Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grafdigger's Cage, new grave hate?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Grafdigger's Cage, new grave hate? Reply with quote

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127359&d=1326776672

what do you guys think of this card for legacy grave hate? It seems like this card would do a number on dredge and reanimator (leaving them with show and tell as their only out). It also leaves your goyf's and KOTR's large (however in that circumstance, your grave hate slot is probably scavenging ooze). What are your guys thoughts?
cloysterd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that if they knock out your Cage their stuff is still in their GY and they're back in business. I don't know about Legacy specifically but I think I'd rather exile stuff.
MassO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the biggest advantages to this card is that this totally hoses GSZ, Summoning Trap, Genesis Wave and many other cards that are being abused in Modern. This card basically just destroyed Standard, no one is going to play an all out grave based deck or a reanimate deck now b/c of this card will be in every sideboard from now on. Not to mention it lessens the play ability of Snappy, which I think Wizards should have done something about that a couple of months ago but hopefully this will solve that issue. I think MGA and BW tokens will make a huge splash with this set coming out. DA is going to make standard alittle more diverse and will stop all of the Snappy decks.
Devkarven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Grafdiggers Cage Reply with quote

I see this card being really good in affinity's sideboard, I've been playing relic of progenitus in the sb of my modern affinity list, and i just really find the card underwhelming, where as like a grafdiggers cage is so good against the storm decks and anything that uses chord of calling, birthing pod, and other cards that tutor, while giving me a artifact for my affinity count.
dAEdaL
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Grafdiggers Cage Reply with quote

Devkarven wrote:
I see this card being really good in affinity's sideboard, I've been playing relic of progenitus in the sb of my modern affinity list, and i just really find the card underwhelming, where as like a grafdiggers cage is so good against the storm decks and anything that uses chord of calling, birthing pod, and other cards that tutor, while giving me a artifact for my affinity count.

Affinity (in Legacy) has never had a problem with graveyard-based decks. Crypt and Relic have always done more than enough for Affinity.

Storm decks? I can't think of a single storm deck that would be majorly hindered by the Cage (the closest of which would be the minority of High Tide decks that run a miser Flash of Insight).

Modern? Eh, I don't know much about the format.
pg8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Grafdiggers Cage Reply with quote

dAEdaL wrote:
Devkarven wrote:

Affinity (in Legacy) has never had a problem with graveyard-based decks. Crypt and Relic have always done more than enough for Affinity.

Storm decks? I can't think of a single storm deck that would be majorly hindered by the Cage (the closest of which would be the minority of High Tide decks that run a miser Flash of Insight).

The storm decks hindered by this would be in the Modern format you don't know much about, where most storm decks run Past in Flames.
dAEdaL
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This card is unreal.

It essentially invalidates at least 4 mechanics entirely and cripples a fifth.

Undying
Flashback
Persist
Unearth

and then Dredge is useless

not to mention it also scraps up Birthing Pod, GSZ, Summoning Trap, Chord of Calling, Natural Order and any other creature tutor.

It nerfs Reanimator, NO Bant, Dredge, Past in Flames/Storm, Ad Nauseum + Conflagrate

and it all costs 1 mana, colorless...its incredible
Noremac
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard42 wrote:
This card is unreal.

It essentially invalidates at least 4 mechanics entirely and cripples a fifth.

Undying
Flashback
Persist
Unearth

and then Dredge is useless

not to mention it also scraps up Birthing Pod, GSZ, Summoning Trap, Chord of Calling, Natural Order and any other creature tutor.

It nerfs Reanimator, NO Bant, Dredge, Past in Flames/Storm, Ad Nauseum + Conflagrate

and it all costs 1 mana, colorless...its incredible

I sure hope Wizards knows what it is doing...
lucksick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noremac wrote:
I sure hope Wizards knows what it is doing...

Of course they know! Making another 20$+ card for blue control decks by making it 1cc for trinket mage to play along with snapcasters! Other colored decks can join in on the fun as well though, since it's colorless.

Last edited by lucksick on Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
straca3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That card isnt that good, in T2 its unplayable.
In modern its ok against Past in Flames decks (same like Cannonist, Rule of Law), they just have to bounce it before they go off, its really great against the Melira decks though and like someone pointed here, it could be played in Affinity.

In legacy its pretty bad news for a dredge cause its the same like Leyline of the Void but for 1 colorless, its mediocre against Reanimator (Relic, Crypt is still better) and awful against ale the GSZ decks, seriously, what if they dont have a GSZ in hand, then you just wasted one card.

From all the reactions, I have read about this card a lot of ppl are freaking out, I dont really got it, seriously think about it.
Devkarven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Grafdiggers Cage Reply with quote

dAEdaL wrote:
Devkarven wrote:

I dont remember saying anything about legacy affinity but k? Its usefulness in modern stops the past in flames storm decks is what i was talking about storm decks.
struikje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straca3 wrote:
That card isnt that good, in T2 its unplayable.
In modern its ok against Past in Flames decks (same like Cannonist, Rule of Law), they just have to bounce it before they go off, its really great against the Melira decks though and like someone pointed here, it could be played in Affinity.

You say it is unplayable in standard though doesn't it just cancel out birthing pod? it basically works like torpor orb does, and torpor orb saw play. Plus, as said before green suns zenith/snapcaster mage/...
are all very good cards or a trinket mage target.

I'm not saying its wins you games, but it definetely has potential to be a good card, in T2 (and especially block!) aswell.
Fanboy1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucksick wrote:

Of course they know! Making another 20$+ card for blue control decks by making it 1cc for trinket mage to play along with snapcasters!

Doesnt play along so well with Snapcasters actually.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the best sideboard cards to ever see print.

Its quite similar to pithing needle in that it can never be broken itself but it can stop a lot of other cards from being broken and the bigger the card pool the better it gets. I would say its probably at its best in legacy, where you run into all sorts of random decks, that it will be randomly good vs. on top of the decks it directly hoses.

Last edited by GreenBear on Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2