Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

W Enlightened STAX

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: W Enlightened STAX Reply with quote

I originally got this deck shell from a really good STAX player on here, but I can not for the life of me remember his name. Anyways I modified it a lot to make it better in a meta with a ton of "fair decks" and increase it's consistency by incorporating enlightened tutor to make sure I have whatever I need when I need it. So far here is the list

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
3 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
3 [TE] Wasteland
2 [DK] Maze of Ith
7 [CHK] Plains (4)
3 [TE] Ancient Tomb
3 [EX] City of Traitors
1 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
2 [M12] Buried Ruin
1 [DDF] Mishra's Factory
1 [LG] Karakas

// Creatures
4 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic

// Spells
1 [DS] Trinisphere
3 [NPH] Batterskull
3 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
2 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
4 [SH] Mox Diamond
1 [LG] Moat
2 [ARC] Oblivion Ring
3 [PT] Armageddon
2 [DDF] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 [TE] Humility
1 [CHK] Sensei's Divining Top
4 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
SB: 3 [MR] Chalice of the Void
SB: 1 [ARC] Oblivion Ring
SB: 2 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
SB: 3 [9E] Wrath of God
SB: 1 [ISD] Witchbane Orb
SB: 1 [SOK] Manriki-Gusari
SB: 2 [8E] Defense Grid

alright, here goes the arduous task of trying to explain all the card choices. Oh boy here we go

Lands:
3 Flagstones: works like a plains but it fetches a plains when you use Armageddon, also you can kind of use them like fetches if you have 2.

3 wastelands: kind of want the 4th, but they are pretty bad against mono decks, however this and an early crucible can quickly lock the game against a lot of decks, especially when you get out ghostly prison

2 Maze of Ith: great against delver decks and in conjunction with your prisons, making each attack cost so much mana.

1 Horizon canopy: becomes a draw engine with crucible, also adds white mana, but it's kinda painful. You really only want to be using it for the draw engine

1 Tabernacle: in the original list he put one in the side, but the meta has shifted from unfair/control decks to creatures. This card really slows them down a lot because your opponent will not be able to use their mana as effectively as they want to giving you time to get your defenses up.

2 buried ruins: one of my additions to the list, it is fantastic with crucible. if your opponent destroys the crucible you can sac this land and return the crucible then play the crucible and return your land, also great for doing things like bringing back your batterskulls especially in resp to surgical extraction

1 mishras factory: I wanted a recursive threat that I could use to carry my jiti into battle even if my opponent is blowing up all my creatures. Also I want to have enough threats that I do not get destroyed by a couple surgical extractions

1 karakas: defensive measures for emrakul and other big scary legends, gotta keep it in there for them and at it's worst it's just a plains. May want some sb mangaras for it though in hind sight, they may be to bad though with humility.

Creatures

4 Stoneforge Mystics: no secrets about this card he works exceptionally well with a mox, also he is fast and if he resolves you get uncounterable batterskulls or a jitti (btw with a 2 mana land you can cast, equip and swing with jitti by turn 2 which rocks against those fair decks) like all creatures though, he sucks when you get humillity

3 Batterskull: while not technically a creature it pretty much is for all intensive purposes. 60% of the time your going to use stoneforge mystic to get it out. But you end up hard casting them a lot of the time as well. Also it's worth noting this he works FANTASTICALLY well with humility, unlike any other creature he actually gets bigger since the token becomes a 1/1. in the loooooooooooong game you can even generate tokens by bouncing and playing him over and over.

Spells:

1 trinisphere: I only want 1 of these because a lot of decks can operate on 3 mana already and in the few matchups where it's great (storm/combo) I can just tutor for it with enlightened tutor.

3 ghostly prison: one of the most powerful cards in the deck, the fourth is in the sb for space reasons mainly, and with tutor it's like having 7 in the deck already. But this pretty much says your opponent must tap out to attack with 1 creature. Prison is also devastating when you play armagedon. I still remember looking down an army of goblins (like 14) that couldn't attack due to this, tabernacle, and maze of ith. I eventually won with a few batterskulls.

1 Chalice of the void: Can completely cripple many decks (delver/combo) Against hive mind set this at 0 and then you just have to worry about emrakul so get either an oblivion ring or a humility (all tutorable)

2 Crucible of Worlds: kinda obvious what this does, I'm not sure if I want 2 or 1 though since ruin makes it much more durable however it is a VERY powerful card in this deck so the extra one makes it more likely that you will get it, and is insurance against oblivion ring. Lets list some of the things that crucible does, 1) recurs wasteland to lock your opponent out, 2) recurs mishra's factory for a constant threat 3) is a CA engine with canopy 4) brings back city of traitors 5) recurs burried ruins 6) takes the cost away from mox diamonds 7) and most important, makes it so you recover quickly from armagedon

4 mox diamond: works well with crucible, and accelerates into very quick starts like turn 1 trinisphere or crucible or stoneforge or chalice of the void or prison

1 moat: can just win against many decks especially when combined with humility. The only problem with it is that it makes it so that you cannot attack as well (which may lead me to switch from factory to inkmoth nexus)

2 oblivion ring: Kinda a Catch all card you need them against things like planeswalkers or emrakul

3 armagedon: this card generates a lot of GGs. What this card bassically does is when you establish a winning board state you win once it resolves or if you have a prison, you stasis their creatures

2 elspeth: this is a slot that has been changing a lot but with the inclusion of moat Elspeth ability to give something flying is very important. Also she can generate bodies to carry jitte's. I am not sure if there is a better threat to replace her with though

1 humility: this is probably one of the best cards in the deck. It is killer against all the fair decks in the format taking away all of their utility creatures and making them far inferior to your batterskulls

1 sensei's divining top: good card selection against control decks There might be better targets but so far I've liked it

4 enlightened tutor: So far I have LOVED having this in the deck. It gets you anything you need whenever you need it and hides it on top of your deck where your opponent cannot thoughtseize it.

1 umezawa's jitte: very powerful against those creature decks, if you can stick one of these on a batterskull your in great shape.

anyways this has taken me over an hour to write and it's midnight so I won't be going over the sb. Anyways let me know what you guys think and suggest.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated to a list that I feel is more refined.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
2 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
3 [TE] Wasteland
2 [DK] Maze of Ith
3 [TE] Ancient Tomb
3 [EX] City of Traitors
1 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
1 [LG] The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale
1 [M12] Buried Ruin
1 [DS] Blinkmoth Nexus
9 [ISD] Plains (2)
1 [LG] Karakas

// Creatures
4 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic
1 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph

// Spells
3 [NPH] Batterskull
3 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
1 [MR] Chalice of the Void
2 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
4 [SH] Mox Diamond
1 [LG] Moat
2 [ARC] Oblivion Ring
3 [PT] Armageddon
2 [DDF] Elspeth, Knight-Errant
1 [TE] Humility
4 [MI] Enlightened Tutor
1 [BOK] Umezawa's Jitte
1 [ZEN] Expedition Map

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [CHK] Ghostly Prison
SB: 3 [MR] Chalice of the Void
SB: 1 [ARC] Oblivion Ring
SB: 1 [PT] Armageddon
SB: 1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
SB: 1 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
SB: 3 [9E] Wrath of God
SB: 1 [SOK] Manriki-Gusari
SB: 1 [8E] Defense Grid
SB: 2 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph

some noteworthy changes:

-1 top +1 expedition map: top is a very powerful card selection card but it did not have a lot of support from this deck, expedition map on the other hand lets me grab whatever land I need. It also lets me drop some lands down to 1 of's and increase my basic count making blood moon ineffective.

-1 mishra's factory +1 blinkmoth nexus: flying makes a difference when humility is in play. The evasion is also nice for carrying a jitti into combat. The reason for the choice of blinkmoth over inkmoth is because blinkmoth is able to kill a delver by itself.

-1 trinisphere +1 metamorph: trinisphere was not doing much. It does not do anything that a chalice set at 1 could not do and chalice is cheaper metamorph on the other hand is great at generating more offence via copying batterskull and also is great against legends. (also against hive mind you will usually see island and drop chalice at 1, then if they show and tell when you have a metamorph in hand then if they show hive mind you copy chalice at 0 and if they show emrakul you copy emrakul and stop that combo).

sb:

-1 crypt -1 defense grid -1 witchbane orb: Not to worried about graveyard decks right now dredge losses to ghostly prison reanimator just needs the one crypt to buy me enough time to set up chalice at 1 and 2. I only need one defense grid against things like delver the defense grid might not even be worth it in general against delver. And for witchbane orb that was more useful against combo but it is nice to have against burn I may put one back in now that I think of it.

+2 metamorph +1 armagedon: there are many MU's where my opponents are very weak to an armagedon and metamorphs are very flexible.
Spyx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like enlightened tutor in this kind of deck. The white stax decks often have action light hands, and losing a card to tutor something can really hurt. It's especially bad if they counter what you got, or postboard just grudge of disenchant it.
It also makes you play less then 4 chalice of the void which is the main reason to play a stax deck.

Changes I would make:
-4 Enlightened Tutor
-1 SDT
-1 Map
-1 Moat (the worst against the new hype lingering souls)
-1 Buried Ruin
-1 Blinkmoth Nexus

+3 Chalice of the Void
+2 Trinisphere
+1 Humility
+1 Oblivion Ring
+1 Ancient Tomb
+1 City of Traitors
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spyx wrote:
I really don't like enlightened tutor in this kind of deck. The white stax decks often have action light hands, and losing a card to tutor something can really hurt. It's especially bad if they counter what you got, or postboard just grudge of disenchant it.
It also makes you play less then 4 chalice of the void which is the main reason to play a stax deck.

Changes I would make:
-4 Enlightened Tutor
-1 SDT
-1 Map
-1 Moat (the worst against the new hype lingering souls)
-1 Buried Ruin
-1 Blinkmoth Nexus

+3 Chalice of the Void
+2 Trinisphere
+1 Humility
+1 Oblivion Ring
+1 Ancient Tomb
+1 City of Traitors

Yeah I'm thinking of cutting the tutors, I already cut moat because it's just not doing anything that humility doesn't do better, ruins may go because takes too long, map is probably going to go for a similar reason blinkmoth however is great since it still flies with humillity on the field making it a great target for jitti.
Ashmatan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, first of all, stax isnt even a deck that runs 1 or 2 drops so u can run chalice on 1 or 2 and not stop ur own deck. second, its absolutely retarded not to run all 4 geddons main. with all the 1 of lands, complete the green splash and put KotR in. if u armageddon with her active, its over for them. they enter their scoop phase. without smokestack, the deck isnt even stax anymore. its W artifact control splash knight in my version. without the hardlock of smokestack + elspeth, elspeth isnt necessary imo. they just needle her, play another, some cheesy thing to get rid of her or neutralize her. if i took out smokestacks, that would free up 4 slots for more "tax" cards. Trinisphere looks really good on paper and did really well back in the day with the LDB decks, BUT...the turn 1-2 trinisphere play being the best possible play the deck has, isnt consistent enuf to consider when the deck is played. plus, i dont wanna pay 3 for my diamonds Laughing that sucks. sphere of resistance however youll find hoses a TON of decks and is WAY more consistent to drop turn 1. you run the 4 copies of the 2 mana lands as suggested to play around it. 4 copies of crucible are a must if you play smokestack. maybe 3, but the wastelock is awesome after the geddon. when they finally get smart and get their basics, you fetch out ghost quarter with knight and turn it into a strip mine. they prob wont represent more than 1 basic for each color they play. almost thought about making the deck a complete WG build and put Explorations in it to put the game away quicker, but when you look at it, the more synergy u try to put in it, the more it reminds me of lands.dec I'll keep tweaking the stax and report on what i come up with. In tourneys when it counts of course Wink
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Legacy (T1.5) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1