Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guide to Installing a Text Patch

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS)
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Guide to Installing a Text Patch Reply with quote

Each time a new set comes out, there is a flurry of people who either have never used MWS before or have never patched it before. Not to mention, with the complexity of this method, it's easy even for old pros to forget a step. This guide will walk you through it step by step. Some of these steps may be extraneous, but I encourage you to do them anyway just in case.

*Note on Dark Ascension cards: The text patch has only front of card names on DFCs, so you may want to go through and manually correct the names while it is still in text mode to save editting time later.

1: Download the text patch, saving it to an easy to find location.
2. Open Workstation
3. Select any card in the left(masterbase) column
4. Go to Tools->Analyze/Add/Remove Sets...
5. Click Add New Edition
6. Enter an Edition Name and Key(i.e. Dark Ascension; DKA)
7. Check the box which says Get data a from text Spoiler
8. Enter or Browse for the text you downloaded earlier.
9. Hit Next Page
10. Wait for the set to update, this should be very quick. It should say "X cards added, 0 missed" when through. Hit OK.
11. Select a card in your masterbase, then open the Complex Card Filter
12. Press Default, then press Set as MAIN Filter and Agree to the confirmation box.
13. Select a card in your masterbase and go to File->Save Deck/Library
14. Close Workstation
15. Re-open Workstation and your new cards will be ready to use.

I personally recommend getting a brand new masterbase every 18-24 months as each text patch makes Workstation a little bit buggier. However, the text patch is a much simpler (and faster) way to update MWS than getting a new base, so you can start playing with the new cards long before a new masterbase is ready.
Dooby12

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how long does it usually take for it to update?

whenever i try to add the cards it comes up saying error and something about file syntax
Kabelis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is DKA 'officially' on ML now? I see that T2 DKA tourneys are hosted in the 'other' category as of now.
Terri

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it takes like 2 minutes if you do it the way judicator described it should not cause any problems. if it does then you should probably reinstall your mws or wait for the official masterbase to get published. i also had problems installing text master bases. i reinstalled my mws several times to make it finally work.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dooby12 wrote:
how long does it usually take for it to update?

whenever i try to add the cards it comes up saying error and something about file syntax

Only 10 seconds or so. If you are getting a file syntax error, double check the following:
You did not already install the patch incorrectly; if you did, you have to remove it and start fresh.
The patch is a .txt file, not .rtf or .mwDeck or anything else.
The patch is actually a patch, not just a bunch of cards written down; mtgsalvation always has a good one in the right format.

If none of those problems are the case, you should reinstall MWS and the most current masterbase. If the masterbase doesn't include the new set by then, at least you will be able to install the text patch properly now.

Quote:
So is DKA 'officially' on ML now? I see that T2 DKA tourneys are hosted in the 'other' category as of now.

There is always an announcement when a new set goes legal on Magic-league. This usually coincides with the new cards being added to Gatherer.
Dooby12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's only showing up in .txt file.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Workstation (MWS) All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1