Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me make my deck into a competitive FNM deck!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks

Am I completely screwed??
Yes
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Help me make my deck into a competitive FNM deck! Reply with quote

Okay, so I just got back into magic around new years day after about an 8 year long break. Around the beginning of the year, when Scars of Mirrodin came out, I built a decent Quest for the Holy Relic Mono white deck that I went 4-1 with at FNM, the first tournament IRL since I was back. I lost in the fifth swiss round to a guy playing Caw-Blade with Stoneforge and Jace TMS. My list then looked like this:

Mono White Quest Deck

Creatures
4x Stoneforge Mystic
4x Memnite
4x Ornithopter
4x Squadron Hawk
4x Glint hawk
4x Student of Warfare
4x Kor Skyfisher
4x Kor Outfitter

Spells

4x Quest for the Holy Relic
2x Argentum Armor
1x Sword of Body and Mind
1x Sword of Vengeance

Land

20x Plains

Sideboard

4x Journey to Nowhere
4x Brave the Elements
4x Kor Firewalker
3x Devout Lightcaster

This List was decent. I was/ still am on a budget.

So, I went to another FNM recently and forgot to bring my Quest deck with me, I hadn't been home all day and made the decision to go late in the day. I found a Turbo-Fog list that looked interesting online and decided to build it. I did terrible with this list and went 1-4 in the 5 round swiss FNM. The following is the list I built.

GW Turbo Fog

Spells

4x Noxious Revival
4x Fog
4x Tanglesnap
4x Rites of Flourishing
4x Day of Judgement
3x Safe Passage
3x Rest for the Weary
3x Timely Reinforcements
3x Oblivion ring
2x Luminarch Ascension
2x Phyrexian Rebirth

Lands

4x Kabira Crossroads
4x Graypelt Refuge
1x Mystifying Maze
7x Forest
7x Plains

This list, I dont have a SB for, I literally bought the cards 30 minutes before FNM started for $40.

These two lists are all the cards that I currently own. FNM is in two days and I want to be competitive. Stoneforge is banned, so I dont think that a Quest deck is viable anymore. I will have about $50 give or take to spend on Friday on improving/ building a decent deck. I need opinions/ help from all you great, brilliant ML people on how to take what I have and turn it into a decent, competitive list that I can actually win with. At FNM last week, I ran into 2 Jank creature decks, 1 decent Elf deck, RDW, and Vamps. Like I said, I'm on a budget and will have about $50 to improve a list. PLEASE HELP!!!
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Puresteel Paladin and some Flayer Husk, Kite Shield (?) [or Kite something]/Accorder Shield, Dispatch and make Puresteel.dec.

Remove argentum armor, keep the swords maybe even kick in Sylvok Lifestaff and SB White Shrine [Loyal Legion] and Oblivion Ring probably.
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't spend any money on your type 2 deck. The format is about to rotate in month or so. I would recommend spending that 50 bucks on drafting m12 to get yourself some good cards and maybe, if you're lucky, make some money.
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, at my local card shop, like NO ONE wants to draft.. I always ask, and they never will. I want something that I can play this week and do well with. tempered steel is out of the question. Since Mox opals are $23 each at my local shop, $92 for a playset is out of the question.
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTG man, or anyone, can you guys post a list of a puresteel.dec that i can build on my budget? I need something to compare to the prices at my local shop. www.collectorscache.com is the website for my shop and all their prices are on there too.
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody like the idea of playing Darksteel Plate/Worldslayer combo?
Klos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [WWK] Khalni Garden
1 [M11] Sunpetal Grove
3 [ZEN] Island (4a)
2 [ZEN] Plains (2a)
2 [M12] Forest (3)
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
2 [M12] Glacial Fortress
4 [ZEN] Misty Rainforest
2 [SOM] Razorverge Thicket

// Spells
4 [M12] Fog
4 [M11] Safe Passage
3 [ZEN] Tanglesap
4 [M12] Rites of Flourishing
4 [M11] Temple Bell
1 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
3 [ZEN] Luminarch Ascension
4 [M11] Leyline of Sanctity
3 [M11] Jace Beleren
4 [ZEN] Archive Trap
2 [NPH] Beast Within

// Sideboard
SB: 2 [MBS] Creeping Corrosion
SB: 3 [WWK] Nature's Claim
SB: 4 [NPH] Torpor Orb
SB: 3 [M12] Negate
SB: 1 [ROE] Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
SB: 2 [M12] Flashfreeze

This is the UGW Fog list ive been tinkering with. If you dont have much RDW or Valakut around, you can put Leylines in the SB and play Mana Leaks instead. Noxious Revival is also ok. It is versatile but actually it creates card disadvantage!

Well Leyline is also nice against Vamps, so I recommend not to take it out!
Klos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

// Lands
4 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
4 [M12] Glacial Fortress
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
4 [MBS] Inkmoth Nexus
5 [ZEN] Plains (2a)
3 [ZEN] Island (4a)

// Creatures
4 [NPH] Puresteel Paladin
4 [M11] Squadron Hawk
3 [NPH] Blade Splicer
3 [SOM] Trinket Mage

// Spells
1 [WWK] Basilisk Collar
1 [MBS] Flayer Husk
1 [SOM] Mox Opal
1 [SOM] Accorder's Shield
1 [SOM] Sword of Body and Mind
1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
1 [NPH] Sword of War and Peace
1 [NPH] Batterskull
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [M12] Mana Leak
3 [MBS] Mortarpod
3 [NPH] Dispatch

If you want it to be more Budget: Replace the expensive lands with cheaps ones and the expansive spells with more Mortarpods, Flayer Husks and a couple of Glinthawks (maybe 1 or 2!).
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the lists. I have found that I can create the following list for $69.75 at my local shop. Its Mono Black vamps and the only thing i dont run really is bloodghast and dismember and go for the throat. check it out and tell me what you guys think!

Mono Black Vamps

Creatures

4x Gatekeeper of Malakir
4x Kalastria Highborn
4x Pulse Tracker
4x Vampire Lacerator
3x Viscera Seer
4x Vampire Nighthawk

Spells

4x Doom Blade
4x Duress
2x Distress
2x Feast of Blood
4x Lashwrithe

Land

21x Swamp

Sideboard

3x Despise
4x Memoricide
4x Deathmark
4x Vampire Hexmage

I have not tested this list yet, im not sure if 21 land will be enough. Let me know your thoughts.
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut the lashwrithes, invest in Blackcleave Cliffs and Lavaclaw reaches and splash bolt/act of agression in MD/Side and play arc trail in sb

Cut Nighthawk and play Bloodghast if you can
Taoofss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure ur twin is the most competitve budget deck you can buy especially now that most lists are cutting Jace B. 4x scalding tarns may be a tad expensive, but running 4x teramorphic and the rest basics will have to do. the rest of the deck is fairly cheap, and can be bought for around 30. I bet you can trade for most of the stuff with what you have.
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkwizard, I cannot afford bloodghast, its a $10 card at my local shop and I cant afford $40 for any given playset. Why would I want to splash red? The nonbasic lands are expensive and Lashwrithe's are only $1.50 at my shop. I figure I can build this list with my budget on friday, then maybe next week, improve on it. Do you have any suggestions on this mono black version? like I said, i cant afford bloodghast, so i used nighthawk instead and I just wanna know if this list I have will be more competitive than my other lists I originally posted..
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and thanks to everyone that voted that im totally screwed up top! lots and lots of encouragement! lol
MTGmanLA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try and get dismember for your SB.
ThE0aUg0MaN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, im thinking that once zendikar block rotates out, i wont need bloodghast anyway, but im assuming that innastrid will have its own vamps to contend. So, that being said, im probably going to build the list that i posted and every paycheck, ill improve on it little by little, waiting for the new set to come out. I still need constructive feedback on the list that i posted. I do not however need anyone to say, "play bloodghast/ splash red", as I cannot afford to do either. I cant afford the lands for splashing red and its not cost effective for me to spend $40 on a playset of bloodghast when its just going to rotate in a month or so. Also, what do you guys think about me only running 21 land? do i need more land? or less. im only going to run swamps because im running a playset of lashwrithe.

thanks in advance for all the help so far
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Standard (T2) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2