Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geist of Saint Traft vs Blade Splicer

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
JSUOversoul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Geist of Saint Traft vs Blade Splicer Reply with quote

Ok, so different lists for UW Delver have popped up, some with Geist at the 3-drop slot & others with Blade Splicer. I'd like to hear some arguments for both sides & see who thinks which one is better and for what reasons. Ready? Go!
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexproof = win
JohnnyBravo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoration Angel makes more complicated this choice...
JSUOversoul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I understand that Splicer is weaker to Vapor Snag, giving Delver access to the Splicer-Restoration Angel interaction is just absurdly powerful. I currently have Splicers in my list, just wondered what the opinions of others were.
Candace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't even a contest, Geist of Saint Traft is significantly better. I would argue that he's even with Blade Splicer on Restoration Angel, if not even better off, because Restoration Angel after blockers allows you to get in 4 free damage, which is obviously great for aggro-control. Beyond that, Geist of Saint Traft is significantly better with Delver's gameplan. Vapor Snagging a blocker or spending life on Phyrexian removal is a lot better when you're using it to clear the way for GosT to get in 6 per turn. He's also easier to protect. In terms of tempo-based aggression, Geist of Saint Traft is just a better beater. Geist of Saint Traft is also a better sword carrier.

On top of all this, Blade Splicer doesn't even do much of anything Geist of Saint Traft doesn't also do. They're both weak to the same thing (sweepers) but Blade Splicer can also be dealt with much more easily with simple ground dudes and removal spells. The only thing it doesn't die to that Geist does is Image / Metamorph, but it's not immune to them either. The free 3/3 whenever you play a Restoration may sound insane but in practice it really isn't, at least not with Delver's gameplan. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly good, but it's not a huge blowout that significantly increases your chances to win the game anymore than Restoration Angel on Geist is.

The one thing that Blade Splicer really does is hold back ground forces. However, Delver is an aggro-control deck, not a control deck, and it's one of the more aggressive aggro-control decks at that (Caw-blade being a perfect example of a more defensive one). While there are times when you will be playing defensively and Blade Splicer comes in handy there, you usually want to be on offense, and Geist of Saint Traft just works a lot better there because of his high damage output, evasion & difficulty to kill with removal spells.

Last edited by Candace on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
sc4rs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade Splicer + Golem + Golem is still 7 damage per turn. You need to Restoration Angel it just in order to get a tiny bit more damage than Geist of St. Traft does by itself.

Geist of St. Traft is still better, by a long shot. Candace said it best, but you can ask pretty much any UB control/RG Ramp player which they'd rather face and I guarantee you they'd rather be staring down a Blade Splicer in probably 70%-80% of scenarios.
JohnnyBravo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restoration Angel and two 3/3 First Strike can improve you Match-up against R/G aggro or Zombie. Since Blade Splicer is both attack and defence card. However, I tested UW Delver with Blade Splicer instead Geist and I continue to prefer the second. Hexproof ability is very annoing to play against, and it often can play alone. I mean how many times you won: Vapor Snag, attack, Snapcaster to Vapor Snag, attack, Mana Leak, attack. 3 attacks = 18 Damages; 18 Damage + 2 Vapor Snag = gg
Shagrath

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

It's a meta call. If u are expecting delver and control decks, geist is better. If you are expecting RG agro , zombies etc, blade splicer is better than geist.
CChildress

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the current metagame I think you should run Blade Splicer and Restoration Angel over Geist of Saint Traft and equipment. Lets face it, against any aggro deck Geist deals 4 damage and dies. On the other hand, a 3/3 with first strike beats about 70% of the creatures in the metagame. Plus Restoration Angel and vapor snag shinanigans. You may want to put Geist in the SB for those matchups vs control, delver etc.
Spyx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like it's a bit narrowminded to run one or the other exclusively. The next step in the delver evolution might be to run a combination of both.
Candace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CChildress wrote:
For the current metagame I think you should run Blade Splicer and Restoration Angel over Geist of Saint Traft and equipment. Lets face it, against any aggro deck Geist deals 4 damage and dies. On the other hand, a 3/3 with first strike beats about 70% of the creatures in the metagame. Plus Restoration Angel and vapor snag shinanigans. You may want to put Geist in the SB for those matchups vs control, delver etc.

45-50% of the metagame is Delver right now, and on top of that, the Delver deck is incredibly well-suited to help Geist of Saint Traft get in the red zone without dying. Between Vapor Snag, Mana Leak, Phyrexian Removal, Snapcaster to recur those, and equipment, Geist of Saint Traft has plenty of ways to bash in safely.

(addendum: almost every Delver list runs Angel AND equipment, I don't know why you think you have to pick between the two.)

Against RG Aggro and Zombies, yes, Blade Splicer is better because it's defensively-oriented and can protect you from ground guys, which goes with what Delver more often needs to do in those specific match-ups. However, 50% of the metagame is ONE DECK and Geist of Saint Traft is better against that deck, not to mention all of the people playing Esper and other control decks. So yes, it is a metagame call, and when Geist is better against 75%+ of the field, the correct call is to run Geist and it's not close. If you're going to run Blade Splicer in Delver, it should really only be in the sideboard.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1