Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help bring back ROCK!!~~

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Help bring back ROCK!!~~ Reply with quote

I have noticed the distinct lack of Rock (GWB top end removal + hyper efficient creatures-not just ramp to deeds style sweepers) performing well in the Modern format. Is there room? What do you all think? Post another Rock style if you like...or leave feedback as to how to improve this Doran pile.

Lands: 20

4 Verdant Catacombs
3 Marsh Flats
3 Treetop Village
2 Bosk
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Temple Garden
2 Forest
1 Plains
1 Swamp

Spells: 18

4 IoK
1 Duress
3 PtE
3 Steelshaper's gift
1 Doom Blade
1 Smother
1 Nameless Inversion
2 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Sword of Light and Shadow
1 Sword of Fire and Ice

Creatures: 22

4 Noble Hierarch
4 Treefolk Harbinger
4 Darka Confidant
4 Tarmagoyf
4 Doran
2 Thrun

CMC curve:

1:19__2:11__3:8__4:2

Sideboard:

2 Thoughtseize
1 Duress
3 Oblivion Ring
2 Creeping Corrosion
4 Kor Firewalker
3 Ghost Quarter
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should main deck Thoughtseize instead of Duress
magicman85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Stoneforge Mystic is better than Steelshaper's Gift. If you need a good white 1 drop maybe consider Mother of Runes?
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

magicman85 wrote:
I think Stoneforge Mystic is better than Steelshaper's Gift. If you need a good white 1 drop maybe consider Mother of Runes?

Modern format GWB Rock. Stoneforge Mystic is unfortunately illegal in this format/.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NearSideMoon wrote:
You should main deck Thoughtseize instead of Duress

Ya considered it but...The pain, the pain is quite substantial in the deck already.

How do you think though NearSide? Is such a pile top 3 worthy? I score a lot of wins but have not entered it in a tourney as yet.
EMA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want a rock deck, play jund imo.
What does a BGW version gain to compensate the loss of BBE?
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digging into magic league modern decks archive you can find 2 kind of rock decks that made top 4 few times.

this is a doran version played by cloysterd:

NAME: Doran - cloysterd
1 Sejiri Steppe
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Temple Garden
1 Swamp
3 Misty Rainforest
4 Overgrown Tomb
1 Sapseep Forest
4 Forest
1 Stirring Wildwood
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Knight of the Reliquary
3 Dungrove Elder
4 Dark Confidant
4 Noble Hierarch
3 Birds of Paradise
3 Doran, the Siege Tower
3 Path to Exile
4 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Sword of Light and Shadow
2 Sword of Fire and Ice
SB: 3 Thrun, the Last Troll
SB: 3 Engineered Explosives
SB: 3 Timely Reinforcements
SB: 3 Leyline of the Void
SB: 3 Duress

birds and hierarch are quite useful with doran. if the ground is locked you can attack with a single bird por 2. they also help playing the swords easily as they're mana heavy. changes can be done, of course, but i think this a good start point. also notice that 20 lands are really few even with confidant. bosk is too situational too.

there's also a death cloud rock version around, this one was played by PantheismFTW:

//NAME: Cloud Rock - PantheismFTW
2 Forest
3 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Llanowar Wastes
2 Mutavault
1 Oran-Rief, the Vastwood
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Swamp
2 Treetop Village
3 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs
4 Dark Confidant
4 Kitchen Finks
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Black Sun's Zenith
2 Damnation
4 Death Cloud
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Liliana of the Veil
3 Smallpox
SB: 3 Black Sun's Zenith
SB: 1 Damnation
SB: 4 Duress
SB: 3 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 4 Seal of Primordium

man lands or tarmo after a death cloud for the win. again, changes could be done but this is a start point.

i think your version needs some more lands, lacks of removal and has too many creatures, at least the harbinger doesn't seem to fit quite much, as confidant is an unsure drawing engine (too weak to removal, and everyone is playing some anti delver removal, which easily kills him), and without other drawing power you need quality topdecks. harbinger in the mid-late game is more of a pain than a goodness, you should have doran in play and enough lands.
to sum up, your version is a fusion of eva green and rock decks, and if you do not decide to fully go with one of those the deck will be weaker than it could be. that said, hope you're lucky in your testing.

EMA, BWG has better and more versatile removal than jund. dunno if it is worth, but that's the difference Smile
NearSideMoon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing White has going for it in Modern is Path to Exile. Both Doran and Knight of the Reliquary (the other option this deck has) are outclassed by Bloodbraid Elf.

This deck sorta reminds me of Treehouse (New Extended Doran), except in Modern all your big threats are die without impacting the board. Elf, Huntmaster, Finks, and other Jund cards are so good because they always give you value when they hit the field, even if they get Smother'd or Doom Blade'd. Here, if they have Lightning Bolt on your Confidant, then you're up a creek without a paddle.

Losing red burn (Helix, Bolt), red removal (Terminate) and good red creatures (Bloodbraid Elf) isn't worth 3 Path to Exile or Steelshaper's Gift (which I have an issue with. You run 3 Gifts, but only 2 Swords. That means that your Gifts are bad topdecks if you draw it with no board presence, are rendered useless if you draw the Swords, and cannot impact the battlefield in any really big way because it lacks any relevant threats. Grabbing a Sword is fine when you're curving out or have guys on the board, but if you tap out for a Sword and they Wrath you, you are completely vulnerable. Wrath coincidentally makes Noble Hierarch worse, since with only 20 lands, your mana is very vulnerable.)

If you want actual suggestions, I would add more lands, add more Paths (take out Smother), add a Batterskull (so your 3 Steelshaper's Gifts turn into actual late game threats), and put Thrun in the sideboard for Knight of the Reliquary (if you're going to use Doran, may as well use this too so you have a 3-drop on turn 2 more often.)
MastSkellum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look to my deck, it's a BG Rock, and I won a trial with it
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked it and I like it!! Congrats Skellum...
Cloud Rock is great...
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1