Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this a Rip-Off ?

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Aladyyyn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the cards really, quite a lot of rares are pretty cheap.
GreenBear

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's a rip off almost all those cards are absolutely useless for competitive magic.
sc4rs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking to play competitively, a good bet would be to try playing online first. On this site alone there are links to free resources that will give you access to all of the cards and allow you to test out strategies before you buy the cards in real life.

If you're just looking to play casually, you should see what your friends who play Magic do to get their cards. Those 50 rares aren't worth $20 in the sense that their absolute value is less than that, but if you just want to play casually with some friends who have decks about that power level, it might still be a good investment for you - $20 for random fun with your friends is a reasonable price when compared to most board games out there.

It really depends what you want to get out of it!
AppleofEris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to play Magic, a booster draft costs less than 20 dollars (including the price of some card sleeves).
Cableguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of these cards are bulk and will trade in for .10 each so a dime for all 50. So you could trade them in for 5 bucks. So essentially he just profited 15 bucks by selling 50 bulk rares for 20....Do not buy from ebay or at least dont look into stupid crap like this.
J_R

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cableguy wrote:
The majority of these cards are bulk and will trade in for .10 each so a dime for all 50. So you could trade them in for 5 bucks. So essentially he just profited 15 bucks by selling 50 bulk rares for 20....Do not buy from ebay or at least dont look into stupid crap like this.

buying from ebay will get you the best deals for the most part, just not on random auctions like this, you can get super cheap rares etc from ebay if you just look properly, just dont buy bulk random crap, buy specific cards you want or full sets etc
kendiggy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly bro, don't feel too bad. I don't know too many people who didn't get ripped off when they first started playing magic Smile I myself paid $40 for a stack of cards from a friend, there were a lot more than 50, but I think the best card I got in that stack was Feldon's Cane. I showed another friend of mine and he felt so bad that he went into his room and came out with a stack twice as big as mine and just gave them to me. This was almost fifteen years ago. But it's fine man, you'll have a stack of cards that you'll try to make decks out of and probably lose miserably but have fun doing it. And then you'll look back years from now and smile whenever you see those cards Smile
Strid3r

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
magicman85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to play a format other than T2, the best way to make a deck is to just buy the most important cards single.
Acid_Christ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cousin and I cut cards out of an InQuest when they did the special "purple" color. sold them for lunch money at school, to the guy who is now my best friend haha. one year for his birthday I gave him an Oasis and told him it was a $20 card. somehow he managed to trade it around like it was a $20 card and eventually got it back for sentimental reasons.
the cheapest place to buy cards is ebay, but you have to buy smart. leave bulk rares, repacks and the like alone.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1