Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bant Pod (Urgent Help, Pleaseeeeee)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
Blazin_Alex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: yeah Reply with quote

Um u are still missing the best card stonehorn dignitary possibly cut frost titan and 1 other card to put in 4 dignitary to go with venser
MassO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found with the Pod decks that Pods should not be your win condition, your deck should be able to win without finding one. That being said any pod deck that goes above 5 mana cost is hurting its chances. Having cards that get you two for ones like slimes/splicer/ect is key. If you must top out at 6, Sun Titan is good for that slot but I prefer SunBlast Angel which you pod for then attack.

I would also start out your pod creatures at 3cc.....so I would do something to the effect of 12 - 3cc creatures, 9 or 10 - 4cc and around 6 - 5cc, 2 or 3 slots for game changing 6cc creatures are optional.....

I like the Archon of Justice as a 3 of and BaneSlayer as one and 2 Slimes

3 Dignataries, 2 Metamorphs, 2 Master Splicer and 1 baloth and 1 Solmnem

4 Blade Splicer, 3 Sea Gate oracle, 2 Viridian (destroy artifact guy), 3 Aether (blue guy that bounces creatures)

4 BirthPod
2 Venser
4 Bop
2 elves

you should never be poding a 1 mana creature anyway, so no 2 drops, because you should be dropping a 3cc spell turn 2

Edit addition: Flyers usually win in this format so having 3 Archon and the 2 Angels will give you an easy road to victory
[paradox]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't listen to these guys....... 4 dignitary is WAY to much even 2 is probably excessive 1 should be fine, and I have won a TON of games off of getting elesh norn with pod, not to mention the times i have HARD CAST her and won on the spot.
strider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
2 [UNH] Plains
5 [UNH] Forest
2 [UNH] Island
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
4 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket
2 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
4 [M11] Glacial Fortress

// Creatures
2 [M11] Acidic Slime
1 [M12] Archon of Justice
1 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
4 [M12] Birds of Paradise
3 [ROE] Sea Gate Oracle
1 [NPH] Blade Splicer
1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
3 [M12] Llanowar Elves
3 [M12] Phantasmal Image
1 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph
1 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum
1 [M12] Stonehorn Dignitary
1 [M12] Sun Titan
1 [M12] Frost Titan
1 [M11] Sylvan Ranger
1 [ROE] Vengevine
1 [ROE] Wall of Omens

// Spells
2 [SOM] Venser, the Sojourner
4 [NPH] Birthing Pod
4 [M11] Preordain

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [M11] Acidic Slime
SB: 2 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
SB: 4 [ROE] Lone Missionary
SB: 1 [SOM] Sylvok Replica
SB: 3 [MBS] Creeping Corrosion
SB: 3 [NPH] Dismember
magicman85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valakut is going to win.

You have no chance to survive make your time.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my list with a few notes on card choices:

// Lands
3 [M12] Island (1)
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
2 [M12] Plains (1)
5 [M12] Forest (1)

// Creatures
2 [M12] Acidic Slime - Love him for Land Destruction locks, but also great as a catch-all for rogue decks.
1 [NPH] Spellskite - Owns Twin and very strong against a wide variety of decks
1 [ROE] Wall of Omens
2 [M12] Llanowar Elves
2 [M12] Phantasmal Image - Pay 2 to copy a 5cc creature, sac for Sun Titan and get him right back Very Happy
2 [MBS] Viridian Emissary - Great for mana fixing
4 [ROE] Sea Gate Oracle
4 [M12] Birds of Paradise
2 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph
1 [SOM] Razor Hippogriff - Easy one to forget about, but can be such a huge boost against control decks
2 [M12] Sun Titan
1 [NPH] Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
2 [M12] Stonehorn Dignitary
2 [M12] Solemn Simulacrum

// Spells
2 [SOM] Venser, the Sojourner - The deck really doesn't work without him. Use his ultimate and most people concede on the spot. Don't forget about his "other" ability of making creatures unblockable, which can often win the game for you.
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [NPH] Birthing Pod

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 3 [M11] Obstinate Baloth
SB: 4 [WWK] Nature's Claim - Since their life total hardly ever matters, this is usually better than naturalize.
SB: 1 [ZEN] Devout Lightcaster
SB: 1 [ROE] Emrakul, the Aeons Torn - 1 slot to guarantee I never lose to a mill deck, he's worth it.
SB: 2 [SOM] Wall of Tanglecord - Great against Caw
SB: 2 [GTW] Kor Firewalker - Just added since RDW is getting popular again

Now for your meta, I would definitely suggest a change to the sideboard. Mine is looking toward M-L where you might play against 50 different decks in 50 matches. You actually know who you are up against.

4 Flashfreeze - Red and Green are obviously popular hits at your store, so these should be superstars for you.
2-3 Fog - Obviously you're up against a lot of powerful creature decks - particularly decks based around haste which cannot survive through your main phase. So buying one more turn can normally shut them down.
2-3 Nature's Claim - There are enough artifact based decks possible that you should at least see occasion for this to be used.
2-3 Obstinate Baloth - Always a decent card, but not strong enough against control or combo to be worth main-decking in my opinion
2 Act of Aggression - You seem to be up against a lot of fatties, so steal and sac should be more effective than Dismember.
macdog225

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget Bant Pod. Run this list, I have an almost 80% win percentage with it. I'll note the card choices and why.

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
6 [SOM] Plains (1)
4 [WWK] Stirring Wildwood
4 [M11] Sunpetal Grove
2 [M12] Buried Ruin
4 [MBS] Forest (2)

// Creatures
4 [M11] Birds of Paradise
1 [ROE] Bramblesnap (This card is a great 1 of to race other decks with an infinite bramble, leonin, metamorph combo. It's fairly easy to get out and lets you race valakut if you need to)
2 [M11] Fauna Shaman (Fetch whatever you need)
1 [NPH] Suture Priest (This card in the main slows down RDW for game 1, and it gives you infinite life if you need it vs. valakut. It's also secret tech against splitter twin in the main).
2 [NPH] Spellskite (Great vs. RDW, and twin, having it in the main also protects any combo you need to get off with).
3 [MBS] Leonin Relic-Warder (Gets rid of those pesky tempered steel's main, and those Shrines, and let's you combo.)
3 [NPH] Blade Splicer (A fantastic value card that let's you take the aggro if you need it)
1 [MBS] Hero of Bladehold (A great 4 drop aggro if you need it card)
3 [NPH] Phyrexian Metamorph (Mega value w/ everything)
3 [MR] Solemn Simulacrum
1 [M10] Acidic Slime
3 [M12] Archon of Justice (This card has been amazing for me, pod it away, get a sun titan, win the game)
1 [M11] Baneslayer Angel (Just a great card that not enough people play, it rocks RDW and tempered steel and even valakut)
2 [M11] Sun Titan

// Spells
2 [NPH] Beast Within (Great for those pesky planeswalkers, or even green lands in valakut)
4 [NPH] Birthing Pod

// Sideboard
SB: 1 [NPH] Suture Priest
SB: 2 [NPH] Beast Within
SB: 2 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 4 [WWK] Kor Firewalker
SB: 2 [NPH] Dismember
SB: 4 [M11] Leyline of Sanctity

The sideboard is fairly obvious. priest comes in against rug twin and rdw. Beast's against random. Claims against rug twin and steel. Firewalker's against RDW. Dismembers against twin and w/e. Leyline vs. valakut.

The only card that I'd like to make room for in the main/board is elesh norn, just haven't found the right spot for her. Have fun winning with this deck. It's so meta against the meta it's unbelievable.
doc_morriar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, i played a pod fauna inf life combo with the priest and the warder also.
unfortunately i found that unless you aggroed out early to put them on the back foot, your opp. usually knew what you were up to and put a stop to it.
as for stonehorn dig, im not sure if its a viable plan, but vensering him every turn auto wins some games. however that being said, hes definitely not in the top 4 4 drops in the meat, so i think he should stay at a 1 of in main.

i also dont like the exarch main without red (which in my opinion is the best deck. rug pod twin)

also, a master thief is a brilliant sb card and i love the tech.

might sleeve this deck up later and see how it goes.
mister_milk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@macdog225:

I find issue with a couple of your choices in your deck, and I would like to note a couple things that may not seem apparent at first glance.

Bramblesnap is not needed for the reasons you say it is: If you ever combo off on anyone for life, you don't need to kill them. They need to find a way to kill you, and then you need to see it about as fast as they do. Against valakut in particular, all you have to do is make sure they ramp out a lot of stuff (say, by playing a lot of guys to try and kill them so they have to use valakuts on them) and they will deck themselves first.

While suture priest is a good card against twin, it is only a conditional stop. If [their_life] > [your_life] + [your creatures which can block], than you still lose. In this regard, Soul's attendant is a better *answer*, while still being a part of the combo. Note that you can fetch it with pod with any token (blade splicer, hero of Bladehold), and even a Stirring Wildwood in a pinch.

A lot of cards in most Pod lists you feature as 2- or 3- ofs: Spellskite, Leonin relic-warder, Blade Splicer, Archon of Justice. With a birthing pod, you can save yourself slots with which fill with other silver bullets.

Speaking of which, how reliably can you find birthing pod? Other than blocking with Solemn Simulacrum, you have no way to draw cards and no way to find the particular cards you need in any situation. The reason almost all Pod decks play blue is because you need something to stich your deck together, so to speak, when things don't go as well as you'd plan.

Another "hole", so to speak, is in your two-drop slot. What creatures are you using to ramp up to archons, titans, etc? If it is all just your onedrops, than that is a good reason and I guess I'm just used to playing with less of them.

In the sideboard, I can tell you from playing against RDW that Leyline of Sanctity is the only card in the format that is impossible to beat: not Timely reinforcements, not Firewalker. So, this means that you have 9 cards against RDW (9 very good cards, I might add.) With this in mind, maybe some of your slots could be reassigned to other matchups (for instance, fighting Torpor Orb).

With all this in mind, here are some cards I would consider:

Soul's Attendant: explained above.
Nest Invader: I'd only consider playing this if a Soul's attendant is being played; it lets you use a 0, 2, 3, or 4 to grab it with pod.
Emeria Angel: This creature is almost as good as creating 1/1s as Hero when attacking, and is better than hero when on the back foot. Its another creature that can pod into Soul's Attendant.
Sunblast Angel: Your list seems to have problems getting rid of creatures. Without killing an archon, which is relatively slow, how do you keep yourself off the back foot? You mentioned podding a archon into titan was usually game over, how much better would it be to also have the option to grab a sunblast and wipe out the REST of his board?
Elesh Norn: I echo previous posters here: Elesh norn is the biggest reason to play this deck. Especially in your version, with all the tokens, he's like an overrunn and a plague wind that you can tutor.
Stonehorn Dignitary: In some games, you will be sorely looking for one turn, just one turn, where your opponent keeps all his guys back (before you land your archon/baneslayer, or just to help in the race). This card is gold in just those situations. While you don't have blue for Venser (and i wouldn't suggest it anyways), its at the very least something to look into and test.

On a final note, I really like the Buried Ruins. Perhaps a single primeval titan to go fetch them? or is that being, even in this deck, a little too greedy?

@Cardillo: I can send you my Bant Pod list (with which I am currently 5-2 with today), if you pm me about it, along with notes about it. Good luck tomorrow Smile
macdog225

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can pod die w/ innistrad? Morbid was practically made for pod =p It's SO much extra value!
mister_milk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponder is significantly better than preordain in this deck: between fetches and pod you do so much shuffling that seeing the extra card is better. Without the fetches I'm not so sure, but you lose preordain anyway so ponder is all you'll have left. Sea Gate Oracle hurts, yes, but its a much smaller loss than, say, cawblade will face.

Macdog hit it straight on the head, morbid + pod is ridiculous. I can't think of a better mechanic for it.

Cardillo, how was your mana? I noticed you have only one basic plains; did Tectonic edges ever keep you off of WW? All through the masters I was very irritated that all of my white mana came into play tapped after turn 3, and it definately kept me from being in the game I lost. While you need thickets to play a mana dork on turn 1, is it feasable to play Glacial Fortresses over Coasts (if you can get your hands on them), and perhaps a couple Hinterland Harbours?
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2