Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Junk Spirits

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
Ssilhouette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Junk Spirits Reply with quote

So, since apparently jund spirits is a thing, I tried to brew this concoction that gives up on the red for consistency and townships, basically. not sure if giving up on bbe is right, but, take a look at the list, shall we?

// Lands
1 [AVR] Cavern of Souls
4 [ZEN] Verdant Catacombs
4 [ZEN] Marsh Flats
2 [RAV] Temple Garden
2 [GP] Godless Shrine
1 [RAV] Overgrown Tomb
1 [7E] Swamp (3)
1 [CHK] Forest (2)
1 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
1 [HOP] Plains (1)
1 [PLC] Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
3 [ISD] Gavony Township
1 [WWK] Stirring Wildwood

// Creatures
4 [RTR] Deathrite Shaman
3 [LRW] Doran, the Siege Tower
4 [FUT] Tarmogoyf
4 [RTR] Loxodon Smiter
4 [RAV] Dark Confidant
1 [TSP] Scryb Ranger
1 [MBS] Hero of Bladehold

// Spells
4 [DKA] Lingering Souls
3 [LRW] Thoughtseize
3 [ROE] Inquisition of Kozilek
2 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
2 [CFX] Path to Exile
1 [ARB] Zealous Persecution

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Hero of Bladehold
SB: 1 [CFX] Path to Exile
SB: 1 [ARB] Zealous Persecution
SB: 1 [ARB] Maelstrom Pulse
SB: 1 [DS] Sword of Fire and Ice
SB: 1 [M12] Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 [LRW] Gaddock Teeg
SB: 1 [NPH] Batterskull
SB: 1 [MR] Rule of Law
SB: 3 [ISD] Stony Silence
SB: 2 [FUT] Aven Mindcensor

Right, pretty straightforward, isn't it? It plays Deathrite Shaman, it plays Doran and Loxodon Smiter for beating (which is better than any non-Tarmogoyf from jund), and it plays Tarmogoyf!

It plays disruption and Lingering Souls. Also, a Hero of Bladehold that wins games if unanswered for 2 turns. Plays Path to Exile (which is arguably better than bolt for the most part).

But why this over jund? Thats a good question. I guess not having lilianas can be detrimental, and I'm experimenting this without them for now, but it may be just plain wrong to not play lilianas.

Swords are awesome too against jund.

Some neat interactions on the deck:
Scryb Ranger is a beast. It gives you 1 additional mana if you dont have a land drop for the turn. It gives you another shaman activation. It stomps blue cards. It untaps Doran.
Maybe its right to put 1 more Ranger MD, but I'm not sure. Ranger activates Deathrite Shaman 3 times on a turn cycle, if you have the lands to do so. IT IS A BEAST!

Cavern naming Shaman gets Doran and Deathrite covered.

Sideboard: I'm not sure about anything here, tbh. But Teeg gets jobs done, and most of the things there are... experimental, I'd say.

So, thoughts?
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me this is just much worse than jund, the removal is inferior, lilianna will not be much good in your deck if you did play it except vs some combo decks, as you need a certain amount of cheap efficient removal in the main deck to make it a true power house.

Not only is your removal inferior but by losing the ability to play lilliana and bloodbraid elf, you lose some of the best ways of grinding out card advantage.

What you seem to replace these loses with, is a lot of vanilla big fatties, that do not really contribute much but size. I don't see why you want to play gavony township, sure it works nice with lingering souls, but what match up is this actually drastically improving that was bad before? Combo is to fast, the aggro decks of the format are similarly to fast, the township plan feels to slow for the format.

The deck is not badly built of anything, curve is fine, your mana is good enough to be competitive but could be better, as you have over skewed towards white when there is a need for the black discard spells early.

Do you really feel that larger guys and a slow pump effect are better for the modern meta, than an efficient and powerful removal suite and more ways of grinding card advantage?
Ssilhouette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was some useful piece of advice. the vanilla creatures indeed seem to be a problem, i guess. the deck was trying to get tuned to beat jund, and i think it has a shot at it (i may be proven wrong, ofc)

i just lost in the trial against a scapeshift deck, even with all the sb package to beat it, so, yeah, the deck needs a significant amount of tuning.
thanks for the feedback, greenbear!
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome.

You set yourself a very hard task in revamping jund when it has been refined and honed probably more than any deck in modern. Your probably better just tweaking it for whatever meta you see, the swords you added maybe a good addition, in a heavy jund meta.
BIRDYYY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont hate this idea, just needs to be tweaked.
GDP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why Feast and Famine over Light and Shadow?

Also really light on removal. I would add another Path and 2 Decays or something.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1