Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mono Black Control

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
conscript

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Mono Black Control Reply with quote

Out of all the decks I've played, I have only seen 1 MBC deck. I understand that Mono Black isn't very strong at the moment, but unfortunately I'm stubborn and it's the only color I play, and have ever played since I first got into MTG 10+ years ago.

After lots of pain of getting owned and making tweaks this is what I've come across so far. I don't know if there are any MBC players out there but any input would be nice.

// Lands
22 [ISD] Swamp (3)

// Creatures
4 [M12] Vengeful Pharaoh
4 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
4 [SOM] Wurmcoil Engine
4 [NPH] Phyrexian Obliterator

// Spells
4 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil
2 [M12] Diabolic Tutor
2 [NPH] Surgical Extraction
2 [NPH] Lashwrithe
2 [MBS] Black Sun's Zenith
2 [NPH] Life's Finale
4 [M12] Distress
4 [NPH] Geth's Verdict

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [M12] Monomania
SB: 2 [SOM] Painful Quandary
SB: 4 [ISD] Curse of Death's Hold
SB: 4 [ISD] Witchbane Orb
SB: 3 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
Kabelis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not enough incentive to go Mono Black other than the ease and consistency of playing Obliterator, which, as much as I like him, honestly isn't that great. It probably wouldn't be played even if it costed 2BB, as it's a vanilla beater for the most part and it falls into the dreaded mid-range category.

Oh, and Lashwrithe, which is definitely powerful, but again, even in a deck with 100% swamps writhe is just a random vanilla dude even if the stats-to-mana efficiency is good.

Other than these two mediocre cards, going mono swamps serves no purpose, which is why the deck is weak.
olliemydoggy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with mono b infect
conscript

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of going Mono Black Infect but after looking at the cards, it would be silly not to go UB Infect since Blue has so many cards with proliferate, and the creature Thrummingbird and Blighted Agent which is almost a must in any infect deck I would think.

And yeah what Kabelis said is a problem, no Cabal Coffers for my swamps to give me a reason to run Consume Spirit or put any heavy costing creatures in the deck.

Nowadays with mono black it seems really hard to balance creature and card removal with creatures that don't take too long to get out but get the job done.

Between Black Sun Zenith and Life's Finale there is no good board wiping card. I do notice when I play that I am really hurting without Barter in Blood.
scopeless

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conscript wrote:
And yeah what Kabelis said is a problem, no Cabal Coffers for my swamps to give me a reason to run Consume Spirit or put any heavy costing creatures in the deck.

I've been seeing Heartless Summoning being used to moderate success as a black accelerator. I've usually seen this: Turn 1 Despise, Turn 2 Heartless Summoning, Turn 3 Bloodgift Demon...
conscript

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with Heartless Summon is it opens 99% of creatures up to Dismember which everyone and their dog runs.

But, yes you could run Heartless Summon, give up some control spells and inflate your deck with more creatures so you can shrug off Dismember but then your steering away from MBC and towards Black Suicide.

And Black Suicide is nearly impossible due to RDW and how over-powered white and blue is at the moment.

I have thought about Heartless Summon very much just Dismember is so powerful and scary
olliemydoggy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono black got a top 32
Dooby12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing mbc for a while as well and have found this to be somewhat decent for the format.

24xSwamps

4xLashwrithe
4xGrave Titan
3xPhyrexian Rager
4xDespise
4xDoom Blade
4xDismember
4xMemoricide
3xSkithryx the Blight Dragon
4xBlack Sun's Zenith
2xLiliana of the Veil

Sideboard

3xRatchet Bomb
3xSurgical Extraction
3xGo for the Throat
3xDistress
3xUnburial Rites
conscript

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mix infect with raw damage?
rentintin3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
21 [DDH] Swamp (2)
4 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus

// Creatures
2 [SOM] Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
4 [M12] Reassembling Skeleton
4 [SOM] Skinrender
4 [MBS] Phyrexian Crusader

// Spells
1 [P2] Mind Rot
3 [SOM] Nihil Spellbomb
3 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
3 [NPH] Lashwrithe
4 [NPH] Despise
4 [M12] Doom Blade
3 [ISD] Liliana of the Veil

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 1 [M12] Elixir of Immortality
SB: 1 [NPH] Shrine of Limitless Power
SB: 3 [NPH] Batterskull
SB: 3 [P2] Mind Rot
SB: 4 [CS] Deathmark
Dooby12

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes and it works.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1