Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B/U/W Millgro

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Mrrr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: B/U/W Millgro Reply with quote

Sooooooo this came out of an attempt to build a mindcrank combo deck. Then it turned out the beats are sicker and duskmantle is also very awesome when it doesn't do infinite but just 10 (or 13).

Anyways, I believe this deck is good and that's why I reckoned I'd share it with you. (feel free to comment)

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [RAV] Watery Grave
1 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
3 [TSP] Swamp (3)
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
1 [ISD] Nephalia Drownyard
2 [WWK] Creeping Tar Pit
2 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
3 [SOM] Island (1)
1 [M11] Plains (3)
2 [GP] Godless Shrine

// Creatures
4 [GTC] Wight of Precinct Six
4 [M13] Jace's Phantasm
4 [GTC] Duskmantle Guildmage
3 [ISD] Snapcaster Mage
4 [RTR] Deathrite Shaman

// Spells
4 [RAV] Glimpse the Unthinkable
4 [DKA] Thought Scour
3 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
2 [ZEN] Archive Trap
1 [ARB] Mind Funeral
2 [GTC] Orzhov Charm
3 [CFX] Path to Exile

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
SB: 2 [DKA] Grafdigger's Cage
SB: 3 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 2 [M11] Negate
SB: 3 [SOK] Kataki, War's Wage
SB: 4 [PLC] Extirpate
StarWolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is posted in the wrong section :p

Is white really necessary?
Mrrr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. But path works with archive trap and orzhov (apart from being an STP) returns a 5/5 flyer to the battelfield at eot. Hence the white. Previous versions did not have white, just testing a bit. Thing is I think the concept has potential. Just needs some work
_Godica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with "millgro" is that it has two plans to win that do not synergize at all. Either you're winning by mill and your creatures were all dead draws, or you're winning with beatdown and your mill cards are dead.

Sure, milling to make phantasm and wight fat seems appealing, but it's just not as good as, for example, targeted discards to make tarmogoyf fat. And whereas turn 1 inquisition into turn 2 goyf is a great opening in almost any situation, turn 1 phantasm into turn 2 glimpse is basically two wasted turns if your opponent has a removal spell.
Mrrr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The problem with "millgro" is that it has two plans to win that do not synergize at all.'

There is really just one strategy here and the beaters and the milling are entirely synergetic. The more you mill the fatter your creatures are. The creatures get there first, mill serves to fuel that approach. Reckon only a serious control opponent would be millable.

Also, glimpse isn't an aura so well if your turn 1 phantasm is exiled you will find another that will still benefit from the milled cards. Gives fuel to more whights, phantasms and shamans.

But anyways. Like I'm quite there's a 'solution' in here somewhere, in one form or another. Merely saying the general idea sucks doesn't really add anything.

I considered running green for Goyfs, the 3rd colour is open still.
_Godica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to say it just sucks, sorry if it came across that way. I love seeing people building creative new decks.

That being said, one of the questions you have to ask yourself when creating a deck is "can this compete with the popular decks in the format?" I count 8 beaters in your deck, all of which die to terminate, abrupt decay, path to exile, go for the throat, and lightning bolt if you play them too early. That doesn't seem like good odds to me. Not to mention you have no answer to a post-board ensnaring bridge, leyline of sanctity, or relic of progenitus/rest in peace/etc.

Likewise, whereas a card like Honor the Pure makes almost every card in its deck better, your mill spells only make 8 creatures better. If you only draw two of those, and your opponent has two removal spells, those mill spells are totally wasted (since like you said, this deck likely doesn't win most matchups by milling).

These seem to me like problems that should be addressed if you want this deck to be as good as it can be.
BIRDYYY

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely love this idea of using mill cards as pump spells. Id like to see this tested/tweaked alottt more. <3
Mrrr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Godica wrote:
I don't mean to say it just sucks, sorry if it came across that way. I love seeing people building creative new decks.

That being said, one of the questions you have to ask yourself when creating a deck is "can this compete with the popular decks in the format?" I count 8 beaters in your deck, all of which die to terminate, abrupt decay, path to exile, go for the throat, and lightning bolt if you play them too early. That doesn't seem like good odds to me. Not to mention you have no answer to a post-board ensnaring bridge, leyline of sanctity, or relic of progenitus/rest in peace/etc.

Likewise, whereas a card like Honor the Pure makes almost every card in its deck better, your mill spells only make 8 creatures better. If you only draw two of those, and ointyour opponent has two removal spells, those mill spells are totally wasted (since like you said, this deck likely doesn't win most matchups by milling).

These seem to me like problems that should be addressed if you want this deck to be as good as it can be.

Sorry for mistaking you for a troll Smile
Yes, thats a valid point. Deck feels like it would need another cheap threat. Not sure Tarmo does it, perhaps delver does. I feel like sticking with the duskmantle's because the pose such a threat. Opponent will try to burn them/play around them as much as humanly possible.Which to me means they are decent.Anyways I'm going to try and find a way in which to make the mill do more than pump my guys. thanks for the comments Smile
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1