Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lagacy Decks: Tier decks, and format defining decks

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks
Jtos84

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Lagacy Decks: Tier decks, and format defining decks Reply with quote

I wanted to make this post, so that anyone who wants to start playing legacy can look up a deck and download it instead of jumping in with a deck that might not cut it.

Decks to Beat
RUG Delver
Miracles
Merfolk
Goblins
Maverick
Ichorid
Reanimator
Show and Tell
Deadguy Ale
Death Shadow
Walking Dead
Ichorid
Doomsday
Tendrils
Elves
Burn
Natural Order Decks
Zoo
Belcher
Stoneblade

You can also look up tournamet reports, and anything in the top 16 of large tounraments will probably be a good deck. I would also recomend studying the rules, and learning the stack because it is hard to be very successful without that knoweldge. There is a judge channel for rules questions also.
Spyx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lagacy Decks: Tier decks, and format defining decks Reply with quote

Jtos84 wrote:

Deadguy Ale
Death Shadow
Doomsday
Natural Order Decks
Zoo

These decks see so little play that I would not classify them as 'decks to beat'.
Steveman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how Ichorid was listed twice
Jtos84

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: My bad Reply with quote

Did I list Ichorid twice? Deadguy Ale won two trials here recently I think. I'm not saying all of those decks are the best, but I type 2 deck will probably not cut. I would think these decks would be hard to beat with a self made deck with little testing also. Do you guys have any recomendations for goods decks for new legacy players? Also did you see how I spelled legacy
pg8

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think RUG, Show and Tell / Omni Variant, Miracles, Stoneblade, and Maverick are pretty much the "decks to beat". The rest are more like tier 2. Burn, Zombies, Doomsday, Natural Order, Zoo, and Belcher are hardly even tier 2.
kane2

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pg8 wrote:
I think RUG, Show and Tell / Omni Variant, Miracles, Stoneblade, and Maverick are pretty much the "decks to beat". The rest are more like tier 2. Burn, Zombies, Doomsday, Natural Order, Zoo, and Belcher are hardly even tier 2.

A good Burn player could make it tier 1.. I remember completely destroying the Vintage players back in the day with Burn.. You just have to know how to play the deck to the different situations and adjust accordingly.

Edit: Then again.. I destroyed them no matter what I played.. I ran my decks unpowered too Cool
Akatsuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After M13, these are the decks that have Top 8'd the most large tournaments (I define that as 129+) according to MTGDecks.net

1. UW/x Miracle - 17
2. RUG Delver - 16
3. GW/x Maverick - 14
3. UW/x Blade Control - 14
5. Dredge - 8
6. R/x Goblins - 6
7. UB/x Storm - 4
8. UR/x Omni-Tell - 3
8. GR Belcher - 3
8. U Merfolk - 3

You're welcome. Laughing

BTW, I define miracle as any deck with CounterTop. So there are "Miracle" decks with SFM that I do not classify as "Blade Control".

It's interesting to note that Show and Tell is not doing well at all, in terms of Top 8 finishes. I'm a Show and Tell player, and I'm happy about this. I'm sure that if Show and Tell becomes dominant, then it'll get hit by the banhammer, which will instantly make my 4 $50 pieces of cardboard worth a lot less. If you saw Max Tietze's game against Omni-Tell, it was pretty awesome when his opp flipped an Omniscience and Max flipped Angel of Despair, after a resolved S&T. There are so many tools out there to make S&T strategies miserable.

One final thing to note is these are just Top 8's and say nothing about how much the deck was played and its win percentage.
Jtos84

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Decks you need to be able to beat Reply with quote

I was just hoping to make a quick post for new players, so that they could see the types of decks played. It looks like a bunch of veteran players have some input as well. I just wanted to anyone who begins paying legacy to see what decks they will more than likely need to be capable of beating. You can say that this deck, or deck that deck is not even tier two, but when you fail to compensate for decks like enchantress, or stacks, or just do not know how belcher wins then you probably have made an error somewhere.

If I were going to make a list of tier one and two decks, I would have just made reference to someones tournament report. If you don't think that veteran players need to be able to beat those decks anymore just post your reasons why.
pg8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kane2 wrote:
pg8 wrote:

A good Burn player could make it tier 1.. I remember completely destroying the Vintage players back in the day with Burn.. You just have to know how to play the deck to the different situations and adjust accordingly.

Edit: Then again.. I destroyed them no matter what I played.. I ran my decks unpowered too Cool

I'm not really sure why this makes it a good deck.
kane2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pg8 wrote:
kane2 wrote:
pg8 wrote:

I'm not really sure why this makes it a good deck.

Because with the right pilot it can beat most decks.
magicrichi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kane2 wrote:

do you know the meaning of tier?
being tier1 doesnt means is the one of the best decks, it means is one of the most played decks. Usually if a deck is the most played will be easy to see it making tops
kane2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicrichi wrote:
kane2 wrote:

do you know the meaning of tier?
being tier1 doesnt means is the one of the best decks, it means is one of the most played decks. Usually if a deck is the most played will be easy to see it making tops

Yes I know the meaning of tier. My point is that most people don't understand the deck enough therefore not enough play it. If more understood the intricacies of it then it would be played more. The only deck that the current meta has that completely dominates burn is the Show and Tell deck.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1