Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono Black

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
DragonStar23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Mono Black Reply with quote

Deck I have been using the last two weeks that has given me 9-1 record from both times combined. First let me give you the list.

x22 Swamp

x4 Diregraf Ghoul
x4 Gravecrawler
x4 Geralfs Messenger
x4 Zombie Cat
x4 Cemetary Reaper

x4 Dispise
x4 Small pox
x4 Tragic Slip
x3 Nihil Spellbomb
x3 Liliana of the Veil

I find that small pox is the most disruptive card in the current Standard pool. For example, say im playing a ramp deck. I dispise on turn 1 and take something. There first trun they play a land and a 1 drop mana accelerator. I cast small pox and the must sacrifice both those as well as discard a card. I just eliminated 4 of his cards by the end of my second turn. Hopefully I have a gravecrawler in hand to discard to further press my advantage.

Most players design thier decks to have certain types of board pressence by certain turns. Small pox really disrupts this and often has my oppenent sitting there doing nothing. Of course my deck is desighned to take as little damage from pox as possible. Small pox plus Dispise really slows most decks down consiterably.

All the early pressure is really hard for control decks to deal with, and small pox really hits agrro decks hard. I find it really consistent against both mathups.

Some things you should no about.
1) Because Im sacrificing my lands I really cant play the elite four drops like Obliterators and lashrithes. Its all about having early pressure and disruption spells.

2) Nihil Spell bomb is just an excellent card in the current metagame and gives me a little extra gas. Its also extremely cheap.

3) I find tragic slip the most consistent removal spell in black currently but there are many good options.

Also one glaring hole in this deck. I CANNOT BEAT TEMPERED STEEL IF MY LIFE DEPENDED ON IT. It was my only loss and after going 0-and like around 10 to my freinds Tempered steel I have come to realize its prolly always going to be an auto loss.
GunsAndDope

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) SB Nihil Spellbomb.

2.) Consider not playing Despise.

3.) With your one-drops, you may not want to run smallpox.

4.) Consider not running Zombie Cat.

5.) Consider running Lashwrithe and the 2/2 intimidate guy.

6.) Also consider Phyrexian Obliterator, even though he kinda sucks in this format.
DragonStar23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1+2)Spellbomb and dispise must be a result of my metagame cuz there always useful. But I can see your point.

2+6)I really tried to run Obliterators and Lashwriths but there simply unplayable in this deck. Pox makes me sac my own lands, and the outcome of the game is almost always determined by my 4th land drop.

3) If I have poxes in hand I dont play my one drop obviously...and multiple one drops really helps after I pox.

4) Ya easily the most dissapointing card in the deck. But I still find it really useful. The 2/1 intimidater is a good suggestion but I dont know if it would be better. Kinda depends.
Mrrr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my take on it. Need to tune it a bit here and there but in general I'm happy enough to keep on trying. It seems to need a bit of "OOMPH" though. Highborn ghoul is ok where it is but its rather mediocre in terms of value for money. Don't know whether there's an alternative at the moment.

// Lands
22 [NPH] Swamp (1)
2 [ISD] Ghost Quarter

// Creatures
3 [DKA] Highbron Ghoul
4 [DKA] Gravecrawler
4 [DKA] Geralf's Messenger
2 [ISD] Diregraf Ghoul
3 [NPH] Phyrexian Obliterator

// Spells
1 [NPH] Geth's Verdict
2 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
2 [NPH] Despise
3 [DKA] Tragic Slip
3 [M12] Smallpox
1 [M12] Doom Blade
3 [M12] Distress
1 [ISD] Ghoulcaller's Chant
4 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
SB: 3 [M12] Deathmark
SB: 1 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 3 [MBS] Phyrexian Crusader
SB: 4 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
SB: 3 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
DragonStar23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some more testing I find Im starting to get more land than I need. So I realize its time to add at least 2 obliterators. Also there are times when black cat is really disruptive in combination with pox but its too inconsistent for me. Soo...

+3 Obliterators
+1 Liliana of the Viel
+1 Geths verdect
+2 Ratchet bomb

-4 Black Cat
-1 Swamp
-3 Nihil Spellbomb

@ post above, well I appreciate the post but I do understand this. My deck is very good against most of these decks. Especially various delver decks and decks that ramp into varous things.

My deck is suprisingly very disriuptive and my little beats typically close the deal before they can get going.

Ill admit I cant really deal with tempered stell, humans, or token decks for varous reasons. For one pox isnt going to affect them much, and they can just chump block my guys so well. Thats why I was delayed in running Obliterators (Since it dosent really do alot versus my worst types of matchups). Hopefully ratchet bomb will help me here.

Also I can see why most of you really want me to run lashwrithes, but my deck is somewhat incosistant in hitting my 4-5th land drops particularly if I have poxes in hand. It sort of plays like a burn deck in the sinse the games end fairly quickly and I wont have many oppertunties to run many 4 drops.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1