Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Wx Lock Deck - help with Build - exausted Knowledge

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

exausted Knowledge any Good?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oblivion Ring
Top8eR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard42 wrote:
Oblivion Ring
MassO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may end up being a 3 color deck with G and B as the other colors, This deck needs ramp or you die before you get the lock down. Also to help get control of the board, you need more than just that one curse and an additional way of getting it on the opponent so you will want to have Death's hold and Misfortunes in the deck probably 3 Misfortune, 3 Exhaustion and 2 Death's hold with another in the board.

You need early ramp in this deck so I would go with 4 Rampants, 3 Solemn, 3 Primeval.

You need 2 Sun Titan, 3 Ob ring, 4 DoJ.

Lililana is good for this deck and 3 Knowledge Pools

I tried a WB version, it is way to slow and will die to aggro, especial if you don't have two wrath effects. One is just not good right now.
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The need of ramp just because you want to run a six mana spell is a fairytale that should be untold this time.

Just running 27-29 Lands should be enough.

On top of that you can max out your Pools with Treasure Mages that can fetch your finishers too after you dropped the lock.
Alternatively just include enough draw spells.

A blue white control deck that just maxes on Negates at least post board to push the two cards through countermagic.
It does not matter how long you need to win afterwards so any random beater should work.
cloysterd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you're better off with blue for Treasure Mage + Grand Architect, which you can use to go get Pool (or Wurmcoil, or Contagion
Engine, etc.) and cast it on the cheap. Plus blue gives you counters, Ponder, and good old Snappy.

Just be sure you have answers to those non-spell Inkmoths.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted to make a combo version i would go uwb, you could run bitterheart witch, as well as treasure mage and forbidden alchemy, would make the deck pretty consistent, the rest can just focus on surviving prob 26 lands and some pristine tallismans would be nice counters board sweepers, a bit of spot removal . Your combo is powerful but slow Running witch would also allow you to have singleton curse of the death hold for versus delver decks.

I think it may well be able to spawn into a legit deck, in the right meta. to start with, with a combo deck you just want to see that you can make your deck consistent enough before you start tuning it for a meta.

So Start with a core of

4 Bitterheart Witch
4 Forbidden Alchemy
4 Treasure Mage
4 Knowledge Pool
4 Curse of exhaustion

Then id go with some assortment of these cards but these are not essential but look at

Day of judgement
Mana Leak
Pristine Talisman
Curse of Death Hold
Negate
Go for the throat
Domblade
Gut shot
Black suns zenith
Solemn simulacrum
Ponder
Wring flesh
Dissipate etc
1 Wurmcoil engine
cloysterd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrishskill wrote:
Themes are bad news. Curse of exaustion is a fine card on its own, but I don't think it is worth building a deck around. It seems like it compliments UW control very nicely though.

If you're running the curse anyway, Knowledge Pool is a hard lock for 6 mana. I think that's worth a deck slot or two.
judas_bcn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i liked the grand architect idea. this a bad build from my own, but somewhere to start from if anyone wants to discuss about it. some place for aether adept may be done:

// Lands
6 [NPH] Plains (1)
10 [NPH] Island (1)
3 [ISD] Ghost Quarter
2 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
4 [M12] Glacial Fortress

// Creatures
4 [NPH] Spellskite
4 [SOM] Grand Architect
3 [MBS] Treasure Mage
1 [SOM] Steel Hellkite
2 [FD] Trinket Mage

// Spells
3 [M12] Mana Leak
4 [DKA] Curse of Exhaustion
2 [MBS] Knowledge Pool
2 [M12] Day of Judgment
1 [SOM] Contagion Engine
4 [M12] Ponder
3 [M12] Negate
1 [SOM] Chimeric Mass
1 [DKA] Grafdigger's Cage

chimeric mass and cage are there to be fetched with trinket mage. mass is also one of the finishers, thought to take advatadge of contagion engine. spellskite is basic for two reasons: protect curse until pool is out, and help to slow down fast aggro damage. he is also blue to help architect. cage is there against undying basically, though it also helps to turn snapcaster into useless, and prevent flashback too, and quarters are a must to defend against lands like moorland haunt or nephalia. ponder should help us get 6 mana to drop curse with counter backup, maindeck O-rings are the thing curse should fear more, that's the reason for 3 negates mainboard. once curse is on play mana leak is useless. if anyone likes the idea (not the build, i know it's horrible), let's work on it a bit.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ive been working on this deck since modo prerelease and this is what I came up with. So far i can say it crushes all control stratergys its very hard for them to stop you getting a curse of exhaustion into play and once one of those is in play its very hard to stop a knowledge pool following up in short order. I havent managed to get enough testing in vs anything else yet but if the meta ever becomes control heavy this deck can certainly be the real deal.

It operates a little like scepter chant except the lock is slower but a lot more powerful.

This is the current list

2 sphere of the suns
1 doomblade
2 go for the throat
3 mana leak
1 snapcaster mage
4 forbidden alchemy
2 oblivion ring
1 treasure mage
2 solemn simulacrum
4 day of judgement
3 curse of exhaustion
1 curse of death's hold
2 bitterheart witch
3 knowledge pool
1 wurmcoil engine
2 black suns zenith

3 Glacial fortress
3 sea chrome coast
3 darkslick shores
3 drowned catacomb
1 Isolated Chapel
2 evolving wild
5 plains
2 island
2 swamp
2 ghost qurater

sb

1 curse of death's hold (tokens delver)
3 Flashfreeze (ramp rdw)
2 gut shot (delver)
1 oblivion ring (decks with swords or pws)
1 Tragic slip (aggro)
1 Snapcaster mage (acts as multipes of other sb spells ie 4th flash freeze, 3rd neagte, 5th timely reinforcements)
2 negate (control)
4 timely reinforcement (rdw aggro)

still early days but the deck is showing real promise.

Last edited by GreenBear on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:36 am; edited 3 times in total
sc4rs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One major issue is that it's technically not a hard lock, as they can still cast cards from their graveyard, because Knowledge Pool only applies to spells cast from a player's hand. Devil's Play can still kill you if you're not careful if they discard it due to 7 or more cards, as can Unburial Rites on a decent target or the extremely rare Army of the Damned or Increasing Devotion.

So just something to keep in mind, that Grafdigger's Cage on sideboard is all but necessary
GreenBear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i ran into one deck using an unburail rites reanimation strategy but was able to win through, despite the unburial rites, just using board sweepers after the lock the guy ended up decking himself lol
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2