Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bloodbraid Elf and Seething Song banned

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern

Do you like this change?
Yes! I like it!
54%
 54%  [ 12 ]
No! I don't like it!
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
I'm not sure if I like it or not
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
It doesn't affect me in any way
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Ssilhouette

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Bloodbraid Elf and Seething Song banned Reply with quote

Thats right! Bloodbraid Elf and Seething Song banned on Modern!

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/232

I was really shocked myself, and smiled quite a bunch after reading that, since I didn't like the "fairness" of Jund.

What are your thoughts on that change?
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elf: Yeah I like it - I think everybody knew Cascade was a stupid mechanic that would ultimately lead to degeneracy.

Seething Song: No need to ban it...its just a cog
pg8

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little irritated by the Seething Song ban, but I'm so excited about BBE being out that I don't even care.
Kabelis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you guys think jund will still be around and just replace those 4 slots with something else?
I don't think banning a 4 CMC card (as powerful as it was) is enough to completely get rid of the deck, but I'm wondering if people's perception of deck's power level will change enough that its metagame % will drop.
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While losing Elf is bad news for Jund, since that card was the top of their curve, and for all intents and purposes, was the only way it could grind through a lot of the Control/Tempo decks, the combination of cards in R/G/B are still too good. Between Decays, Shamans, Dark Confidants, Lilianas, 'Goyfs, and Bolts, it still has a lot of tools.

Simply replacing Elf with Huntmaster or Olivia doesn't seem very good to me, though. What the deck CAN do is go really over the top greedy and go all in on adding a 4th Color. Lingering Souls already showed that it could function well in the deck, so whichever way it goes, the deck hasn't been completely crippled.
EMA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with the bannings, they make sense to me.
Duodax

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace bb elf with other powerful 4cc drops / ppl will complain again mimimi /thread
GreenBear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think anyone will miss bloodbraid elf, absurd card. Seething song??? why??? exactly what problem had that been causing the format.
EMA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually surprised second sunrise wasn't banned, doesn't the deck go off on turn 3 with reshape into lotus bloom?
Ssilhouette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I can cite at least 10 decks that go off with a combination of 4-5 cards on turn 3. I don't think its really a problem as it doesn't come up that often.
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seething Song went because it was the most powerful ritual in the Storm deck (especially with Electromancer), and the Storm deck is much more popular on MODO than Eggs.
Spyx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If more people actually played eggs they would snap ban lotus bloom.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The banning of BBE will make Jace continuing to sit on the sidelines. Let's face it, Jace was just not as broken in ALA/ZEN standard because of another broken mechanic keeping him in check.
That being said, lets see how much of a drop jund will have to go through. My guess in the long run will be 100%. The deck is dead. The only interesting thing is how long it will take the people to find out.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really doubt the deck will die of, it lost its most powerful card but still has all the same tools that made it successful before. Hand disruption, for combo efficient removal for aggro and bbe itself gave control fits. Hopefully the banning of bbe will allow a control deck to rise to tier 1.

Jund with out bbe is like barcelona with out messi, they may have lost something truly spectacular but its not like any of the other players/cards are bad so all the ingredients for sucess are still there its just a bit more of an even fight.
EMA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well, I can cite at least 10 decks that go off with a combination of 4-5 cards on turn 3. I don't think its really a problem as it doesn't come up that often.

Reshape on artifact land into lotus bloom into second sunrise does come up at least as often as storm going off on turn 3, so if they ban seething song, I don't see why second sunrise can stay...
I guess it's just because the deck is so annoying to play (on MODO more than ever) that it's not showing up in great numbers, but still..
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2