Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

views on MWS--& a question to ML faculty

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MODO advantages- you can make a nice pay cheque if your good ive made 200 ($400) drafting various formats on modo. The players are better, why cause if your crap its going to cost you lots of money to play if your good you can make money, so the garbage goes broke fast and the good players keep rolling on.

Magic league advantages, its free, you get to test early. As much as being able to beat good players is necessary to suceed. Learning the a million and one ways to skin a bad player and all the different ways you can make them lose when they should have won is a skill.
Weedmonkey
Coverage Director
Level 4 Judge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On corrupt judges: As niknight mentioned earlier, if a judge is found to have something Not So Good, we drop them from the judge team. Depending on the severity of the issue at hand, this can be permanent.

The idea that there are corrupt judges in M-L ranks is nothing more than a misconception - 99% of the time the issue is players who are too egocentric/impatient/utterly stupid to understand a ruling that was given against them in #judges4you. Yes we have had them in the past (ask anyone who's been around long enough to have experienced war18's stint as Judge Director or how Equinox- abused the site to flip matches he lost to avoid losing rating), but the current team is most definitely free of them.

On player quality: This is a misconception, especially amongst drafters. The fact is that people in #draft4you are no worse than anywhere else - the reason players left in droves was back when we supported MWS (and before we stopped supporting any play app) and couldn't provide security codes.

Unless your opponent is ranked in the 1200s, it's a relatively safe bet that regardless of who you play you have an opportunity to learn how they think, what they prioritize, what resources are most important to them (unless of course you're PV).

On free vs paid product: GunsAndDope is absolutely right here that Magic-League and MODO complement each other. Fundamentally, Magic-League is nothing more than letting a store run a 100% proxy tournament. I know plenty of users who play on both MODO and Magic-League, and considering what has come from this league in the past (the Extended Elves! deck that took PT Berlin by storm is the most recent example), it's to the benefit of Magic as a whole if there is more than just pro players developing new archetypes.

On player numbers: Player retention was something I addressed as a goal in a previous article to develop a strategy for. As Website Content Director I am responsible for the How to Start guides (which I've recently rewritten and added an FAQ for), but there's only so much that written words can provide. If people have suggestions I'm more than happy to discuss them Smile
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a Ravnica draft on here a bit back where i was get 10th - 13th pick karoos, the drafting on here is pretty bad.
LuckyDucky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemaster wrote:
reddit has pretty big community, but they play on cockatrice. http://www.reddit.com/r/MTGTournaments and http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/

It's weird to me that some people prefer that disorganized website and disorganized tournaments over m-l.
JacobMatthew

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weedmonkey you really did a good job streamlining the how to start guides and made it very transparent for scrubs.

do you guys advertise on facebook? there has to be more ways to get people here...
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balaviaris wrote:
moscowdemon wrote:

what do i say to convince people to come to M-L?
I advertise IRL for the league all the time. The best way is to describe it as a MODO experience without the money commitment, and you could also randomly win money without paying costs (outside of your lovely account). Our fun formats and early play on formats gives us an edge, from how I see it.

Since you brought that up, what's going on with the cash prizes? I was told to send an email to Nico for the matter, but still no reply (and I think I'm not the only one Smile ). I don't want to be disrespectful or anything, just wondering...

nico takes _forever_ to reply to those e-mails.

Expect to wait at least a month. Unfortunately, it's one of the areas that ML doesn't do so well in.
Farseer
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JacobMatthew wrote:
weedmonkey you really did a good job streamlining the how to start guides and made it very transparent for scrubs.

do you guys advertise on facebook? there has to be more ways to get people here...

Magic-League on Facebook: www.facebook.com/magicleague

Magic-League on Twitter: twitter.com/magicleague4you
magicrichi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GunsAndDope wrote:

Dear Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro LLC):

I should be allowed to "cash out" my virtual cards for real ones (with me paying the shipping, of course). This cash out would remove credit for the virtual card in exchange for a real one (or vice-versa, if possible).

Sincerely,
GunsAndDope

Actually you can. If you complete a set you can "reedem" it and they would ship it you IRL paying the shipping cost(5/10$ if you live in usa , 50$ for europeans)
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> General Magic-League Issues All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2