Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WUR Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: WUR Control Reply with quote

For anyone who follows my articles its no surprise that I am a control player. Now the release of gatecrash was a dark day for those of us who want to stay out of red zone for as long as possible, maybe drop one huge fatty here or there. Boros is too, quick too efficient, and can blow us out with skullcrack. I thought it was over for my control fetish until....I thought struck me, all the green cards in bant control are bad now. They were incredible in the slower format that lacked skullcrack but now they are just too slow and clumsy. Then when we look at red, I realized Izzit charm is incredibly right now. Seriously think about it, its insane! First off it fills the most important role for control decks right now, 2 cmc instant speed removal. If that's not enough it can pull double duty as a more expensive spell pierce AND (because those two just aren't good enough for a 2 cmc spell) if it really is dead, it can turn into card filtering which is especially helpful if you find yourself in a control mirror and you have a bunch of dead wraths in your hand.

The other thing you pick up with red is searing spear which is just another good 2 mana removal spell that gets you to the late game.

I think now is a good time for the list

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [ISD] Clifftop Retreat
3 [RTR] Hallowed Fountain
4 [M13] Glacial Fortress
3 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
4 [ISD] Sulfur Falls
4 [RTR] Steam Vents
3 [GTC] Sacred Foundry

// Creatures
1 [DKA] Drogskol Reaver
1 [AVR] Gisela, Blade of Goldnight

// Spells
3 [RTR] Azorius Charm
3 [GTC] Blind Obedience
3 [RTR] Detention Sphere
1 [M13] Elixir of Immortality
4 [RTR] Izzet Charm
4 [RTR] Jace, Architect of Thought
4 [RTR] Sphinx's Revelation
4 [RTR] Supreme Verdict
3 [AVR] Terminus
3 [M13] Searing Spear
1 [GTC] Aurelia's Fury

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [DKA] Curse of Echoes
SB: 1 [ISD] Witchbane Orb
SB: 4 [RTR] Counterflux
SB: 1 [GTC] Aurelia's Fury
SB: 1 [M13] Staff of Nin
SB: 3 [GTC] Glaring Spotlight
SB: 3 [DKA] Grafdigger's Cage

lands:

3 ghost quarters: these are the only utillity lands. There are a lot of lands that you do not want to have to deal with, in particular drownyard. Also with all 10 shock lands available, these are very often just strip mine which as you know is too good for legacy.

creatures:

1 drogskol reaver: There isn't much removal (that is being played right now) that deals with a resolved reaver. There is the new edict but that's it. When this resolves though it is soooooooooooo hard to beat. Back in the old format he wasn't so good because people were playing more of a midrange game, so you would usually tap out for him hoping to stabalize and your opponent would kill him and then kill you, so you needed thragtusks instant life gain. Now though you don't have to worry so much about him getting killed so he is a lot better.

1 Gissela: She's much better then I originally thought, mostly because the magic number right now for all these aggro decks is 3, everything does 3 damage and gissela is one of those rare cards that rounds up with half damage prevention so all those 1s do no damage and 3s do 1 damage which is pathetic, on the flip side, gissela is swinging in the air for 10. I remember a game where my opponent dropped a desecration demon, normally a HUGE flyer and I dropped Gissela and made it look stupid. This is another good addition from red.

spells:

4 Izzet Charm: The main reason to go red. All the reasons for this card are explained above. It's incredibly good right now.

3 Azorious Charm: Another 2 mana removal spell that doubles as a cantrip if your late in the game or if your up against another slow deck. The last mode is next to worthless. One thing I would like to point out that may not be obvious to even some very experienced players is DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF PUTTING SOMETHING ON TOP OF YOUR OPPONENTS LIBRARY!!!! Boomerang is good. This is boomerand + your opponent skips his draw step. Late in the game this effect often becomes identical to time walk. Back in the bant version this would often seal the game for me when I swung with my beasts, my opponent made a block and I would eliminate his possibility to top deck. That will not come up often in this deck, but you take away a HUGE amount of tempo from your opponent when you do this.

3 Searing Spear: more 2 mana removal to handle the fast guys, hits pretty much everything under 4 mana, also hits planswalkers every now and then as well.

3 Blind Obedience: The answer to all the hast, also the extort actually adds up a lot, enough so to even be a win condition. although not your preferred route to victory it's not a bad one. I've definitely drained an opponent out from 20 before.

3 Detention Sphere: general all around removal, Handles everything that can be hit at sorcery speed and is a 2/3 for one every now and then.

4 supreme verdict/3 terminus: 7 wraths generate a lot of card advantage in a format that revolves around the red zone. Also terminus can deal with a lot of things that verdict can't such as regenerators, undying creatures, indestructible creatures and gravecrawler.

1 Auriels Furry: mostly just wanted a fireball to deal the final blow after I've drained a lot with obediance. It also deals with planeswalkers from opposing control decks.

4 Jace, Architect: Jace's + abillity is much better now then it used to be since people are swarming the battlefield. This also makes him a target for your opponents creatures. Remember the longer they attack jace the longer they aren't attacking your life points. This gives you the crucial turns you need to wipe the board.

4 sphixes revelation: how much can I say about this card that has not already been said. Generates overwhelming card advantage and gets your life total out of burn range. taking a skullcrack isnt as bad anymore because you have obediance to get your life up.

1 Elixir of Immortality: Gains a lot of life and recylces all that removal and revelations. This is also an out against mill style control as well.

The SB is still in the works (especially considering how new the format is) so I'm not going to discuss it here since it needs more work. Anyways thoughts comments as always are welcome.
Livermush

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get rid of the ghost quarters in your mana base.
Halldir

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont you think about one tamyo? it works very well with obedience and can do alot vs many decks...
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deck mostly seems fine but I agree about dropping a few ghost quarters, as your mana is a little shacky as it stands.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're just playing Searing Spear for the creature kill to get you to the late game, why not play Burning Oil instead? The card advantage it gives you is a big advantage and it's not like you need the reach of 3 to them in a deck like this.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 red sources, 15 blue sources, 14 white sources....the mana base is FAR from shaky (although I do need to swap out one steam vent for a hallowed fountain). One idea that this makes me think about though is to cut one from the main and put one in the side for the control MU then board up to 26 lands. That might be a good idea

Been thinking about good old tamiyo, the problem is she's expensive and that is killer in a format where boros is this good. She may earn herself a slot in the side though.

as for burning oil, I want to be able to hit creatures that aren't in the red zone as well or stop a hellrider from hitting me, or have ways to deal with planeswalkers.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sorry your right, I miss counted had you at 11,11,13 somehow I even counted twice! I only counted as an after thought because I was certain your mana would be fine. Must have been half asleep whilst counting. And I've always been a fan of siding in land for control matches.

In an all aggro format. I would be really happy to play this deck.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1