Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caw Blade 2.0

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Caw Blade 2.0 Reply with quote

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
5 [ROE] Island (1)
4 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
4 [M12] Glacial Fortress
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
5 [MBS] Plains (2)

// Creatures
4 [M11] Squadron Hawk
4 [ROE] Wall of Omens
4 [M12] Phantasmal Image
3 [M12] Sun Titan

// Spells
2 [SOM] Venser, the Sojourner
1 [ZEN] Journey to Nowhere
4 [M12] Mana Leak
2 [M12] Gideon Jura
3 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
2 [M12] Oblivion Ring
4 [M11] Preordain
2 [M11] Jace Beleren

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [ROE] Lone Missionary
SB: 4 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 2 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
SB: 2 [MBS] Divine Offering
SB: 4 [ZEN] Spreading Seas

So here is my modification of caw. Basically instead of working an agresive creature base of mirran crusader, hero, and emeria angel. I decided to go the sun titan, venser, phantasmal image rout. The disadvantage is that I sacrifice some pressure, however the advantage it that my deck gains a TON of resilience.

This deck is still in testing, but I like the results so far, I would love to hear everyones critics though to help me make this better.
AxiomBlurr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps consider:

-1 sword (3 is clunky), +1 Into to the Roil (adds more versatility/removal).

-1 image (4 is overkill), +1 Blade Slicer (great for Venser, as the Golem is the one targeted by removal most often).

-1 wall, + 1 Sea Gate Oracle (greater versatility/equipment usage/great for Venser too)

-1 Plains -1 Island, + 1 Scalding Tarn + 1 Arid Mesa (thinning + occasionally recalling an extra land besides Tec edge is good with Sun Titan too) .

Notes:

4 1 cmc cards is too little in the current T2 format IMO; cards to consider would be: Condemn, Mental Misstep, Dismember (only recommended if you are running at least 1 Timely Reinforcements main) Basilisk Collar or Sylvok Lifestaff.

The lack of Day of Judgment may cause you problems too.

Side wants multiple Timely Reinforcements, flashfreeze and Celestial Purge.

Just my 2 cents....
JJBeast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first there is nothing caw-BLADE about it. Without Blade Splicer it is just Caw. And in 3 weeks the Squadron Hawk half of Caw-Blade will be gone in Standard. So you may as well put the Blade back in, so you can play this deck a little longer. Second, I just never understood why people play 1 or 2 of a card. Just go for it. For instance Oring is much better than Journey, so just take 3 Orings instead of 2 and 1 as though you will consistently get that 1 card to get the jump on some deck on turn 2. 2nd Gideon is a Bomb, get 4 of them in there instead of 2 and 2 Venser. Gideon is nearly impossible to remove, Venser pretty easy, and Gideon will end up winning games for you. I know, you are saying "but why have 4 Gideon's when I can't get another one out after the first". Again, people don't understand Deck construction. The only reason to have 1 or 2 of a card is if you have a deck where you can Search for that card like Eldrazi Green or Birthing Pod. Remember, a match against a Top deck is going to go about 10-15 rounds depending on the amount of Control. This means you will get through about 20 cards or 1/3 of your deck. Therefore having 3 or 4 of a card is simply giving you odds that you will see that Card one time. Too often people construct decks under a premise that they WILL get that one card, and therefore need to have a Different card to play with it. Somehow they will get all of their Combo/Synergy cards out in that 10 rounds.

That being said, Sun Titan and Image have a great Synergy, since Titan can keep pulling the Image out of the Grave and the Image can pull another card. Put Blade back in for Wall as Blade is only 1 more mana for 2 creatures, one being a 3/3 First Strike. Go All Gideon, and ORing, and Voila, you are back to Caw Blade 2.0. In 3 weeks you will have to find a Substitute for Hawk and Celestial Colonnade since those are big components of Caw.
LLSheep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A minor point, but the Blade in CawBlade refers to the Sword equipment cards in the deck that make the Squadron Hawks into decent threats. The deck predates the release of Blade Splicer.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AxiomBlurr: the 3 swords work great and I want to consistently have them every game, also are actually pretty good in multiples since they can destroy your opponents hand.

-1 image may be the right move, I just really like having them a lot! they are sooo powerful and I'm not sure that splicer can do as much as he can (besides I would probably just use emeria or hero instead if I wanted to go the token rout)

as for the wall, the lower casting cost is highly relevent against aggro as is the extra toughness and he is doing his job nicely.

the land change may be okay, but usually my sun titans have enough targets as is.

I have to agree with you on the DOJ part. There have been many occasions where I had wished that I had them either MD or SB (probably some in both).

as for timely reenforcements, lone missionaries are better with titans and images (you can gain over 20 life against red or vamps)

I dont think there is room for purge or flashfreeze, and this deck already performs well in those mu's anyways.

@JJBeast: ...the blade referes to the swords...as it has for a LONG time, look back to before the ban where caw-blades was the deck to beat and it never ran splicer. The reason that I run a lot of 2 of's is for flexibility. Gideon will be awesome in quite a few matchups, but venser offers me a lot of card advantage and is awesome in conjunction with oblivion ring, journey and spreading seas. Also his ultimate wins games. The reason I play journey is because of the lower mana cost, and a lot of the times I want to be using that kind of an effect on a creature anyways so having one that costs less gives me better odds against aggro while still leaving me outs to other permanents.

given the suggestions I updated my list

// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
5 [ROE] Island (1)
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
4 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
4 [M12] Glacial Fortress
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
5 [MBS] Plains (2)

// Creatures
3 [M12] Phantasmal Image
3 [ROE] Wall of Omens
1 [M12] Stonehorn Dignitary
4 [M11] Squadron Hawk
3 [M12] Sun Titan

// Spells
2 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
2 [M12] Oblivion Ring
4 [M12] Mana Leak
2 [M12] Day of Judgment
4 [M11] Preordain
2 [SOM] Venser, the Sojourner
2 [M11] Jace Beleren
2 [M12] Gideon Jura

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [ROE] Lone Missionary
SB: 2 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
SB: 2 [MBS] Divine Offering
SB: 3 [NPH] Spellskite
SB: 1 [M12] Day of Judgment
SB: 4 [ZEN] Spreading Seas
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten about stonehorn+venser earlier
silverbullet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn 2 wall of omens turn 3 sword of feast and famine gj.
EGalan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the spreading seas in your board with Flashfreeze. It makes your valakut matchup much better. If they get out Primeval Titan your 1 spreading seas doesnt really mean too much. Flashfreeze is just better IMO. I would also play timely reinforcements rather than the lone. You gain life plus get bodies for your swords. You also want to play 3 swords for sure. Makes your deck much more consistent.
aqualad33
Level 1 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean about flashfreeze and I gotta agree, although I really do like spreading seas since they work so well in this deck (I'll probably md them instead) Timely reinforcements on the other hand I disagree with because those tokens don't mean much against aggro when your opponent drops his hero while lone on the other hand ends up gaining more life and remains an excellent blocker. As for swords, I may bump them up, but there is a ton of draw in this deck already so finding a sword isn't that tough, and swords aren't always that nessisary when you can just drop titans.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJBeast wrote:
Well, first there is nothing caw-BLADE about it. Without Blade Splicer it is just Caw. And in 3 weeks the Squadron Hawk half of Caw-Blade will be gone in Standard. So you may as well put the Blade back in, so you can play this deck a little longer. Second, I just never understood why people play 1 or 2 of a card. Just go for it. For instance Oring is much better than Journey, so just take 3 Orings instead of 2 and 1 as though you will consistently get that 1 card to get the jump on some deck on turn 2. 2nd Gideon is a Bomb, get 4 of them in there instead of 2 and 2 Venser. Gideon is nearly impossible to remove, Venser pretty easy, and Gideon will end up winning games for you. I know, you are saying "but why have 4 Gideon's when I can't get another one out after the first". Again, people don't understand Deck construction. The only reason to have 1 or 2 of a card is if you have a deck where you can Search for that card like Eldrazi Green or Birthing Pod. Remember, a match against a Top deck is going to go about 10-15 rounds depending on the amount of Control. This means you will get through about 20 cards or 1/3 of your deck. Therefore having 3 or 4 of a card is simply giving you odds that you will see that Card one time. Too often people construct decks under a premise that they WILL get that one card, and therefore need to have a Different card to play with it. Somehow they will get all of their Combo/Synergy cards out in that 10 rounds.

That being said, Sun Titan and Image have a great Synergy, since Titan can keep pulling the Image out of the Grave and the Image can pull another card. Put Blade back in for Wall as Blade is only 1 more mana for 2 creatures, one being a 3/3 First Strike. Go All Gideon, and ORing, and Voila, you are back to Caw Blade 2.0. In 3 weeks you will have to find a Substitute for Hawk and Celestial Colonnade since those are big components of Caw.

This guy has clearly never played with the UW control version of Caw Blade...Also he clearly doesn't even know why its called Caw-Blade...-__- The idea of 1-2 of a spell is to have options, its not about drawing 2 Gideon's a game, its about sometimes drawing 1, and sometimes drawing other things. Learn to play the game before you make poor criticisms =/

Flashfreeze is definitely a more useful card against green, and definitely helps against RDW. It even counters Hero of Oxid Ridge!
styx^

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spreading Seas are just good with Venser so it's prolly just a question of what he likes more.
paulallan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been using this on mws it's working so far, the think about this type of a deck is that it's flexable and can sideboard against anything,
the deck has been given many names but i'm going to call it the bladeholder deck.

(md)
4 glacial fortress
3 "moorland haunt"
4 inkmoth nexus
6 island
6 plains
4 seachrome coast

2 azure mage
2 snapcaster mage
3 blade splicer
3 hero of bladehold
2 consecrated sphinx

3 gideon jura

4 ponder
4 mana leak
1 negate
3 dismember
2 sword of feast and famine
2 timely reinforcement
2 day of judgment

(sb)
4 elite inquisitor
4 flashfreeze
3 ratchet bomb
2 timelt reinforcements
1 day of judgment
1 sun titan
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1