decks and busted cards. I must have come back sometime in 2001 i was high then but certainly not now.
Scuta04

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

urzas, masques, invasion, odyssey, onslaught
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.magic-league.com/deck/80530/standard_t2.html#The Rock3152

This is quite close to the rock I would not classify it as the rock but a hybrid of it with out the discard but there really is no need for it in t2 anymore as combo does not exist.
Yavimaya73

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought that "the Rock" referred to one creature that defined the deck and the rest of the deck was utility and disruption of hand or creatures. I do recall the Plaguelord and Hermit starting this, but I really thought that "the Rock" didnt solidify as a powerhouse till Spiritmonger came into the scene and Pernicious Deed. And This was the first set to introduce a decent dual land since the original duals via painlands that also had enemy colors available. I could be wrong and probably am
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1