Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modern Burn Deck

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern
eiGii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Modern Burn Deck Reply with quote

Ok, i've been testing burn decks for a week with poor results, tried really a lot of cards without having any good results till i made up this list that is giving me many satisfactions in casual games, but still has to be tested in competitive play. Anyway heres what i got:

// Lands
4 [FUT] Keldon Megaliths
13 [ZEN] Mountain (4)
2 [DIS] Ghost Quarter
4 [ZEN] Teetering Peaks
1 [CHK] Boseiju, Who Shelters All

// Creatures
3 [SOM] Spikeshot Elder
4 [ROE] Goblin Arsonist
3 [M11] Goblin Chieftain
1 [WWK] Dragonmaster Outcast
4 [M11] Ember Hauler
3 [CFX] Hellspark Elemental
1 [FUT] Magus of the Moon
4 [ZEN] Goblin Guide
2 [ZEN] Goblin Bushwhacker
1 [MBS] Hero of Oxid Ridge

// Spells
1 [WWK] Comet Storm
4 [ZEN] Burst Lightning
1 [MBS] Red Sun's Zenith
4 [TSP] Rift Bolt

// Sideboard
SB: 4 [NPH] Bludgeon Brawl
SB: 4 [9E] Blood Moon
SB: 4 [EVE] Chaotic Backlash
SB: 2 [DS] Flamebreak

Its pretty interesting starting from the landpool which i spent a lot of time searching the perfect combination of lands on.
Teetering Peaks and Keldon Megaliths are for casual damage from creatures with/without haste and when i have no cards in hand thats usually at the end of the curve which is pretty early, like turn 6-7. They help me get a lot more damage through the game.
Boseiju is really helpful when it comes on the battlefield before a finishing spell, like red sun's zenith or cometstorm.
I choose the spells for their versatility, choosing rift bolt over lightning bolt cause its less likely to be countered since its suspend ability cant be countered and when you cast it you have all your lands to tap for mana, same goes for burst lightning that can be choosen to deal two or 4 damage.
Creatures are really versatile and double-sided too. Hellspark Elementals are not likely to be countered since they can comeback from the graveyard and they always do 3-5 damage even if they get blocked cause of their trample ability. They go well with teetering peaks too.
Goblin guide is the essential turn 1 drop for burn and everyone knows it.
Bushwackers can be casually drawn and due to their haste ability they can deal two more damage to the opponent.
Chieftains are really helpful because when they are on the field, if you're facing a zoo deck or a deck full of creature removal, they'll always target chieftains instead of all your other creatures that can go unblocked.
Arsonists are really useful in the first turns since they dont usually get blocked by little creatures because of their ability, and usually do 3-4 damage in the whole game.
Dragonmaster outcast is really good in the late game, when creature removals are less and you have more lands, he usually triggers.

Regarding the sideboard, blood moon is for 12-post and a lot of more decks that use nonbasic lands and it really can stop them.
Bludgeon brawl is for sword/artifact based decks and it really works.
I choose flamebreak over slagstorm cause it damages the opponent too, i know it damages me aswell but my games are always very fast so i usually dont care if i get 3 damages cause i have plenty of life in the first turns while my opponent has little.

Well, im looking forward for your opinions and advices and cards to add/remove, suggestions ecc.
I think i made a good work here, let me know
eiGii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the sideboard to:

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [NPH] Bludgeon Brawl
SB: 3 [9E] Blood Moon
SB: 4 [EVE] Chaotic Backlash
SB: 4 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 1 [DS] Flamebreak

After thinking about how to deal with kitchen finks and eternal witnesses and baloths ecc.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn usually doesn't have creatures.
eiGii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have mistaken the name of the deck type, but thats not the answer i was looking for, thanks anyway.
xJudicatorx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're forgetting a lot of the best cards available for this archetype.

Modern =/= Bring your favorite t2 deck.

Off the top of my head, Lightning Bolt, Flame Javelin, Browbeat, Char.

Also, 3 drops that are only useful for drawing fire are silly. Chandra's Phoenix will do the same hasty 2/2 for 3 and add in recursion.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the sb, you NEED 4x blood moon and 3x Magus of the Moon. This will help you against Zoo and 12 post, among other brews, and even with the list you have right now, which in all honesty is sub par, you will still win due to deny your opponents mana.

On to why your creature choices are sub-par: removal is vast and plentiful in this format, thus, creatures tend to be a less-than-worthwhile investment.

Creatures like Goblin Arsonist just aren't going to cut it in your 60. Start thinking about what it will be like to draw him on turn 6 or later, pretty underwhelming. It would seem like you want to go in a Goblin tribal direction, which can work very well, but you have cards like Hellspark Elemental that do little with this strategy.

As for your lands, it's my opinion that you should just run 18-20 mountains, and 4 of that land card that destroys non-basics. Can't remember it's name now.

I'll get back to you on more ideas for your deck as my gf is yelling at me to get ready.
sirkozi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon and magus vs zoo? He gets kotr/goyf and you place your moon. What it is intended to do?
turdferguson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont play boseiju just play demon fire instead, boseiju will lead to hirbble hands where u take 10 dmg from it against non counter decks
ck3gds

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I propose a core as follows:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Keldon Marauders
4 Hellspark Elemental
4 Hell's Thunder

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift Bolt
4 Flame Javelin
4 Char

Some other cards I feel can be included in the main deck:
- Slagstorm (very versatile, strictly better than Firespout)
- Magma Jet (scry is good)
- Chandra, the Firebrand (PW = virtual card advantage)
- Blood Moon (considering that so many decks run non-basic lands)
- Grim Lavamancer
andrebonotto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering how it would look like a "pure Burn" (competitive) decklist in Modern.

(This one relies too much on creatures for my taste.)

Anyone could give me a sample?
GnikSadim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrebonotto wrote:
I was wondering how it would look like a "pure Burn" (competitive) decklist in Modern.

(This one relies too much on creatures for my taste.)

Anyone could give me a sample?

How about this ?

4 goblin guide
4 grim lavamancer

4 lava spike
4 lightning bolt
4 shard volley

3 incinerate
3 magma jet
3 searing blaze
4 rift bolt
4 noxious revival

4 arid Mesa
4 scalding tarn
15 mountain

3 combust
3 act of aggression
3 dismember
3 blood moon
3 manic vandal
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnikSadim wrote:

4 noxious revival

No sir, just put another burn spell in. Bringing a burn spell to the top of your library for 1 card and 2 life is worse than the worst burn spell available. I would litteraly run Shock over Revival here but there is probably a better option than that, also no reason ever to run less than 4x Magma Jet in the MD in burn.
andrebonotto

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GnikSadim wrote:

How about this ?

(...)

Yeah, that was very helpful to me. Thanks !

One more thing: since I don't play black cards, what could come in place of Dismember ?
GnikSadim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NahHolmes wrote:
GnikSadim wrote:

4 noxious revival

No sir, just put another burn spell in. Bringing a burn spell to the top of your library for 1 card and 2 life is worse than the worst burn spell available. I would litteraly run Shock over Revival here but there is probably a better option than that, also no reason ever to run less than 4x Magma Jet in the MD in burn.

I'll agree with you and go -1 searing blaze and +1 magma jet.
But I can't budge on NR at EOT you have the possibility of knowing your next card is a burn card and I just can't pass that up, I'll glay pay 2 life to deal 3 damage.
GnikSadim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrebonotto wrote:
GnikSadim wrote:

How about this ?

(...)

Yeah, that was very helpful to me. Thanks !

One more thing: since I don't play black cards, what could come in place of Dismember ?

Troll response: dismember is not a black card.

Real response: it's really hard to replace dismember, the only Thing I could think of is ghostfire to deal with pro reed creatures or brittle effigy to remove a creature other than that I'm not 100% sure.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Modern All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2