Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stifle x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to prevent him from being shuffled back in right? Yes, you can Stifle that.
niknight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's true that Emrakul has protection from colored spells, the trick here is that you are not targeting Emrakul. You are, in fact, targeting a triggered ability that was generated from Emrakul. This is perfectly legal to Stifle.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be pointed out that Emrakul doesn't have protection from colored spells unless he is on the battlefield. For instance, you could target him with Extirpate in response to the shuffle-back-in trigger as well.
Boba383

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the shuffle ability a replacement effect? If I remember, that would mean it never would hit the graveyard, so wouldn't Extirpate not work?

*edit* never mind, I think I see the difference between Emrakul and an ability like Darksteel Colossus.
magicman85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, cards that have the word "instead" are replacement effects.
Hardtrack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrakul has a triggered ability. That triggered ability is a normal triggered ability that uses the stack. You can Stifle it, you can Extirpate it in response, you can use Relic of Progenitus in response, etc.
Boba383

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that was my bad, hence the later edit. Didn't realize it wasn't a replacement effect like Darksteel Colossus's was.

So yeah, you'd be able to use an instant in response to Emrakul's shuffle ability, but Darksteel Colossus would be shuffled into the library before you would have a chance to Extirpate him.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Magic Rulings All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1