Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAC 137.5 Judged

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: CAC 137.5 Judged Reply with quote

CMA Flippi -
Quote:
Wood Bear - 1G
Creature - Bear
2/2
Raaaaawrrrr..

This fulfills the challenge, and is definitely not a broken card. The flavor text is nice. I think it lacks a little bit in originality, and is certainly underpowered for the current Wizards printing - see Timberpack Wolf for an example.

Razz

2/5 Playable, 4/5 Printable, 0/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score 11/20

LuckyDucky -
Quote:
Soul Jar - 4BB
Artifact - Rare
4BB: Exile a creature.
We are praying now for the repose of his soul. Hoping you're well and not in hell. Nice change of air. Out of the frying pan of life into the fire of purgatory.

Clever use of a Joyce quote, and the idea of the card is neat. I'm not sure Wizards would ever print it, though, just because targeting is how you choose things in Magic, and it's never been circumvented like this before. I'm a little hesitant to call it underpowered, because it certainly is a unique effect and a powerful one to deal with untargetables, but I think ultimately it would only see very rare play in EDH formats because of the prohibitive cost. Originality-wise, the effect is new but the body and cost is very reminiscent of Legacy Weapon, which is my only complaint about originality.
3/5 Playable, 3/5 Printable, 4.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score 15.5/20

Pokemaster-
Quote:
Purify the World - 2WW
Sorcery
Destroy all creatures with abilities.
It is time to return to primitive ways of fighting.

A very good submission. Fulfills the challenge, though it does something that Wizards already does (print alternative Day of Judgement effects at 2WW that leave certain creatures alive) but in a very unique and flavorful way. The flavor text leaves a bit to be desired, but the effect is amazing in a token deck or just a deck running Elite Vanguards and their ilk. A very cool card.

5/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 4/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score 19/20

archmage521

Quote:
The keeper WW (rare)
creature-human cleric
1/1
creatures can't attack.

"The hardest wars to win are the ones never fought"

This is basically Peacekeeper (which already sees Legacy play sometimes) except better/more broken.
5/5 Playable, 0/5 Printable, 0/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score 10/20

ShamedShadow

Quote:
Revered Compere - XXWW

Creature - Human Advisor [Rare]

Each spell costs X more to cast.

The reviews he gives are well worth the price.

2/2

As was mentioned in the thread, not having any counters or any way to keep track of how much "X" is makes this really hard to play with, and adding that much text would really sink the score of this card anyway. The idea is a good one and the power level seems about right, and it's especially nice that you can use it to curve out as a WW 2/2 if you really want to. Unfortunately for the challenge it doesn't quite work. I don't really like the name or flavor text very much.

5/5 Playable, 0/5 Printable, 3.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge (or 5/5 Printable, 0/5 Challenge, if I change it to include counters) - Total Score - 13.5/20

GunsAndDope

Quote:
Azure Bin Gamba Deroth, Magician of the Blue Veil, Herald of the Second Dawn, Master of Eschatology, and Apprentice to Jace | 1U
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (Rare)

When Azure Bin Gamba Deroth, Magician of the Blue Veil, Herald of the Second Dawn, Master of Eschatology, and Apprentice to Jace enters the battlefield, proliferate.

2/3

"We just call him Bob for short".
- Jace

I'm not sure how a CIP Proliferate creature didn't get made during Mirrodin block, but there you go. Definitely original. It's also, unfortunately, definitely overpowered. All of the proliferate spells were severely overcosted for their ability, and a 1U 2/3, even if legendary, is definitely too good to tack Proliferate onto. Legacy decks would go nuts with this and Karakas, as well - I'm almost positive the interaction between those too would fuel some degenerate JTMS shenanigans in Legacy. Twisting the challenge after I said you could count the name as one word was clever and I applaud your efforts to subvert the rules and to make me laugh - you succeeded.

5/5 Playable, 1.5/5 Printable, 5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 16.5/20

Bairdsy

Quote:

This is neat. There are no repeatable effects like this that actually can target your opponent, as far as I can tell - the only things I found are like Madblind Mountain and can only shuffle your own library. From messing with opponents stacking to taking advantage of your own Brainstorms, it seems like a pretty decent effect. Ultimately, though, I think it doesn't effect the game enough to see play except in really specific marginal cases - it's probably a sideboard card at best. The flavor is awesome though. Very close to a contender, but just a bit underpowered.

3.5/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 18.5/20

Duodax

Quote:
Assert Will 1UB

Instant UC

Exile target spell.

This is a very smooth card. It's right up my alley. It's cost correctly, if a bit generously (I think UUB might've been more appropriate for its power level) but it's a great idea. Unfortunately, I think that power-level wise, at this point in time in the game, it's basically a Dissipate. Cavern of Souls and Thrun are really the only two recent cards that this would interact with, and I don't know that that's enough to make it playable. In Modern/Legacy, I think it's just too expensive to be useful. It sort of falls in an in-between point where I think it's printable, playable, but not quite useful, if you catch my drift. I'm still giving it almost-full marks here, though, because this critique is very nitpicky.

The lack of flavor hurts it, as there's definitely space on the card template, but I guess I can't hold that against it too hard since Murder just did it. I think the name doesn't stand for itself like Murder does though (Murder just sounds iconic!) so I had to dock it a few flavor points.

4.5/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 3.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 18/20

Balaviaris

Quote:
Tear Down 1RR

Sorcery - Uncommon

Destroy target land you don't control.

Overload 7RR (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with "each".)

-"Give dynamite to a goblin and it will demolish a building. Teach it how to make dynamite and it will destroy Ravnica."
-"Then we are lucky they are so stupid."

Challenge-wise, this has one word too many, so that's a 0.5 point deduction.

Card-wise, Wizards has basically admitted that land destruction at 3 mana is too powerful, so this is already a bit past the curve. Adding to it the late-game overkill, expensive though it may be, ups the power level a bit too high. I think that this would have been a much better submission if it was 2RR and 6RR - making the original in line with Wizards' new land destruction spells and the Overload more affordable and playable.

The flavor is interesting - I like the twist at the end, but I'm not sure why it's on a red card. It sounds more like the flavor you'd find on a blue/black Dimir spell.

4.5/5 Playable, 2.5/5 Printable, 4/5 Flavorful/Original, 4.5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 15.5/20

Domine

Quote:
For Whom the Bell Tolls 3WB

Instant

Destroy all attacking creatures

“If we win here we will win everywhere. The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.”
― Ernest Hemingway, For Whom the Bell Tolls

First off, love the flavor text. I would've found a different name and just used the quote, but the reference is excellent and the quote you've found is totally appropriate.

The power level seems about right to me. I think that this could definitely see play, and in certain decks this would be an absolute blowout. The colors make sense.

Though the ability hasn't been done exactly this way before, it just don't quite feel "new" to me. I'm not as excited about this card as some of the others.

5/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 4/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 19/20

Mr_Weebles

Quote:
Vitar Yescu Ruins - Rare
Land - Forest

1, Tap: Add W or R to your mana pool.

Ravnican dragons, in truly ancient times, were immense and god-like, warring and devastating to nearly as great an extent as the Elders of Dominaria.

I think this is about right on power level, compared to a Jungle Shrine - the searchability and the ability to come into play untapped is big. I'm not sure how useful the filtering is (lord knows Shimmering Grotto rarely sees any play) but the option for a deck splashing an off color, especially a mono-green deck desperate to run Birchwood Armor and a splash, would love this. I don't know, though, that Wizards would be OK with printing a more or less strictly better version of a basic land. They've been very hesitant to do so before.

I don't really understand the name or the flavor text - a tree like Vitar Yescu doesn't really have "ruins" per se ("ruins" to me connotes a building or city that's been destroyed, versus a living thing I would use "remains" or something similar), and the flavor text seems to ignore the name entirely in favor of something completely different.

5/5 Playable, 3/5 Printable, 3/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 16/20

Ssilhouette

Quote:
Consumation of Flesh 4BG
Sorcery - Rare

Destroy all creatures. They gain Scavenge 4BG.

"I offer my flesh; offer those whose flesh serve You; offer those whose flesh do not serve You."
- Golgari ritual before giving breath to the Inert One in the presence of the crescent shaped horns

Like ShamedShadow's card, the lack of a way to keep track of the creature cards that now have Scavenge makes this either unprintably confusing or far too wordy for the challenge. In addition, the flavor text attribution is way too wordy (four prepositional phrases? way too much!) and since Feast of Flesh is already a card, the name is a little unoriginal.

4/5 Playable, 0/5 Printable, 3/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge (or 5/5 Printable, 0/5 Challenge, if I change it to include markers of some sort) - Total Score - 12/20

Kaesh
Quote:
Cold-blooded Murderer
B
Creature - Vampire Spellshaper
Rare
1/1
1BB, T, Discard a card: Destroy target creature.
His victims are grateful that the pun comes after the death.

A Notorious Assassin for the modern world. I like the twist on an old theme with a new card. A control deck would go nuts for this - it's like a Grim Lavamancer for MBC, except it can deal with any creature with only a spare Swamp in hand. Definitely playable and printable. The flavor text is about as groan-worthy as the pun you're trying to point to itself. I am not grateful that the pun came after the otherwise-awesome card. Sad

5/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 4.25/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 19.25/20

ikazuchi

Quote:
Skeletal Crawler B
Creature - Insect Skeleton (Uncommon)

Skeletal Crawler enters the battlefield tapped.

Scavenge 2B

“Where there's a carcass, there will be vultures”
2/1/

This loses a half-point for having an extra word. It's really good, and I think almost every aggressive black deck would love to have this, perhaps even over Diregraf Ghoul if they don't care about Zombies. I think it might be a tidge overpowered, but I guess we won't really find out until RtR comes out and we see how good Scavenge is.

The flavor text is a little wonky - I think "scavengers" instead of "vultures" would make a lot more sense.

5/5 Playable, 4.5/5 Printable, 4.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 4.5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 18.5/20

thelemys

Quote:

Wizards doesn't make lands that don't tap for mana anymore, and this effect is definitely too strong for free. If this was an artifact at 2cmc or so, it would be a strong contender, but as is I can't give it any points for printability. The ability is cool, though, definitely original (it's almost like a Pithing Needle but for all creatures) and I think that the flavor text is pretty good, if a bit wordy.

5/5 Playable, 0/5 Printable, 4.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 14.5/20

judas_bcn

Quote:
Afraid to shoot strangers.......RRR
enchantment...........rare

Creatures can't block.

When it comes to the time
Are we partners in crime?
When it comes to the time
We'll be ready to die

This is the classic "is this ability blue or red" conundrum card. (the blue version would read "Creatures are unblockable.") Wizards has brought this up as an idea before, and I think that the idea just isn't that new. The flavor isn't great either. Not the best submission, though the power level is probably right.

4/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 0.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 14.5/20

kumagmd

Quote:
Banishment of Sprites
1GGG
Sorcery - Uncommon
Exile target non-creature permanent.

It's a Bramblecrush with a slightly different casting cost and "Exile" instead of "Destroy." Much like I wasn't excited by Revoke Existence, I'm just not excited about this, and the flavor is really lacking.

4.5/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 0.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 15/20

InWaking

Quote:
Super Mega Titanic Index of Exceedingly Awesome Knowledge U
Instant (Uncommon)
Convoke, Cycling 2, Fateseal 1, Retrace, Scry 1, Storm

It's like Blast from the Past, but making fun of U cantrips instead of red burn spells. I like the idea, and making it not be a cantrip unless you cycle it is a good plan. I think it's a bit overpowered because of the Fateseal, Retrace, and Storm combination - it seems far too easy to be able to Fateseal your opponent for at least 3 every turn with minimal effort if you're using Life from the Loam or similar, and rigging your own deck at the same time through Scry seems a bit too good. I love the idea and it made me laugh, though.

5/5 Playable, 2.5/5 Printable, 5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 17.5/20

AxiomBlurr

Quote:
Scrag Covern Mistress B

Creature - Human Witch (Rare)

B, T: Scry 1.

Transmute: 1BB

Madness: 0

1/1

"Ash of newborn, eye of newt, a child's first blood and a zombie's tooth." - Scrag Covern Potion Palimpsest.

I know witches are wizards in mtg....but I here doth protest vividly and vehemently.

Agreed about the flavor. I think any creature type should be available as a creature type, as long as we're still printing other random one-of creature types.

I like the three abilities, though I think that Transmute is a little too powerful for such a good utility creature that can look for your combo pieces on the board as well as from your hand. Madness 0 for a 1/1 that doesn't attack much seems pretty fair.

Lastly, needing both the ash of a newborn AND child's blood in the flavor text seems a bit redundant, don't you think?

5/5 Playable, 3/5 Printable, 4.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 17.5/20

Jacois

Quote:

If this card only worked! Unfortunately, a creature being sacrificed is still a creature dying. As far as I can tell, Vanishing does absolutely nothing on this unless it somehow loses its second ability.

I think that's an issue with your templating but I don't think it affects the power level of the card too much. I think no creatures being able to die really mitigates the impact of a 3 mana 4/4 - if it can just be chump-blocked infinitely with a 1/1 and it doesn't have trample, it's not going to do much but clog the board most games. I think it's a very reasonable drawback and a cool combo piece, though I do wonder if you'd be able to pay the cost of a Bloodthrone Vampire - my rules hunch is no, which makes it a lot more balanced but a lot less fun to build with.

The flavor text makes sense with what you were trying to do with Vanishing, but unfortunately I can't give you full marks with an extraneous ability on the card.

5/5 Playable, 4/5 Printable, 4.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 18.5/20

megajenius

Quote:
Psych!
(U/R)
Instant
Choose up to six target creatures.
Uncommon

I actually laughed aloud at this card. It's hilarious. I think that for the power level, you absolutely could have gone with "Choose any number of target creatures," though at that point it really doesn't matter that much, six is a lot of creatures. If you didn't have a word limit, making it a cantrip probably would make it useful in marginal situations; as it is, it's just a silly card that's pretty much useless...but it IS amazingly flavorful even without flavor text, and very, very funny. Of the joke-y cards that were submitted by you, InWaking, and GunsAndDope, I'd say yours wins the funniness contest, the CaC scores notwithstanding.

2/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 17/20

Omnom

Quote:
Stasis Orb 2
Artifact (Rare)

Players can't get emblems

I think this is way too narrow; it could cost 0 and I still don't think it would ever see play. I think you'd need to add in the ability to remove emblems already in play for this to even be sideboard-worthy, and that would put it over the word limit for sure. In addition, the name doesn't really seem to match it flavor-wise, and no flavor text hurts the card a lot.

1/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 2/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 13/20

pseudodespot

Quote:
Garruk's Packshaper 2GG

Creature - Elf Shaman (rare)

Creature tokens you control are 3/3 Beasts.

2/2
Claws look good on anything.

This is a really neat card. I don't know that making it flavor-wise be associated with Garruk makes a ton of sense, just because Garruk is usually associated with 3/3 Beasts anyway, except for his Innistrad version. The flavor text is clever, though, and the ability is definitely spot-on power wise. I can see this landing on turn 4 and causing some havoc in the right Saproling/Squirrel type deck. It's a neat take on a lord.

I think, ultimately, it's a smidge underpowered though. It only has a 2/2 body, which makes it very fragile, and it's useless if you don't happen to have creature tokens. In addition, you have Muraganda Petroglyphs at the same casting cost, which for most tokens is as good or better than this card without the drawback of being far more vulnerable. I think that a 3/3 body would have made it a more appropriate power level for a rare. I'm not 100% sure this would see competitive play if it was printed, but I know a lot of players would be excited to try it out, and it's absolutely original as can be.

Great job.

4.5/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 5/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 19.5/20

JacobMatthew

Quote:
Ertai the Brief - 3U - Mythic Rare
Planeswalker - Ertai
+1: Proliferate, Proliferate.
-X: Scry X.
-8: Take another turn.
{3}

Loses a half-point for an extra word, plus a few more points as the Gatherer language is "Take an extra turn after this one.". The proliferate ability is too powerful - giving itself +3 and being able to do really degenerate things every turn (enough so that Wizards' artifact that has "proliferate, proliferate" costs 6 and activates for 4, rather than this which costs 4 and activates for 0) is too good. The Scry ability probably is OK, but the ability to take an extra turn every two to three turns is just way over the top. Broken the the extreme.

I like the flavor if it, though - neat idea, not the best execution.

5/5 Playable, 0/5 Printable, 4.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 2.5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 12/20

ck3gds

Quote:
Purge the Unnatural 3GGG

Sorcery (mythic rare)

Destroy all nonland, noncreature permanents.

With Planar Cleansing just being printed, I can't imagine that this would ever really see play. I don't think it's really mythic-appropriate. It works in the color very well, and I see what you were going for, but ultimately it's just not good enough to see play or justify its rarity.

The flavor is fine, though I would've appreciated a bit of text to tie the name in a bit more.

2/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 3/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 15/20

BIRDYYY

Quote:
Volcanic Blast. (Uncommon)

1R. Sorcery
Deal 4 damage to target player.

I'm not excited by this at all as far as it doing new things, though as a card I'm sure that Burn players would definitely appreciate this. It takes all of the upside Flame Rift has and makes it appropriate for 1v1 matches. I think the power level is perfect and the card, if printed, would make a lot of people happy. It's just not a flavorful or original idea.

5/5 Playable, 5/5 Printable, 0/5 Flavorful/Original, 5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 15/20

1st: Pseudodespot, with Garruk's Packshaper

2nd: Kaesh, with Cold-blooded Murderer

3rd (tie): PokeMaster, with Purify the World and Domine, with For Whom the Bell Tolls

Funniest Card: megajenius, with Psych!
ShamedShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Pseudodespot. Definitely a fantastic card there.

As far as my card... I'm thinking bribery counters would have been appropriate for keeping track of X. Razz
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for judging! Go CAC 138 Smile
My choice would have been Purify the World.
Jacois

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn it, I didn't really think about how sacrificing it would still be considered dying. Why the hell didn't anyone point that out beforehand?
Duodax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT CRAP GOT 1ST??? TC IS INSANE
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacois wrote:
Damn it, I didn't really think about how sacrificing it would still be considered dying. Why the hell didn't anyone point that out beforehand?

I did point it out.
Fanboy1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really think Pokemaster should have won; the card is th emost exciting

also he deserved extra points for super-fulfilling the challenge (good against cards with many words)
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well is trample not primitive enough?

I like pokemaster's card a lot, but it has a flavor flaw. Why I did win, I don't get. I added another G to the cost to have it on the saver side.
Anyway, if you pokemaster want this contest, go for it. Otherwise i will post a challenge in about 20 hours
ikazuchi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Quote:
Skeletal Crawler B

Scavenge 2B

2/1

This loses a half-point for having an extra word. It's really good, and I think almost every aggressive black deck would love to have this, perhaps even over Diregraf Ghoul if they don't care about Zombies. I think it might be a tidge overpowered, but I guess we won't really find out until RtR comes out and we see how good Scavenge is.

The flavor text is a little wonky - I think "scavengers" instead of "vultures" would make a lot more sense.

5/5 Playable, 4.5/5 Printable, 4.5/5 Flavorful/Original, 4.5/5 Challenge - Total Score - 18.5/20

I have exactly six words and "scavengers" are same thing as "vultures"

Last edited by ikazuchi on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikazuchi wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Skeletal Crawler B

Scavenge 2B

2/1

I have exactly six words.

That's right, I did say names count as only 1 word, apologies. That gets you also into the tie for 3rd place. Sorry about that!
Thelemys

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My card should have said:

Barren Path
Legendary Land R

T: add 1 mana.
T: Créatures lose all habilites until end of turn.

IMHO Skeletal Crawler should cost 1B...
megajenius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha I'm glad my card went down well.

I started writing out a serious card, then shortened to 6 words and thought it would be funny to have a card that just kinda ended after 6 words. =P
InWaking

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!!! Blast From the Past is my favorite card ever made and you guessed it right I used that as a template. ;D this makes me happy you understood.
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megajenius wrote:
Haha I'm glad my card went down well.

I started writing out a serious card, then shortened to 6 words and thought it would be funny to have a card that just kinda ended after 6 words. =P

Along those lines, here's a card:

Candlejack - 2UB
Legendary Creature - MR
When Candlejack enters the battlefield, put-
3/3
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda sad that no one wrote their card in a language other than English to subvert the 6 word limit. Glad you enjoyed mine tho.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2