Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you use an MTG life counter app?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
MTGLH

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Do you use an MTG life counter app? Reply with quote

Hi guys

Me and my friends created an MTG life counter app called "Magic's Little Helper - MTG life counter app"

We started it as a learning project hoping to use it in our own games, but then we put it on the Appstore and it turned out other players love it, so we decided to put more effort into it. I can say that today it's definitely the best, most comprehensive MTG life tracking solution on the app store (granted, I'm not entirely objective Razz)

It supports multiplayer commander games in a simple and clean UI, keeps comprehensive statistics, and we try to add features that our users request. We've been getting good reviews and GatehringMagic.com even gave us
this amazing writeup.

So how do you guys normally track your games? Will you check out our app and see how it works for you?

If you have any suggestions or features you or would like to see in such an app, we'd be more than happy to hear and implement. We've been playing MTG for ~15 years now, but we are casual players who keep within our own group, and so may not be aware of the needs of professional and/or casual tournaments or other groups. Anything in that regard will be very welcome - we want to make this the best suited app for your needs.

We hope you give it a try!

Tali with Magic's little helper

P.S
We have a demo here
Selkie

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a smartphone, so no. I use a spindown die, for easy reference, and pen and paper, so nothing can be disputed.

However, I am happy when my opponent whips one out.

Last edited by Selkie on Mon May 28, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of guys at my school use it in the casual games there and they all speak very highly of it.

Personally, I prefer pen and paper so I can make little notes that I can review later.

As far as competitive games go, from Friday Night Magic on up, electronic devices are not allowed at the game table, so your app would be of little use in competitive games.

Neat Little Additions
--------------------------
Something I think would be cool for you to add is a voluntary database system where players can input their deck and their opponent's deck archetype and the life history as well as the outcome of the match could be saved and cross-referenced to further explore the metagame. Of course, this would be wide open to griefing.

Another thing would be an up-to-date banned/restricted list, an offline version of the display rulings information for all cards on Gatherer, and an updated version of the comprehensive rules list that is keyword searchable.

By the way, how much do you charge for your app?
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the price in the gatheringmagic article. $1 is well worth this app, as long as you get all future versions of this app for free.
[paradox]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh... gunsanddope - Use of a smart phone to keep track of life totals IS completely legal at competitive tournaments. They actually changed that rule recently.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use an MTG life counter app?

No.
Stucco

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using the the Star City Games App because of everything that is included, but I may start using your life counter. Your interface is, by far, the clearest and easiest to use in a large multiplayer game. Well done!
ck3gds

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL at the Big Bang Theory characters playing Magic - see App Store screenshot Razz

Anyway it looks good, but at 2.99 I will have to consider carefully and read through all the reviews. This latest one:

It overall improved with the new update, but they got rid of the player rotator so that the each player could look at his own life without turning the whole device around. Bring it back!!!

The player rotator sounds very useful, at least more so than turning the device round and round, so I'll probably wait until it comes back.
StonerProud

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any use for this and MWS?
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selkie wrote:
I don't have a smartphone, so no. I use a spindown die, for easy reference, and pen and paper, so nothing can be disputed.

However, I am happy when my opponent whips one out.

I'll second this. I don't have a smartphone, but they are incredibly efficient compared to pen and paper and I would use it if I did have a SP.

One problem with a lot of life-tracker apps is that you can't check what has been done to the life, have you got something like that? For instance, if I say 3 turns down the road "no, I'm not at 12, I'm at 14", can you check if the wrong amount was taken that many steps ago?
MTGLH

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, thanks for the input, here's my 2 cents:

We have a full history of the game, so yes, at any point you can watch all the "transactions" (damage/poison/commander damage dealt), and even undo them. For casual games I think it even beats paper, where you have to fix mistakes with new lines.

The price of 3$ isn't cheap, I agree. Its the price for the universal version, the iPhone only version costs 1$, and there's a free Lite version with exactly the same features, only limited to games of up to 3 players. There's no in-app or stuff like that, you buy it once and get all features and all further updates for free.

We still support the rotate feature in duels. It was always available by using either a button or a rotate gesture, and we made the mistake of thinking our players all figured out the gesture, and so left out the button in the last update. Due to popular demand we obviously brought it back, a 'hotfix' is already waiting for Apple review.

We already implemented the app on top of the iOS version of sql DB. right now we only have stats calculated for players, but we definitely intend to add support for named decks and so provide stats per deck/color, which I think is rather useful.

And we don't interface to MWS (don't even know if its possible, never checked it out), a life counter is mostly used during the actual game...but maybe I'm missing something here?

Wah, that turned out longer than I expected, sorry about that, but I hope I answered everything..
Selkie

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point in interfacing with MWS, as it already shows life and logs it and does everything your app could do and more. (Heck, it keeps track of cards in your opponents hand!)

Actually. Something that keeps track of your opponents cards could be useful, to prevent cheating. Guy brainstorms? +3... then -2 when he puts them back. Casts any spell... -1. Start of turn? +1.
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as a quick interface to note the cards in your opp's hand when he reveals.
pg8

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GunsAndDope wrote:
As well as a quick interface to note the cards in your opp's hand when he reveals.

This is one of the reasons I use paper instead of an app. If there was some interface that let you do this and was quick and intuitive, I would definitely buy the app and try it out.
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pg8 wrote:
GunsAndDope wrote:

This is one of the reasons I use paper instead of an app. If there was some interface that let you do this and was quick and intuitive, I would definitely buy the app and try it out.

A quick way to do it would be a quick select for archetype and/or splash colors with a listing of cards that could be preselected to be sorted by either card name or popularity.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1