Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does Ice Cauldron work in THESE situations?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far from a judge myself, but here is a shot at it using

http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?printed=false&multiverseid=2407

It is possible to have more than one card exiled by the Cauldron. You can tap the Cauldron to remove the charge counter and whatever mana is on it but leave the card there. Later, you can tap it and put in mana and a charge counter to add another card.

So yes you can have the Wrath of God and Damnation exiled by the Ice Cauldron

if multiple cards are exiled by the Cauldron, any one of them can be cast.

So yes, you would have access to both the Wrath of God and Damnation simultaneously.

You do not have to use any mana from the Cauldron when casting the spell if you don't want to. You don't even have to tap the Cauldron and draw the mana, you can just cast the spell using mana from somewhere else.

Not only can you cast the mana from the Ice Cauldron, but you can use your lands!

Produces mana of the last type used to put a counter on itself, not via any other charge counters.

If the last type of mana used was WWUU then all you get is WWUU for the rest of your counters until you activate it again with a new set of mana.

Last edited by magicman85 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Clariax
Level 3 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: How does Ice Cauldron work in THESE situations? Reply with quote

ck3gds wrote:

1. Activate first ability of Ice Cauldron, paying WWUU
2. In response to #1, untap it with Voltaic Key; it resolves
3. Still in response to #1, activate first ability of Ice Cauldron, paying BBRR
4. Top item on stack resolves - I put a charge counter on Ice Cauldron and exile Damnation; last noted mana: BBRR
5. Top item on stack resolves - I put a charge counter on Ice Cauldron and exile Wrath of God; last noted mana: WWUU

So now let's say I cast the exiled Wrath of God. I activate the second ability, I remove a charge counter, I get WWUU, I cast Wrath of God.

What if now I want to cast the exiled Damnation using the BBRR I supposedly stored? Will I get BBRR if I tap Ice Cauldron, or will I get nothing at all?

In the situation you describe, the last noted type and amount of mana would be WWUU, and the last exiled card would be Wrath of God. So you'd have 2 counters on your Ice Cauldron and each time you activated the ability to remove one you would add WWUU to your mana pool. And this mana could only be used to cast the last exiled card, which is Wrath of God. Even if you chose to cast the Damnation, you'd still be adding WWUU and couldn't use any of that mana to cast the Damnation.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when you exile another card it just forgets everything that happened before it. It was made that way to avoid memory issues mainly.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1