Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cheapest Decent Vintage Legal Deck.

Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Vintage (T1) Decks
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Cheapest Decent Vintage Legal Deck. Reply with quote

What is the cheapest deck I can get that would be decent in a vintage tournament. I've been playing a mono-black discard deck (dark ritual, hypnotic specter, hymn to tourach, the rack) and it has been doing decent (got second place a couple times) because I can get lucky and break up peoples combos.

The main decks that I play against are Oath of Druids, Time Vault, Dredge, Zoo, UB Reanimator, Underworld Dreams, and Goblins.
Steveman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredge is by far the cheapest deck you can play in both Vintage and Legacy
magicman85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at this list http://www.magic-league.com/deck/63495/vintage_t1.html#Dredge123067. It looks pretty cheap except for the Bazaar of Baghdads. The deck should be able to operate still if I replaced them with Hymn to Tourach or Duress or something right?
FiReBLT

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bazaar of Bagdad is unfortunately the lynchpin of manaless dredge. If you look closely at that list, it has very few lands that produce mana, and even those are only in the deck for non-mana purposes.

You'd never be able to cast duress or hymn Sad
Balaviaris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for monored Smile
darkwizard42
Level 2 Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crackers!!! Bazaar is like solid $200 a pop!!! Vintage is so expensive!
numotflame96

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredge is the least expensive competative deck without proxies. its cheaper for a set of bazaars then to get lotus and moxen plus either recall, time walk and fows or a set of workshops.

most places that play vintage allow 10 proxies which leaves lots of other options but dredge is dirt cheap playing like that

theres lots fo potencial hate deck you can make forvintage but that would require everyone you're playing against to have the money for real decks plus you likely will need dual lands
NahHolmes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is all of one Vintage event a year without proxies, so unless you are going to GenCon who cares? Oh yeah and if you are going to GenCon and you even think about asking M-L for Vintage advise you have about a 0% chance of top 8ing because Vintage is an incredibly complicated format and new players have the most severe disadvantage of any constructed format.
magicman85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a shop in the mall by my house that does free vintage tourney on fridays. A lot of my cards are older and I am too cheap to buy the new ones so that is where I like to play. A couple people there play with p9 but I think I might be able to just beat them with a cheap counter.
Zagar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a guy who won a Vintage GP side event with a Bant hate-bear deck. It was full of artifact hate/ Meddling Mage/ Phyrexian Revoker + Aether Vial. I can't remeber the decklist but maybe someone who remembers can post the link from the event coverage.
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Vintage (T1) Decks All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1