Magic-League.com Forum Index Magic-League.com
Forums of Magic-League: Free Online tcg playing; casual or tournament play.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

June 20 Banned and Restricted Announcement


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic
Author Message
mchosa



Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 86

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: June 20 Banned and Restricted Announcement Reply with quote

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/148

Jace, the Mind Sculptor is banned.
Stoneforge Mystic is banned.
'yay?
Back to top
Mykrob56
Level 1 Judge


Joined: 07 Nov 2009
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, Standard is fun again? Really?
Back to top
DrHealex



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wait, Standard is fun again? Really?"

Has it EVER been fun? I thought standard was just what people did to cope between Legacy Tournaments....
Back to top
Delicious



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Posts: 883

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best news I have heard in a long time

Fuck rich kids spending mommy and daddy's money om caw go
Back to top
P_P4E



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Posts: 579

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBr1nger wrote:
Delicious wrote:
Best news I have heard in a long time

Fuck rich kids spending mommy and daddy's money om caw go



People played with cards available on the format, sure they were good but w/e your comment seems to need a little cheese with that whine.

Sure the format was stale and needed some changes, but I disagree with these bans, either one or the other being banned would be decent, but both is just downright shitting on people who got the cards...


yep. I only own caw blade. Im not joking.

Contemplating quitting magic again. On the fence so to speak.
Back to top
Kabelis



Joined: 27 Jun 2010
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, they ACTUALLY did it? Can't believe it
Back to top
GreenBear



Joined: 27 Jul 2010
Posts: 899

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only needed to ban mystic
Back to top
MTGmanLA



Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 159

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...is quest possible to play without Stoneforge? Because thats the only deck I got irl and im too poor to make something else.
Back to top
Tao



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 864

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredByron wrote:
They only needed to ban mystic
Back to top
testbuddy



Joined: 10 Aug 2010
Posts: 42

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

testbuddy wrote:
jonproject wrote:
ManfredByron wrote:
They only needed to ban mystic


Thanks for the thread, I wouldn't have known about this otherwise.
Back to top
AppleofEris



Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 553

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't Stoneforge and Jace both poised to leave the format soon? At any rate, Stoneforge didn't need to be banned until they printed the swords and batterskull, at that point, Stoneforge was incredibly broken.

As for Jace...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. What am I laughing at? Everyone who paid 75 bucks per cardboard for that over-powered, broken card. Go back to Yugioh noobs.

"Best news I have heard in a long time

Fuck rich kids spending mommy and daddy's money om caw go"

Yup, I agree. For the people who are too poor to be able to afford food and weed, let alone Magic cards, we're always at a disadvantage to rich kids whose parents buy their shit. This is why I play limited only, irl.



Good job Wizards, but you should have banned these cards much, much sooner. I'm guessing they finally got banned because sales of Jace finally dropped...
Back to top
AppleofEris



Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 553

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nico wrote:
Delicious: way to go and assume a lot about ppl you don't know. I know I traded a lot to get my Jaces, and I was fast enough to get my stoneforges at a bargain price of $4. Also, you won't lose a caw-blade matchup when you are playing the proverbial dumb rich kid. Caw-blade is a deck that requires a lot of skill to be played right. You can't just buy your way into a T8, contrary to the combo days of urza block and the original mirrodin standard with the ravager and tooth and nail combo decks. both the formats had the unhealthy habbit of either farting out or kill you in t3 without your opponent really having the opportunity to do something about it.
I can see the reasons why they banned both cards, but I don't understand why they ban them right now. I mean, in 4 months standard will rotate, and that will also take care of cards like valakut, so that deck will be gone too.
The claim is that tournament attendance went down, but I don't believe that it is a trend that has shown only recently. When you read the forums and talk to people (and read the article on the mothership) the complaints were already there, so why not ban the cards before.
Another possibility would have been to ban jace only. I think that, even though stoneforge enables the sick draws in the start, it is jace that keeps the engine running, enabling you to brainstorm into your answers, or removing the answers of your opponents think they can play.
Stoneforge mystic just puts a threat on the table that can be removed in multiple ways.

Greetz Nico



And how does black remove that threat?
Back to top
schowilson



Joined: 26 May 2011
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleofEris wrote:
nico wrote:
Delicious: way to go and assume a lot about ppl you don't know. I know I traded a lot to get my Jaces, and I was fast enough to get my stoneforges at a bargain price of $4. Also, you won't lose a caw-blade matchup when you are playing the proverbial dumb rich kid. Caw-blade is a deck that requires a lot of skill to be played right. You can't just buy your way into a T8, contrary to the combo days of urza block and the original mirrodin standard with the ravager and tooth and nail combo decks. both the formats had the unhealthy habbit of either farting out or kill you in t3 without your opponent really having the opportunity to do something about it.
I can see the reasons why they banned both cards, but I don't understand why they ban them right now. I mean, in 4 months standard will rotate, and that will also take care of cards like valakut, so that deck will be gone too.
The claim is that tournament attendance went down, but I don't believe that it is a trend that has shown only recently. When you read the forums and talk to people (and read the article on the mothership) the complaints were already there, so why not ban the cards before.
Another possibility would have been to ban jace only. I think that, even though stoneforge enables the sick draws in the start, it is jace that keeps the engine running, enabling you to brainstorm into your answers, or removing the answers of your opponents think they can play.
Stoneforge mystic just puts a threat on the table that can be removed in multiple ways.

Greetz Nico



And how does black remove that threat?


Which threat are you talking about? Black has lots of removal for Stoneforge. It's harder for Batterskull, but Dismember, Smother, and Go for the Throat are answers, even if it's only for the germ token. But I am glad for the bannings.
Back to top
P_P4E



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Posts: 579

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think they overestimated the format in the context of tournament attendance being down.

Star city games is responsible for WOTC's shitty prize payout tournaments being down. Why try to grind the pro tour when you can win 2K and basically grind onto a different version of the pro tour, thats almost all in the midwest areas?

^This is 90% of the reason tournaments are down, not cawblade. Just went to a PTQ with 140 people in it the day of a star city AND the pro tour. That's good numbers to me (oh and MULTIPLE star city and TCG Player qualifiers within driving distance)
Back to top
AppleofEris



Joined: 20 Dec 2006
Posts: 553

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomBr1nger wrote:
AppleofEris wrote:
Aren't Stoneforge and Jace both poised to leave the format soon? At any rate, Stoneforge didn't need to be banned until they printed the swords and batterskull, at that point, Stoneforge was incredibly broken.

As for Jace...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. What am I laughing at? Everyone who paid 75 bucks per cardboard for that over-powered, broken card. Go back to Yugioh noobs.

"Best news I have heard in a long time

Fuck rich kids spending mommy and daddy's money om caw go"

Yup, I agree. For the people who are too poor to be able to afford food and weed, let alone Magic cards, we're always at a disadvantage to rich kids whose parents buy their shit. This is why I play limited only, irl.



Good job Wizards, but you should have banned these cards much, much sooner. I'm guessing they finally got banned because sales of Jace finally dropped...



I own the full Caw-Blade deck, paid it with my own money and I work regular hours and are paid the normal salary.
Granted, I grabbed the most expensive cards before they got to the nuts value they are now.

However, I do live with my parents so rent is fortunately not a problem atm.


So, you jelly of those who choose to actually have a job and every now and then put aside some cash to afford stuff they like?

Or did your mommy and daddy not give you toys to play with?

Y'know, not everyone has a good childhood, but that doesn't mean you got the right to start a shitstorm to drag other people into it.

Misery loves company, I suppose...


I would make fun of you, but you saved up your money to buy pieces of cardboard. You're an idiot.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Magic-League.com Forum Index -> Other - Magic All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All content on this page may not be reproduced without consent of Magic-League Directors.
Magic the Gathering is TM and copyright Wizards of the Coast, Inc, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved.


About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy