Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Create-a-Card Round 82 - Starting Off Strong

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Create-a-Card Round 82 - Starting Off Strong Reply with quote

Simply, I'd like to see cards like the Leylines, Chancellors, Serum Powder, Gemstone Caverns, etc. Your card must have some effect before the game begins, or right as the game begins.

RUBRIC
MECHANICS
3 points for a card that would see print by Wizards, has a rarity that matches its power level, and that has "If <<this>> is in your opening hand, [something]" or a similar effect.
2 points for a card that may be slightly over or underpowered by itself, or mismatched to its rarity, or that doesn't really effect the game before the game begins (like a 0 cost card).
1 point for a card that has significant power level issues, is a completely inappropriate rarity, but still does something new and interesting before the game starts, or one that is OK with power level and rarity but doesn't have anything to do with starting before the game.
0 points for a card that doesn't fit any criteria whatsoever.

FLAVOR
2 points for a card that has a name, type/s, ability/ies, and flavor text that work together as a cohesive whole. In addition, the card is worded as a normal Magic card is.
1 point for a card that has a name, type/s, ability/ies, and flavor, but that don't work quite as well together, or for a card with some spelling/layout errors.
0 points for a card that doesn't include any attempt at flavor whatsoever, or that has serious spelling/layout errors.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the topic this time around, but you;re going to have trouble judging on a 0-5 scale -- too many ties that way.

Anyway, I'll probably make an entry soon.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xJudicatorx wrote:
I really like the topic this time around, but you;re going to have trouble judging on a 0-5 scale -- too many ties that way.

Anyway, I'll probably make an entry soon.

I've done it before - I do lots of fractions (.25/.5/.75) so it's more like a 20 point scale.
blitzer2k7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mana Seance 2GG

Enchantment - Mythic

If Mana Seance is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.

G: Lands you control that you tap for mana produce an additional mana of your choice until end of turn. Activate this ability only once per turn.

2GG, Sacrifice Mana Seance: Lands you control produce an additional mana of your choice for the rest of the game.

Last edited by blitzer2k7 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:44 am; edited 5 times in total
Chaosworm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory Bottle {7}
Artifact [Rare]
If there are three or less cards in your opening hand, you may reveal ~ from your opening hand and shuffle it into its owner's library. If you do, draw four cards.
"What was my plan again? Oh yeah, now I remember."

I didn't forget to add rules text that does something when it's on the battlefield, the high mana cost is there just for Dark Confidant and to prevent someone using this for affinity or storm count. It's intentionally underpowered, because WotC wouldn't ever print a playable version of this card.

@OP: So I could get 3/5 with a balanced card that's flavorfully great without even trying to have it do anything related to the theme of this round?

Last edited by Chaosworm on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
coolcreep

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eager Recruit - 1W
Creature - Human Soldier - Uncommon

If Eager Recruit is in your opening hand, you may start the game with it on the battlefield. If you do, put a -1/-1 counter on Eager Recruit.

2/2

He leaps before he looks.

Last edited by coolcreep on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
sc4rs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaosworm wrote:

@OP: So I could get 3/5 with a balanced card that's flavorfully great without even trying to have it do anything related to the theme of this round?

Yup. That's a flaw in the rubric which I don't really like, but since a 3/5 is never going to win a CaC, I don't think it's a huge deal. The way the rubric is set up, it lets me be more picky about stuff in the 4-5 range, which is where the winners usually are.
MassO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Improbable Luck of the Rainbow - WUBGR

Legendary Enchantment - Mythic

You may only have one copy of ~ in your library.

If ~ is in your opening hand, you may begin the game with it on the battlefield.

When ~ enters the battlefield, you win the game, at the beginning of the
next game remove ~ from the game.

"Looks like we found gold, but why does it disappear?" - Stupid little goblin
cloysterd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curse of Sleepless Death (Rare)
2BB
Enchantment - Aura Curse

Enchant player

If Curse of Sleepless Death is in your opening hand, you may put it into play attached to a player of your choice.

Whenever a nontoken creature controlled by enchanted player dies, you may exile that card. If you do, put a 2/2 black Zombie creature token into play under your control.

"May your dead rise before you dig their graves."

Last edited by cloysterd on Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relentless Flames 1RR

Instant - Uncommon

You may reveal this card from your opening hand. If you do, at the beginning of the first upkeep, you may cast it without paying its mana cost.

Relentless Flames deals 2 damage to each player.

A deck can have any number of cards named Relentless Flames.

"We finally found a way to put it out, but i'm not sure you want to hear it." - Flig, goblin arsonist
AEonFlux

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1G
Sorcery
Uncommon

If this card is in your opening hand, you may reveal it. If you do, discard it and Search Your Library for a land card and put it into play tapped.

Search your library for a basic land card, and put it into play tapped.

"Knowing your battlefield is just as important as knowing your opponent"
--Elvish Champion
tinman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: rainbow familiar Reply with quote

Familiar of the domain, Wurbg, Rare

<aspect> When ~ enters play you may reveal one of each basic land type from your hand, for each land revealed ~ takes on a different aspect,if multiple land types are revealed combine the aspects.
forest 3/3 trample, island 1/1 hexproof, plains 3/1 flying, mountain 3/2 first strike, swamp 2/1 pay 2 life and draw 2 cards as ~ enters play.

"Different people see different things, only a few see the true potential". Barrin master wizard

so just to clear a few things up aspect is keyword i came up with on the fly. and yes a reveal of all five land types will get u a 10/8 with all of those abilities.
CharlesT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mana Exude - 2UU
Instant - Mythic
You may discard this card from your opening hand to get an emblem with "The next time an opponent would cast a spell, all copies of Mana Exude gain Flashback 0 until end of turn. Destroy this emblem."

Exile target spell with coverted mana cost 4 or less. At the beginning of your next main phase, add X to your mana pool, where X is that spell's converted mana cost.
"Mana knowledge is to use wisely" - Jace Beleren

Last edited by CharlesT on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
pseudodespot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paradox Sphinx 4UU

Creature - Sphinx (mythic)

Flying

If you would begin the game with ~ in your hand or ~ would be put into a graveyard from anywhere, instead you may exile it with four time counters on it and it gains suspend.

4/4

You will meet her multiple times but not necessarily in the right chronological order.

Thanks to everyone who pointed out my errors on this. The replacement is by far more powerfull so I scaled down the P/T on it.
The "may" may look weird but since the ability refers to a hidden zone it would cause a massive amount of gameplay errors if it would be mandatory.

Last edited by pseudodespot on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:55 am; edited 10 times in total
Fanboy1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chainer's Seal 1BB

Enchantment (Uncommon)

If Chainer's Seal is in your opening hand, you may pay 3 life. If you do, begin the game with it on the battlefield.

Sacrifice Chainer's Seal: Target player sacrifices a creature.

Blood forces the pace of the frenzy.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3