Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CaC 185 -- unconventional costs (JUDGED!)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
_Godica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: CaC 185 -- unconventional costs (JUDGED!) Reply with quote

Thanks for the judging Balaviaris!

For this CaC I'd like to see a card with an activated ability that has an "unconventional" activation cost. To clarify, the types of cost I consider "conventional" are 1) paying life, 2) paying mana, 3) tapping things, and 4) sacrificing things. An "unconventional" cost may include one or more of these (e.g. Grim Lavamancer), but can't just be a combination of them.

I hope its clear what I'm looking for, if anyone could use clarification just ask and I'll do my best to answer. I'll judge based on creativity, how appropriate the cost is for the effect, and of course reasonable power level. I'll try to judge Saturday evening, but may have to wait until Sunday.[/b]

Last edited by _Godica on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Livermush

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teysa, Ascended | 1WB
Planeswalker - Teysa (Mythic)

Whenever loyalty counters are added to Teysa, Ascended, target opponent gains that much life. Whenever loyalty counters are removed from Teysa, Ascended, target opponent loses that much life.

+3: Exile target creature

-1: Exile target creature in your graveyard, put a 1/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield.

//2

_Godica wrote:
Some people seem to have misinterpreted this. I meant for the unconventional cost to apply to an activated ability, not the spell itself.

I've edited my original post to emphasize this.

My bad.

This new one brings Teysa into the ranks of the Planeswalkers and her abilities are basically paid for with your opponent's life (by either gaining him life or making him lose it).

As you'll notice, she has no ultimate ability, but being a 3-mana enchantment that can exile a creature per turn seems good, imo.

Also, she can't be removed by combat damage or spells...

Edit 2: Set her default loyalty to 3, so it still punishes you for attacking it while not being unremovable by damage.

Last edited by Livermush on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:02 pm; edited 5 times in total
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zalef, the Mana Trader 2RU

Legendary Creature - Human Wizard Mythic

Counter a spell you control: Counter target spell.

“-It is said that a fair bargain leaves both sides unhappy. I've yet to see Zalef unhappy.”

2/2
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter's Season 2G

Enchantment [Uncommon]

Exile a land you control: Target creature you control fights another target creature you don't control.

As we carved roads and paths over the hills and through the lands, the animals became increasingly easier to track.

---------

I guess the flavor of this kind of card would come from some sort of "Frontier" block/set, where the people are exploring the untamed world around them and taming it.

The reason it's Exile instead of sacrifice is because once you've paved over a section of earth with roads and towns, it's hard for nature to reclaim that or for it to still be usable.
Strid3r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooze Swamp 2BG

Enchantment - Uncommon

Put two -1/-1 counters on a creature you control with thoughness 2 or more: Put a 1/1 black and green Ooze creature token onto the battlefield.

"Death is just a part of natural cycle." - Elf of Deep Shadow

Last edited by Strid3r on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Domine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethereal Angel - 3UW

Creature - Angel

Flying

Return Ethereal Angel to your hand: You gain 3 life

3/3

Uncommon.

Great finisher for a control deck, as it is almost unkillable, the cost is a benefit and you also get some life.
Kuberr
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rushwood Invigorator - 2G

Creature - Spellshaper

Each opponent gains 3 life, T: Target creature gets +4/+4 until end of turn. Activate this ability only any time you could play a sorcery.

2/2
sc4rs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitterness Blade
Artifact - Rare
Sacrifice a creature: Bitterness Blade gains all colors of the sacrificed creature.
Remove a color from Bitterness Blade: Destroy target creature of the removed color.
Only more blood can wash it clean.

Something I've been thinking about a lot lately is a set where changing something's color matters a lot more (i.e. a set where you could reprint Chaoslace, Purelace, etc. and have them maybe not suck as bad). This is one idea in that vein.
MagusGee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masochism
1BB

Enchantment

Your opponent deal 1 damage to up to X target creatures or players : Put X Pain counters on ~. Play this ability only once a turn, and only when you could play a sorcery. X Can be no greater than 5.

Remove X Pain counters from Masochism : Put a colorless X/X Ooze token on to the battlefield. Play this ability only once each turn.

I made sure that you could pop an ooze out if you needed on your opponents turn. Interesting, I think x3

Last edited by MagusGee on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implements of Ritual 1

Artifact - Mythic

1, T, Shuffle a card from your hand into your library: Choose a card you own from outside the game, reveal that card and then put it into your graveyard.

“And there I witnessed an ancient ritual with a mask and urn...” - Last words of Ali Ibn’s Occidental expedition journal.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusGee wrote:
Masochism
1BB

Enchantment

Your opponent deal 1 damage to up to X target creatures or players : Put X Pain counters on ~. Play this ability only once a turn, and only when you could play a sorcery.

Remove X Pain counters from Masochism : Put a colorless X/X Ooze token on to the battlefield. Play this ability only once each turn.

I made sure that you could pop an ooze out if you needed on your opponents turn. Interesting, I think x3

Did you notice that this is ridiculously broken? I let you deal 1 damage to a million different targets: I make a 1000000/1000000 Ooze in your next end step.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evasive Mastermind 1U

Creature - Vedalken Wizard (rare)

U, T, Exile two or more target spells: Draw a card for each spell exiled this way.

2/1

Last edited by pseudodespot on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:19 am; edited 6 times in total
iSperia
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alarm Wake - 1RW
Instant - uncommon
As an additional cost to play Alarm Wake, untap three tapped creatures you control. Creatures you control get +1/+0 and first strike untill the end of turn.
"Alaaaaarm!" is the melody boros soldiers wake up with
_Godica

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people seem to have misinterpreted this. I meant for the unconventional cost to apply to an activated ability, not the spell itself.

I've edited my original post to emphasize this.
Thelemys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Creeping Fungus 3GGG
Legendary Creature - Fungus R
Return a land you control into your hand: regenerate Creeping Fungus.
As long as you control Creeping Fungus, you can't play lands and opponents can't play lands if they control more lands than you.
4/4
It's my green version of Realm Razer, I think with a full green it may be more interesting.
Art source: http://voyeursmiiind.deviantart.com/art/Hoia-Baciu-188550317

Last edited by Thelemys on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2